News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Manchester, TN June 30 & July 1

Started by TN_Dadx5, June 29, 2012, 11:49:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TN_Dadx5

We all knew it was going to be a scorcher, and we weren't wrong.  I wouldn't have criticized anyone if they thought better and didn't attend, but we had ZERO no-shows.  Talk about some determined people.  My hat is off to everyone that showed up.  Did I say that it was HOT?!?  Saturday had a high of 108° with a heat index of 112°.  Sunday had a high of 103­°, I'm not sure what the heat index was but the humidity was higher Sunday.

You'd think that if people did come out that they'd kind of take it easy.  You might be right with most people, but not with 'seeders.  These intrepid folks got up, got down, twisted themselves up like pretzels and did their best to put into practice what they were learning.  Our first Redcoat was not at all convincing.  We had 4 of 15 shooting to 100 yds and 2 others shooting 200 yds; just slightly better than Texas  ;D.  All day long we watched as dinner plate sized groups shrank down to the size of fifty-cent pieces.  And by Saturday evening we had 1 shooting 400 yds, 4 @ 300, 2 @ 200 and 2 @100 with one person cleaning the target. 

We had a father and daughter, two sets of fathers with their sons, a mother and her young son; lots of family.  I just love watching families work together!

Did I say it was hot?!?  The Instructor crew had decided to institute mandatory drink breaks, and those breaks gave us a little more time to get to know these great people.  Even with this miserable heat we had 3 people shoot Rifleman scores, all multiple times.  One of our Riflemen shot 2 Rifleman scores and then shot another AQT but went over to the 100 yd range leaving the AQT on the target backer.  I noticed it while looking at another student's target, took it back and scored it. 231!  We had several others shoot between 189 and 208.  I'm sure that there'll be more Riflemen out of this group in the near future!

I also want to brag on the Instructor crew.  This was my first solo event as Shoot Boss and even though the most senior Instructor was an IIT3, you wouldn't have known it.  Thanks you all!

And thanks to Treyton's mom, Tracey, who provided some of the great photos here!

And now on to the pictures!

Eli

Josiah

Ellie

Instruction Begins

Father & sons time

Teach the youth

Talking targets

What's this one saying to her?

Pink Rifle, Green Hat

What's a girl to do with her ammo?

Rifleman David takes an Orange Hat!

Rifleman Philip!

Rifleman Tony!

Our new IIT Scott!

Treyton takes the Luther Blanchard Persistence Award!

If you have any pictures, please post them!
"A nation of well informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins." Benjamin Franklin
Visit and "Like" the TN Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/#!/Tennesse.Project.Appleseed

RunnFree

Just to let everyone know, it was HOT.    Not one person gave up, kept on going and drinking water.  Very eager people.  All the families that were there was fantastic.  Congrads on Charlie on his first solo green hat job.  Keep up the good work.

ScottM

I want to second what a great job Charlie did and how well all of the shooters did in the crazy heat.  It was my first as an instructor but if you include the ones I where I was a shooter I have never been to an Appleseed that was not in the 90s or above.  And in every one the instructors and students never let their enthusiasm wane despite the heat.

Congratulations to all the new riflemen and to David for accepting the orange hat.

Load5

Congratulations to Charlie and the instructor crew on a well run event.  Very safe.  The instructors were very responsive to every question and request and were genuinely interested in helping each participant.
Now that I've had a chance to step back and consider the training I am anxious to attend again and try to better apply the techniques that were taught.  It was too much to get it all down in one weekend.
Oh yeah, who was the author of that book about Paul Revere's ride?
Turn the heat down next time!

dart67eb

Charlie,
That green hat looks good on you!
Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

RunnFree

Green hat looks good with the pink rifle.