News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Bridgeville, DE 6/30-7/1

Started by BeSwift, July 01, 2012, 09:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeSwift

Wow... What a shoot... With temps expected (and accurately so!) to be over 100 deg with high humidity for the weekend, I wasn't overly optimistic regarding the likelyhood of no shows..  Now add in the fact that Fri PM, a massive freak storm did major damage and knocked out the power to some 3 million mid Atlantic customers.. As it turned out..Boy was I worried about nothing! These were some SERIOUSLY motivated students.

Saturday saw all 17 out of 17 registered students on the line, many from neighboring states. Last minute scrambling was needed as storm wiped out the firing line we'd constructed the night before.. The students progressed nicely and kept up with the pace despite frequent water and shade breaks.. History was delivered in outstanding fashion by CarlB, and no significant safety issue arose. By days end, 1 AQT was completed, 2 new Rifleman were added to the cadre (one shot a 222, STANDING for all stages), and 2 Rifleman requalified.

After Saturdays heat bonanza, I was curious to see how many folks would make it back.. Lo and behold, Sun AM, saw 16 returning shooters, many of whom camped out in the heat overnight. Review was held and student showed improvement as the day progressed. Several are on that 200 cusp, and I'm confident they will return.  With temps again in triple digits, threatening clouds on the horizon, and students flat out of steam, we closed the shoot at 3PM. 2 additional shooters requalified Sunday, in addition to our Sat Rifleman, breezing thru Sundays AQT's.

Thanks to ALL students AND instructors for bearing the heat, and making this one of the most satisfying shoots I've had the pleasure to work. Now, it's time to continue the efforts at rehydration.   BeSwift
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

urpwnd

Thanks so much for all the great instruction!

Actually, as far as new riflemen go for the first day, I think it was 2? The guy that shot standing and myself (this was my first appleseed too).

Thanks for teaching myself and my lady friends how to become better shooters. They both want their own rifles now as well, and have already asked to go back out to the range to practice. Learned a lot of stuff I had never heard before.

Thanks also for the history lessons. We learned a lot of stuff that I'd never even heard about before with regards to the Revolutionary War.

If you need any help for any of the Maryland events, please let me know as well.

All in all, an awesome event, despite the ridiculous heat. What are the requirements for an event to be an "Infernoseed"?

BeSwift

Quote from: urpwnd on July 03, 2012, 01:07:06 PM
Thanks so much for all the great instruction!

Actually, as far as new riflemen go for the first day, I think it was 2? The guy that shot standing and myself (this was my first appleseed too).

Thanks for teaching myself and my lady friends how to become better shooters. They both want their own rifles now as well, and have already asked to go back out to the range to practice. Learned a lot of stuff I had never heard before.

Thanks also for the history lessons. We learned a lot of stuff that I'd never even heard about before with regards to the Revolutionary War.

If you need any help for any of the Maryland events, please let me know as well.

All in all, an awesome event, despite the ridiculous heat. What are the requirements for an event to be an "Infernoseed"?

About helping:  There are two items that I'd ask for your assistance:

1) Help us get Appleseed going at other MD ranges. Tell em you want us at YOUR club. If you know any private landowners with 25 meters and a natural backstop, that would work too!

2)  Come on back and bring others with you.. as many as you can. We've got a country to save... and we've got to get our message out.

Congrats on your Rifleman designation.. You EARNED it, especially given the adverse conditions. Now continue on with the 7th step, and help bail the sinking ship. Every little bit helps!      BeSwift   
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations