News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Sparta, IL, July 14-15

Started by dond, July 14, 2012, 11:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dond

Wow, what a range. It goes on forever. 10,000 shotgun shooters are scheduled later in the week.

Most of the day was overcast, making for very pleasant shooting. The high score was a 194. A malfunction prevented a Rifleman from emerging on the AQT.   !@#) Tomorrow awaits.   O0
A lady was putting all her bullets in 4 MOA, but had to leave before the AQT, and can't return tomorrow.
:'(  :'(

Several pictures were taken and will appear later.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

dond

I tried to add a reply last night before I collapsed at the motel, but the motel server sent it out into the wild internet outer space.  !@#)

It was HOT all day Sunday. However, we managed to supply cover for the firing line which helped greatly.

Seven shooters showed up Sunday morning and two of these earned their Riflemen Patches.  O0  Both were first time Appleseeders. In fact, everyone was a first time Appleseeder except for a few children of one of the instructors and someone who had been to an AS a couple of years ago. And this person had a score of 204. There were also some in the 180s.

We were fortunate that the Hazelwood Cabela's store sponsored this event and presented the shooters with a number of impressive items. A representative of the store, and her family, came by Sunday around noon for a planned 20 minute visit, and had so much fun that they stayed two hours. Their presence was appreciated and it was a pleasure to interact with them.

Several pictures were taken which should be added here later.

All of the instructors performed in a superb fashion.  O0

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

Mutti

A few photos to follow. Thanks to everyone for such a wonderful Shoot. It's nice to know that on the very same location that I began my journey (under Wurstmacher who must have thought "Well, Bless her Soul - she's trying") several years ago, I now have the honor of being an IIT3. More photos at the bottom link:

Saturday from the right side berm

AppleCore working hard to make sure everything is squared away

2nd RedCoat of the Day. Herding people is like Herding Cats - not everyone got in this photo

Receiving the items from Cabela's

Early morning "Meet and Greet" while waiting for everyone to arrive

RedFox24 and first Red Coat of the day

Shooting the Red Coat

Returning Attendees

Mandy

Gage

Twice as nice when George63 and RedFox24 give the Standing Demonstration

KD Cat with her .30 Carbine

Travis with .223. He kept working hard after earning his patch

Red velvet ant or "cow killer" :  Dasymutilla occidentalis (Linnaeus)

Something to avoid on Ranges down here in Southern Illinois

"These insects are wasps, not ants. Females are wingless and covered with dense hair, superficially resembling ants. The red velvet-ant is the largest velvet-ant species, reaching about 3/4 inch in length. They are black overall with patches of dense orange-red hair on the thorax and abdomen. Males are similar but have wings and can not sting."

Ethan with George63

Ethan. First time shooter, nice groups

Laura, Cianan and Dond

Master Instructor Dond

Rifleman of Sunday

LINK TO MORE PHOTOS

I'll follow up more once I catch up the frozen washcloths we used to stay cool and the Coolers. Feel free to join in the conversation!

Mutti

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

RiflesnReins

I would first like to thank the Hazelwood Cabela's store, for sponsoring this Appleseed. Also thank you for the items, they were a hit.

Thank you Dond and Mrs. Sarah for driving up from Kentucky to host this shoot.

Saturday had the most amazing weather for shooting in. It stayed overcast for almost the entire day.  Sunday was definitely hotter, but everyone kept  working forward.

Congratulations go out to all of our new Riflemen, your work and persistence has paid off. To those of you who did not quite make it, keep going, you can make it. Keep practising.

I want to thank everyone, for their patience while I was learning. I made a few mistakes but this shoot was a learning experience. I have learned to keep trying, no matter what.

Mrs. Mandy,
Girl you were right there! At 4 MOA! You are sure to get your patch next time. Keep practising at home. Great job! O0

Mr. Travis,
You worked really hard this weekend, and all of that work has paid off. Thank you for sticking it out, no matter how tough things got. Hope to see you on the Trail again. ^:)^

Gage and Austin,
You guys got so close. Keep on practising and you will get it next time. You both learned and listened well. Hopefully you have learned some new skills. Remember you  never stop learning. O0

Thank you Laura and your family for coming out to visit us. I hope to see you all again. O0

Thank you Dond, Redfox24, George63 and Mutti for being great examples. I really look up to you and I learn from you all.  :bow:

Thank you everyone for a GREAT shoot,
See you on the Trail,

RiflesnReins  ;)

"Come on guys!  Keep your eyes on your magazines. Stop looking at RnR to tell you when to fire. I know you can hear her down there. Trust me I should know, I live in the same house!."  Mutti

"The truly blind are those who will not open their eyes to see"

"How can a man die better, than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his Fathers, and the temple of his Gods."
"Horatius At The Bridge"
Thomas Lord Macaulay

I am not sleeping... I'm just practicing the prone position.

