News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Davilla will be my first Appleseed

Started by technoronin, July 09, 2012, 02:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

technoronin

My schedule is finally working out so I can attend an Appleseed.  I just signed up for July in Davilla.  I picked up a 10/22 a couple of years ago and ordered the suggested parts, but I haven't installed them.  Is there anyone in the Austin area who would be willing to give me a hand or at least a bit of supervision on installing them?

Scarecrow

Expect a reply from someone local soon.
If you bought Techsites, driving the front sight out of the dovetail slot may be a chore depending on your individual rifle. If you cannot drive it out with a wood dowel or brass punch you may have to cut it out with a cut off wheel and dremel tool like I did.
Heating the barrel may help loosen it also.
You may get by with leaving the rear factory sight in place and folding it down.
You can send a PM (personal message) to me if you like & I will try to help more.

Quote from: technoronin on July 09, 2012, 02:52:17 PM
My schedule is finally working out so I can attend an Appleseed.  I just signed up for July in Davilla.  I picked up a 10/22 a couple of years ago and ordered the suggested parts, but I haven't installed them.  Is there anyone in the Austin area who would be willing to give me a hand or at least a bit of supervision on installing them?

Green Bean

Youtube has great instructional videos. What all are you installing?

StarsfanJ

I ran across a posting on another forum for the 10/22 front sight when I was having trouble. By trouble I mean steel punch and 5 lb. hammer without movement trouble.

Anyway, the suggestion I saw was to soak a cotton ball in nail polish remover and let it sit for 5-10 minutes on one side of the front sight with the rifle laying on its side. Basically trying to get the nail polish remover to soak down into the slot. After that mine nearly fell out, apparently the newer 10/22's have some sort of adhesive in there that keep simple mechanical force from working.

I had some concerns about the remover reacting badly with the barrel finish (stock blued), but my long term plan was to replace it anyway. After wiping everything down I could not see any issues with the barrel finish so for me at least it was safe. In fact, the stock barrel and Tech Sights shot so nice that I've pretty much abandoned the new barrel idea.

Green Bean

Good idea. I had to cut a notch in my front sight with a dremel and then hit it with a hammer to get that front sight out.  Installation of the tech sights are very easy.

Technoronin: Pm me if you don't get a reply before Friday.  I will be passing through Austin friday on my way to Dallas for the IBC. My window of time will be short but maybe it is something I can do from the back of my van if possible. 

Also post up what you need to install.  I have done several modifications to my 10/22, everything from trigger job, oversized charging handle, extended mag release, bolt release, sling swivels, tech sights, etc..  Do you have basic tools, drill and dremel if needed?

Quote from: StarsfanJ on July 10, 2012, 02:26:25 PM
I ran across a posting on another forum for the 10/22 front sight when I was having trouble. By trouble I mean steel punch and 5 lb. hammer without movement trouble.

Anyway, the suggestion I saw was to soak a cotton ball in nail polish remover and let it sit for 5-10 minutes on one side of the front sight with the rifle laying on its side. Basically trying to get the nail polish remover to soak down into the slot. After that mine nearly fell out, apparently the newer 10/22's have some sort of adhesive in there that keep simple mechanical force from working.

I had some concerns about the remover reacting badly with the barrel finish (stock blued), but my long term plan was to replace it anyway. After wiping everything down I could not see any issues with the barrel finish so for me at least it was safe. In fact, the stock barrel and Tech Sights shot so nice that I've pretty much abandoned the new barrel idea.

scuzzy

Looking forward to seeing you at Davilla. I'll be there as one of the instructors. We'll be more than happy to help with any setup you still need with your rifle.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

technoronin

I dug out the box with the parts.  There is a bolt release, extractor, buffer, TS 200 sights & bases for a sling.  Looking at the instructions for the bolt release, they start well past what I know about this rifle.  I bought this rifle brand new a couple of years ago and it hasn't been fired yet.

Since the class is next weekend, I sure would like to get these parts installed before Saturday morning.

Two Wolves

Well, I'm not sure how much help this is gonna be for you, buuuuut--- if you can bring your stuff to me IN FREDERICKSBURG, I'll work on it. Of course you would have to come pick it back up also.  It could take three or four hours to assemble every thing that you've got. You would have to leave it and come back in a day or so.

I have never changed the extractor or changed the buffer on my 10/22's. I don't know what advantage you would gain from those. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Now the bolt release is a good addition. Do you have a wood stock or synthetic? Doesn't matter, I've put sling mounts on both.

That's the best I can offer you. ~ Two Wolves
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

Two Wolves

I do have one more suggestion for you.  Call GT Distributors there in Austin and ask them for a name of someone local that can help you out. This will probably get you fixed up.  Still thinking ~ Two Wolves
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

technoronin

Since I have to work all week, I'm not going to have time to make a couple of trips to Fredericksburg.  Thanks for the offer, it would have been a good excuse to visit the Nimitz Museum.

Two Wolves

Call GT Distributors tommorrow and ask for a source. I bet they can help. Good luck in Davilla. Tell the crew hello for me. Two Wolves

Green Bean

If you can try and get the sights on and your sling.  Even if you can't don't let that keep you from going.  Scuzzy posted he will help you out once you get there.  You should try and get there early. Things move fast and there is a lot of information being put out. 

Good luck

scuzzy

We can at least get the sights and sling setup. Most important things though is that you come out and learn and get some trigger time. While some of the aftermarket stuff is nice what is nicer is the skills you'll learn. See ya there.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.