News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

P.A.R. Pre-action report. Niles, MI July 7-8. Fishseed!

Started by Swamp Thing, July 06, 2012, 09:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing, Pitmaster, Grindstone, Steel Thunder and a salty sea captain baking under the 100 plus degree unfiltered sun. Fishing for salmon on Lake Michigan. And loving it!

This is just a starter post as Grinder and Steel were taking pics all day on the boat while I only have a few of the end results of the trip. Can't spoil the ending now can I?

Did we limit out? Did we get skunked? Who fell overboard?

:pics:

More to come...

Also, it is hereby decreed that all Michigan Appleseeds shall begin with a fishing or hunting trip.

ST

SteelThunder

Sorry it's taken so long to post pics.  Agreed...all shoots should start with a hunting, fishing, golf, baseball game outing prior.

All in all a great day...hot as snot, Bruce brings LOTS of food and makes a mean pastrami, I learned quite a few swear words from the captain I didn't know prior to this and I have a freezer drawer full of salmon fillets.

Here's some pics --

THE GANG OF HOOKEY PLAYERS

RACING OUT OF THE HARBOR IN FRONT OF THE OTHER FISHING BOATS

FISHING WITH THE SUNRISE...

SWAMPY TELLING THE STORY "i HAD A GUY OFFER ME A PILE OF MONEY THIS BIG IF I'D STOP WEARING THIS SHIRT, BUT I SAID 'HECK NO' "

BRUCE ON ONE...

SWAMPY THIS TIME...

IN THE TANK!

CHILLIN'

THE HAUL

NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

BeeFree

Admit it, you stopped at the grocery store on the way home, didn't you?

LOL!  Looks like you had a blast!

I, on the other hand, was at home, painting the house, Friday.

Bee
Make Orwell Fiction Again!

Pitmaster

We did have a blast, all three days even with the heat. Although poor Swamp Thing was shipped out of state with his catch. I wonder if he ate sushi all the way to Noblesville. ;D While the captain is a little salty he knows what he is doing. We came in early and started about 30 minutes later than the captain suggested. If we would left at 5:00 and came in at 2:00 or not lost 9 fish reeling them in we would have caught the limit.

There was an Appleseed challenge on the way out of the pier. A big Huzzah to who ever can guess the challenge and/or who won. Double Huzzah if you get both. :pop: Fisherman excluded.

Bee,

You can't buy fish this fresh in a store. From line to gut was 24 hours. :)
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

Swamp Thing

So the pics of the "haul" are aleady up. That's all I had.

But nobody mentioned that the only one who pulled in their limit was me. Nor did anybody mention that I caught the biggest one. Somebody should mention that.

Also, I had a thought...the founding fathers also fished. I believe they called it angling.

Steel Thunder, get on this and work up a program...Angleseed! We take people out on a charter boat, teach them the lost art of fishing and talk about history.

Here's your tagline to run with....

Teach a man to fish and he eats for life, teach a man about liberty......

We may have something here.

ST

mac66

So I hear there might be another Niles shoot in Oct?  Any chance of another fishing trip then?
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

SteelThunder

NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

Pitmaster

I will call the captain and reserve a charter for October 19. The best fishing will be at the dam on the St. Joseph river in Berrien Springs. The cost on the river is $300 for up to 4 people. Here is the website www.headhuntersportfishing.com I went out the day after Christmas last year and by 10:00 am I was on my way home with my limit, fish cleaned, and packed.

Pretty much any Niles and/or Watervliet Appleseed can have a fishing charter. Great fishing on Lake Michigan or the St. Joseph river is about 30 minutes away.

PM me if interested. I can get another charter too. But I need advance notice with confirmation. Most captains have cancellation fees especially close to the date.

Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member