"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."
― Winston Churchill

"The trouble is not in dying for a friend, but in finding a friend worth dying for."
― Mark Twain

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
George S. Patton

KD Cat

Thanks everyone for a great shoot! Thank you Cabela's for the ear plugs, safety glasses and rife cases.
Saturday was a great day for shooting.The sky where cloudy and it was not to hot.
On Sunday two new shooter made Rifeman. Great job!  ^:)^

Thanks George63, Redfox24,Rifes and rains,Mutti, Miss Sara and dond for great instructing and history.

KD Cat. 
When a man loves cats, I am his friend without further introduction.
-Mark Twain

Don't limit yourself. Many people limit themselves to what they think they can do. You can go as far as your mind lets you. What you believe, remember, you can achieve.
-Mary Kay Ash

olefido

Don,

I guess you saw what I meant at marion when I said there was NO shade. :)

Randy
"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Mutti

Shade - smade.   ;D       We don't need no stinkin' shade   O0.

We are Rifleman - We Persist!

(now a porta potty --- that's a different story     lol)

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

RedFox24

Good time had by all!  Thanks Cabela's for the sponsorship!  Great to meet George63 and work with Dond, Sara, Mutti, KD Cat and RiflenReins again. 

"Preparedness is not an event.  It's a continuous process." 
Dr. Julie Gerberding, Director, CDC

Mutti

Gage and Austin - for first time rifle users and frequent shotgunners you did an outstanding job of learning a new skill. Remember squeeze the trigger not the rifle barrel.  You certainly came prepared! Your Boy Scout training was showing  ;D.

Crazy Doug - Well done. Saturday took a bit out of you, but you were early on Sunday and improved constantly. See you on Veterans Day - same time same place?

Travis - first to arrive and last to leave. The phrase "Thank you for your Service" is overused at times, but Sir I truly mean it. Take care of that Patch when you have to travel.

Mandy - I cannot believe how you set down behind that .22 after being a shot gunner for 4 years and defined "Teachable Attitude" to the letter. Sorry you could not come back Sunday due to the family, but I'll be seeing you real soon.

For the first time at a shoot I saw two pairs of Grandfather/Grandson attendees.

Dylan - Remember - dry firing is a great way to "get in the moment". Once you had the sling tension down you really improved.

Tian - Besides having the coolest hat on the line (which I have by the way = PM me and I'll get it to you), you also had the ability to recover really quickly from the dreaded "flier" round that sometimes plagues younger shooters. Great job making the groups tighter.

Laura, Eric and Travis - Amazing how time flies! Of course it could have been George's Kidd or the Garand - but we were honored to have you out. A personal thank you to your family (and Cabela's).

Also - OutaAmmo and PlentyofAmmo - thanks for the visit (OA - nice nice shooting).

The AppleCores were essential and there was no stopping Sarah / KD Cat once they were rolling each morning.

RiflesNReins - Thanks for "The Wedding that Never Was"

I learned quite a lot this shoot and am thankful to Dond/ George63/ RedFox24 for their great mentoring.
---------------------

Whoever said on Sunday "If it was just 10 degrees warmer it would be perfect" - thanks for the laugh.

Hope to see you either at the Veteran's Day Sparta event or down in Marion

mutti
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

EODTech256

So I am finally finding some time to sit down and type out my AAR.  (Sick days are great for it)

First of all thank you to an awesome group of instructors that made the weekend a great experience.  Thank you all for taking the time to pass on not only the skills of a rifleman but also reminding us of how our nation started and the sacrifices that were made by those that came before.

DonD  Sir thank you for taking the time and traveling up for the shoot.  Your passion for Appleseed and the history of our nation is inspiring to say the least.

George63  Thank you for also making the drive to help put this on.  Also thank you for loaning me your gun on Sunday, I have never felt such a great trigger. 

RedFox24  Thanks for the pointers and for being there.  Thanks for telling me about the AQT app but I still haven't found the timer.

Mutti  Thank you and your family for taking care of the whole group.  From reminding all of us to keep drinking water to bringing food for everyone; all of it was much appreciated. 

RiflesNReins  You have the makings of a great instructor.  Your telling of "The Wedding that Never Was", was great. 

KD Cat  Thanks for all your support.  Your constant words of encouragement were great. 

Lastly thanks to Cabela's for sponsoring the shoot. 

Saturday was a great day on the range with the overcast clouds and the lower temps really made it nice to be out there.  I was glad to see lots of kids out there.  It's really encouraging to see them out learning to shoot and about the first days of our country.  I learned more in just the short weekend about the events of April 19, 1775 then I ever did siting in a class room.  Personally I was feeling a bit discouraged after I totally buggered up my sights. :wb:

Sunday while hot was still a great range day.  (Any day is a great range day)  Even though not everyone was about to return we still had a good group out there.  It was really great to get rifleman along with another shooter.  ;D The rest of you keep working at it and you'll get it.  Most of you were right there.  Remember Riflemen persist. 

After finally making it to an Appleseed I have to say I am hooked.  It was the best instruction I have had in marksmanship ever and I have been to quite a bit of firearms training for work.  I am ready to get another shoot in so I can start on the IIT trail. 

Hope to see you all along the trail. 
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." --Thomas Paine, The Crisis, No. 4, 1777

Mutti

Nice to see you found your way EODTech256 ! Nice Avatar as well.
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)