News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

New Smyrna Beach, FL July 7-8

Started by 9mm4545, July 10, 2012, 02:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9mm4545

I can say with complete assurance that there was absolutely no danger of frostbite during the weekend Appleseed at New Smyrna Beach. Saturday started out hot and sweaty and it only got worse. Our 15 hardy students did not let it get them down and the lessons of marksmanship quickly took hold and much improvement was quickly noted. The fundamentals of solid position, six steps, and natural point of aim were introduced first and the groups began shrinking. The intense heat slowed our pace somewhat as both instructors and students battled the elements. Hydrate! was the battle cry. By lunchtime, everyone was ready to sit back and soak up some American history as FLawyer led us through the events in Boston and Lexington on an early April morning of 237 years ago. In the afternoon new positions were introduced and the pace picked up but our students hung in there and gamely soldiered on. With a well deserved break in mid-afternoon, Engineer Shooting resumed where FLawyer left off and recreated the story of Concord and the "shot heard round the world". Before the end of day one and the cumulation of the Three Strikes, we had shot two AQT's and, while there were no new Riflemen, everyone showed vast improvement. We also revealed several rifle and scope problems and lots of loaner rifles were uncased before the day ended.

The grit and determination of this group of Americans was inspiring as the line was full again on Sunday. Following a quick review, we were into sending rounds downrange, honing and perfecting our marksmanship. Once again the brutal heat and humidity beat down students and instructors alike and mandatory hydration breaks were taken often. During a "mad minute" FLawyer's old Orange Hat was giving a proper retirement with a (nearly) 21-gun salute. His new Red Hat looks much better on his head than that old Orange Hat ever did. By the end of the day we had shown big improvements but the elusive 210 score was just not to be, although several were very very close. With a bit of dry firing (in the air conditioned comfort of home) I can see handing out several Rifleman patches at the next event. To all who participated, thanks for coming out; you are my kind of people and I do look forward to seeing you all again.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

unrequited

Thank you shoot boss, and to the rest of the instructors that lead the event and provided constant guidance. I was the tourist from VA with the 10/22 the first day and the bolt-action Savage Mark II the next. I have never participated in any event quite like this, and can't wait to do it again in September in MD with significantly lower temps! I definitely have my sights set on that Inferno patch though and will try to make it down next summer to try and earn one. Thanks again!
-Unrequited

Bigcountry

I just want to say thanks as well do charlie braden and sean to all the instructors  for a great weekend, I still dont know what I like more the shootin or the history, I guess I will keep showing up to find out  Looks like were gettin ready for clermont Aug 11-12 then Myakka 25-26 ,got some new faces to bring this thing is contagious  HUZZAH!