News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Gaston, SC - June 30-July 1, 2012 AAR

Started by TheIronMantis, July 02, 2012, 04:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheIronMantis

Woooo, it was a scorcher out there.  Sunday was the coolest of the two days.  Sunday at 14:00 the temperature was 105 degrees with a heat index of 119.  However, it did not stop the 13 shooters that came to the Mid Carolina Rifle Club, aka Tattoine, to learn about fundamentals of rifle marksmanship and the history of the events of April 19, 1775.

After the welcome and safety briefings the rifles were brought to the line.  The Hits Count! target was dispatched and didn't look too bad.  However, I think we all agreed there were some improvements to be made.  Immediately we posted up some squares and got to work.  Concepts including, steady hold factors, sling use, six steps of firing the shot, talking targets, IMC, rifleman's and riflemen's bubble.  We also learned that in SC we do not shift our NPOA, we skootch it!  Nowhere else can you learn this technique, but the great state of Skootch Carolina.  Others may try, but this is where it is DONE! 

Despite the heat, shooters improved their techniques and the groups were steadily shrinking and shifting onto the squares.  Lunch brought some much needed A/C.  At lunch we heard the first and second strikes.  Shooters were engaged and enjoyed the history presentation as much as they loved the 70 degree temperature in the classroom.

With frequent breaks throughout the afternoon, the steady hold factors in the seated/kneeling and standing positions were introduced.  Unfortunately, the heat was starting to be too much.  To ensure everyone's safety we had to pull the plug on the shooting before we were able to shoot an AQT.  However, shooters did have the oppurtunity to have a go stage 1 and stage 4 of the AQT.

Once again, under the comfort of the A/C in the classroom.  We heard the presentation of the 3rd strike, the 7th step and a benediction on what our responsibilities are as a Rifleman.

On Sunday, 8 shooters returned.  Since we knew the heat was going to be bad we shot a quick sighter and rolled into stage 1 and stage 4 of an AQT.  Afterward we retreated to the A/C to have a quick review of all the material, and a demonstration of how the 2nd and 3rd stages of the AQT were to be fired.  This allowed everyone to cool off and and really concentrate on the "tough" parts of the AQT. 

Afterwards, it was back to the line to finish up that AQT and to post another one.  After intermingling AQTs with some Dangerous Old Men history, long distance shooting theory, and other blocks of instruction, we learned that we had a man among us who knew very much what he is about.  Chris S was able to overcome the extreme conditions, pull everything he had been taught together and shoot his way to a 212 on the AQT.  With this being his 2nd Appleseed, Chris decided to step up and take an orange hat.  Chris who had taught us how to do the seated positions earlier that morning during the review, and did so as good as any instructor, is well on his way to further the mission.  Chris's wife Heather who was not able to return on Sunday due to having to take care of some critters at the house during the heat was not able to return.  However, she has already shot a Riflemen score.  So guess who else is taking their orange hat with them?  That's right.  Everyone better watch out for this dynamic instructing duo.  They may not be in Skootch Carolina for much longer, but they are going to set that Appleseed Trail on fire.  So congrats to both of you!

All shooter's ate up the instruction and improved immensely throughout the weekend.  I heard several observations, some of them colorful, of how hot it was.  However, I heard nary a complaint.  Kudos to all shooters this weekend for being great students.  Please continue to practice.  I know a lot of you will be back in October.  If you can't wait that long, I strongly encourage you to go to one of the other nearby non-skootching locations to continue to improve your skills.

--Tyler

dreamerofdreams

Thanks to all the instructors who braved the heat!  I'm looking forward to being in the instructor ranks for the next shoot!

I also wanted to give a shout out to the kids on the shooting line - they were real troopers!!
"On one man's soul it hath broken,
A light that doth not depart;
And his look, or a word he hath spoken,
Wrought flame in another man's heart."

DrJohn

What an honor to be with such a gallant group of students and Patriots! Even though we made the national news in terms of the temperatures, I never heard a word of grumbling or complaint, just a focused dedication to learn. I echo what someone else said, that our young students were an especial inspiration. I eagerly anticipate returning to South Carolina, and in the meantime encourage all to dry fire, dry fire, dry fire! That, and engage in the Seventh Step, really the most important one, of teaching what you have learned to all you know, and to bring as many as you can to future Appleseed events. Huzza to all!
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....