News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Knob Creek, KY 6/30-07/01

Started by Ratchett, June 30, 2012, 10:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ratchett

Triple digit heat, 30 lbs of ice and at minimum 10 gallons of water/ gatorade and the first day of Knob Creek is in the books.

12 brave American Patriots came out today to burn some gun powder and hear about their American heritage. The line was a fairly even mix of 1st timers and repeat seeders. Instruction went well even through the oppressive heat, good groups were attained early and we progressed to the first AQT by 2:30PM. Then, the shade on the firing line disappeared and the shooters began to wilt. All were wiped and a general consensus to finish the history/benediction and call it a day. The upside is that all shooters returning on Sunday and agreed to start at 8AM to utilize the coolness of the morning hours.

Stay tuned for more... same bat time, same bat channel!  ;)
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

Edheler

Looking for a glorious report on Unbridled Liberty's first SBIT! :) Huzzah!

Ratchett

He is awesome!!! Kentucky is in great hands all the way around O0
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

yellowhousejake

Those Coasties are pretty sharp folks. Don't let his calm quiet demeanor fool you, UL is all business.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

Mudcat

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Ratchett

Unbridled Liberty

Another great shoot at Knob Creek!  Thanks to 13 great Americans for braving the heat and coming out to learn about your heritage and about rifle marksmanship.  Thank you Ratchett for coming down to run this one. :bow:  And thanks to brdholman, Andre, WAS and Mudcat for helping. 

Rik ("Boats") shot a 212 and then backed it up with a 222.  Bill got close to 200 on Saturday but had obligations on Sunday and could not return.  I believe that Jeff also came close.  Jill maybe has taken up a new hobby of ringing steel. ;).  Jon, David, Ryan, Mark, Emily and Mike: you have begun the journey, don't stop!

We had several requals: Aubrey with a 222, Shane with a 212(?) and of course Mudcat O0

Sorry, once again I neglected the camera so I have no shooting pictures and I just realized I forgot a group picture.  One of these shoots I will learn to multi-task. 

Hope to see some of you again in September.
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Mudcat

It was so nice to see so many old friends I was surprised to see Aubry,Shane and Jill out on the line again. Well not surprised but thrilled would be a better word. I had a good time shooting with you guys and gal. The new faces you will be old friends next time for sure. I saw a lot of progress, Be sure to dry practice by the numbers and by doing everything correctly. Perfect practice makes perfect.

I love shoots at Knob Creek!
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

WarriorWon

Just wanted to chime in and say thanks for a great event.(My second)

Rachett, Thanks for making the trip south to be our Shoot Boss and I enjoyed your portion of the three strike of the match. Hope you found things in order upon your arrival home from the weather events. Your dedication to see this event to fruition despite the distraction was commendable and noted.

Unbridled Liberty  As I look back now it was an honor to have you as our SBIT and to receive my Rifleman patch from a fellow Veteran from the U.S. Coast Guard. Can't recall if that was your first patch handed out as SBIT but if it was it will make it just that much more memorable. In our vernacular you ran a tight ship and I really felt at ease with you at the helm. Looking forward to future events as I see already you will do fine as Captain.

Brad, thank you for your command of the line and the instruction provided. Was that just a ploy to make us listen harder during instruction, that temperate voice I mean? Sure seemed to disappear when you had command of the line. ;-) If it was your intent it worked for me, received every word loud and clear.

Orange Hats, Andre.......(Sorry guys memory not what it used to be) Thanks for the help keeping us safe and the instruction provided. Your instruction was well noted and I will add your coaching to my list of needed improvements to become a better marksman.

Mudcat, your instruction at Jill's first event made such an impression on her that it was clearly noticeable her confidence with her firearm.  The event she attended with you last year has motivated her to becoming the marks-woman we saw this weekend. Her patch is just a few events away and I hope you are there. Don't know if you got to see Jill "Ring Steel" but it was impressive. (5 for 5 at 80 meters on the 12 inch with steel sites.) Was great to finally meet you and I am looking forward to seeing you at future events.

