News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Raton, New Mexico July 7-8, 2012 NRA Whittington Center

Started by TaosGlock, July 16, 2012, 11:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TaosGlock

11 fine Americans showed up at the NRA's Whittington Center for Project Appleseed's 5th year.
This event, as all Appleseeds, acknowledges the founding of our Nation nearly 237 years ago.
The Flags of our Founders proudly fly in the crisp hi-country air of the NRAWC.
Each of these flags tells a small story. These are stories that involve the birth of our Nation.

After the safety briefing, the first target of the day is fired. The Redcoat target gets 13 rounds. One for each of the colonies.
It answers that perpetual question: What is my effective range?
Here 2 sets of fathers and sons get that question answered.

And the rest of the line:

BlueFeather starts with Paul Revere's ride and takes the audience to Lexington Green. History clearly shows the Redcoats/British Regulars fired the first shots into the backs of Captain John Parker's men who were retreating back home to their families.
5 pair of fathers and sons were separated by death in the murky dawn on April 19th, 1775.

...more to come.

89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

TaosGlock

Standing position.

Shooters learn to rest/let down after a few shots to replenish muscles in the body.

And prone...Sarducci, NMMI9100 and BlueFeather on the line.

Tools of the Rifleman.
It is by virtue of the "Rifle" that all of our freedoms and liberties exist. The "Rifle" made it possible for all shooting sports from 3 Gun, IDPA, Cowboy Action, Sporting Clays, Palma Match, High Power, etc. to be enjoyed by Americans today.

Never forget, this country was founded on April 19th 1775 on the principles of effective marksmanship. The North Bridge of Concord succinctly proved that when we examine the causality rates. 44% of the British Regulars shot were officers. Those colonials had not only had mastered marksmanship but target detection!

By late Saturday afternoon we had one Rifleman! Congrats Nick!

Posterity refers to the generations that will proceed us. John Adams said, and I paraphrase:
"Posterity, you will never the sacrifices my generation made to secure your liberties. I hope you make good use of it. If not we will repent in heaven that we ever made the sacrifice."

Here BlueFeather gives a few pointers to our "Posterity".

...more to come.

Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.

TaosGlock

On day 2 we do full distance shooting. We have AR 500 steel and various IDPA sized silhouettes set up at 200, 300, 550, 710 and 925.
We even have a 1 ½ MOA target at 800 yards. Quick, how many inches is that? 
Here shooters bring their centerfires out and get them dialed in.
Shooters used a M1A, M1Garand, Rem. 700 5R suppressed, 1903A3, Winchester M70, DPMS LR-308.
Shooters learn that what works at 25yards, works at full distance.   

Below, our youngest shooters makes hits from 300-925! Congrats!

...more to come.

TaosGlock

The last hour was spent on a final AQT where we made 2 more riflemen!
Congrats Randy(far left) and Jim(far right).

Our youngest shooters got Patriot patches for enduring 2 long and very full days. Congrats!

History tells us that the youngest person to get killed on April 19th, 1775 was 13 years old.
Young adults played a huge part in the Revolutionary War as fifers and drummers and making cartridges, etc.

A huge thanks to the NRA's Whittington Center for their continued support and for the use of this otherwise private range.
Thanks to all the shooters who made this event happen! You are well ahead of the rest of your fellow Americans in terms of marksmanship and heritage.
Thanks to all the fathers who brought their sons.
Thanks to my instructor crew! You guys made it easy to be a SB.

And thanks to our Founders who shed blood so that we can be free today. That is a debt we can never pay.

evans1010

What a blast!  Thank you to all who helped put this together.  A very humbling experience to hear of the sacrifice made by so many while we shot on a safe firing line with great instruction...

Congratulation's to all who participated, I only wish we could have shot both days... Now the hard part will be to wait for an Appleseed a little closer to home.

Thanks again to all,
Nick

TaosGlock

Nick, thanks for coming out and hope to see you guys again!