All in all a great weekend, hope to see everyone again at some point.

I truly appreciate the work that goes into making these events possible for us to enjoy!

brdholman

WarriorWon, it was nice to meet you and Jill and I hope to see you again sometime. Jill is well on her way. Thanks for helping with passing out flyers and bringing others out with you.
Brad

Unbridled Liberty

WarriorWon,

I do appreciate the kind comments.  Indeed your Rifleman patch was the first one I have ever handed out.  A coincidence that my first one went to a fellow Coastie?  I think not!  Congratulations, you earned it.  Jill is next!

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Mudcat

WO it was great to meet you, you did very well indeed. I look forward to seeing you out again. Jill has improved a lot since the last time I seen her on the line. Tell her to not wait so long between shoots.  ;)
--George Washington

Oak

Hi all!

Great to meet everyone last weekend.  I had a great time, and learned a lot!   Wish we could have put the firing line down the center of the shelter in the shade, instead of the edge, it's hard to shoot when the rifle is too hot to touch! :)  I also lost 3 pounds, but that came back once I re-hydrated.

I'm going to try to make one of the other Ohio shoots this summer, just not sure which one yet.

--Mike

Freiheit

Went OK. I couldn't do better than 170's. I am capable of shooting Rifleman, but not after a day in the heat and getting sloppy. I was really really pissed off about my Tech Sight failing.

Key points:
- Appleseed requires a GI sling, this is NOT the same as "a sling". A GI sling is $10-15 and is key to the style of shooting taught
- Appleseed is half shooting, half activism. Their goals of sharing very early Revolutionary War history and getting people involved in their communities is a good one.
- The goal to get involved is great, but I'm already involved. Felt like the choir was being preached to, but that may have been the heat making me a bit touchy. Ask people how they are already involved, then make the sale to the rest of the class to get involved or to get more involved.
- Tech Sights are good, but I do not think they are the best. There is room to improve. 5/8 MOA adjustment is bullSh*t, do 1/4, 1/2 or full MOA. I rounded mine down to 1/2 and it was close enough. Adjusting the sights, even with the tool, is a pain in the ass; one click at a time when you need 14 clicks is irritating. I still haven't figured out how the clamp failed on mine
- Tech Sights warranty kicks ass! I got an SASE and a replacement 2 days after emailing them.
- The Marlin 795 is not ideal, the magazines do not drop free and the magazine sticking out limits your options to hold the rifle. I like my 795, but the 10/22 allows for better shooting positions. Even with that godawful mag release and no last-shot hold open and being heavy, the 10/22 is a better option than the Marlin. I intend to modify my 795 to get the mags to drop free.
- A bit of foam and vet wrap. Get some. Adjust your rifles to fit for pennies. No permanent alterations, no marring, and you can whip it on and off in an instant. Love that stuff.
- Appleseed meets and exceeds its own goals and is a great way to spend a weekend and an epic value for your training dollar

Doing my best to get other KY folks out there and involved. I don't think I can make the KD shoot on the 14th as I have a pistol match that day.

Freiheit

Also did I mention that we did this in 100+ degree heat?

Doesn't seem like much until about 2pm and you hit a wall no matter how well hydrated you are. :P  :DH:

Mudcat

Some good points Freiheit. The tech sights are not the best but I know of no other similar sights that are available for such a wide variety of rifles especially for such a low price. I like the TRS100 myself they are much easier to adjust especially for multiple clicks. They do have great customer service though as you noted.
As far as rifles go 795, 10-22, Plinkster or model 60 it really doesn't matter. The skills will work on any rifle once they are mastered. But that said yes I do have my preferences too. lol

Sorry we will miss you ar the KD shoot. I will be looking for you back on the line soon though.
--George Washington