News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Temporarily sidelined...

Started by Cooper, June 28, 2012, 12:31:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooper

After having a few years of greater than usually intense pain into my hips and legs, I began to experience eye-watering jolts into my hips and legs this spring.  They were distracting enough that I broke down and decided to turn myself in to the medicos earlier this month. 
Turns out that I don't have a herniated disk, I have ONE lumbar disk that is NOT herniated and four that are shot to Hell. So, I guess I'm not just a whining back patient, I'm a beyond help, why didn't you come in earlier back patient. Sweet.

Any states in the Midwest have use for a cripple?

Cooper
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

dart67eb

Go in and get fixed.  I had a metrix procedure diskectomy done 10yrs ago.  By VA, no less.  Works good, lasts a long time.
Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

ItsanSKS

Cooper-

As a sufferer of chronic back pain myself, I feel your pain.  If/when the doctors say they've done all they can, see a good chiropractor-  mine has done wonders for my back, and as long as I maintain my daily stretching regimen, all is good.

In the meantime please take care, and know that prayers are on their way for your health and wellbeing.

-ItsanSKS
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

Two Wolves

Wishing you a speedy recovery ~ Two Wolves
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

Johnnyappleseed

Even with your severe pain , we can tell your sharp humor and quick wit has not been affected ,.
Wishing you a speedy a complete recovery Janelle,you will be in our prayers .
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Xeyed

Get well soon.

In the meanwhile you are welcome to pull up a chair and instruct on any line I'm working.

Xeyed

One Man awake, Awakens another. The second awakens  His next-door brother.
The three awake can rouse a town. By turning the whole place upside down.

The many awake can make such a fuss. It finally awakens the rest of us.
One man up, with dawn in his eyes, Surely then, Multiplies. Lawrence Trib

Ratchett

Aw Coop sorry to hear!! A speedy recovery and patience during---ya can't keep a good woman down!

If ya get bored, come on out to Colebrook CT for ladyseed, will have a comfy chair with your name on it! (Which you would be required to use!!!!  ;) )

IHG,
ratchett
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

George Hacker

Coop, I hope you get well soon. :'(

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

warhog

Fortes fortuna adiuvat

Taylor

Take care of yourself and get better Coop. When you're recovered enough for limited duty come on over and do as many of our NW WI ASs from a chair with Jackie in your lap as you care to.
Honoring the memory of Adonijah Taylor (1730-1810) my Grandfather seven generations back, Deerfield MA Militiaman and Patriot, who answered the alarm on April 19, 1775 and along with his six sons served in the War of the Revolution.

"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think." - Adolf Hitler

"All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party." - Mao Tse Tung

"Those bold enough to believe that they can change the world, are usually those which do."
-Albert Einstein

"Let Freedom never perish in your hands."
-Joseph Addison

colonial shooter

I would say "don't blame it on me"..... But you are welcome out here anytime. ;) Hope your recovery is swift. Until then we will miss you. Hi-oopi and I will keep you in our prayers.
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

dronning

Speaking as one who has had back surgery (1981) I know your pain and can tell you the doctors can work wonders.  Pain free for 31 years.

Good luck and my prayers are with you.

Dave

colycat

I do not think we will need a wheel chair for the coop anytime soon.  But I will have a gander mnt chair for her at the next shoot that we meet.
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Kosciusko

sorry to hear about that.

had back pain only a few times,  not fun.

Do what you need to do and get healed up.

sent you a PM on the rockers, w/ or w/o velcro?

k

AFTERMATH

That "Why didn't you come in earlier?" thing reminds me of a guy I know...
A couple years back, he finally went in when he could no longer use his right arm.  Turns out several vertebrae in his neck were pretty much gone, they ended up having to fuse it.  Anyway, the cause of his condition, over thirty years earlier he had actually broken his neck and never went in for it. 
I don't really feel like getting into how it happened.  But to give you a hint, there is such thing as too much alcohol and not enough water the swimming pool...

Anyway, rest easy and heal up quickly!  Some PVC and a little duct tape and you'll be back on the line in no time.   ;)  And if they've gotta do any welding; see if they can weld you up in the perfect prone position.

Seriously though, Cooper take it easy on yourself. 

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

sgtrock

Hang in there Cooper,,, Wishing you a speedy recovery,,,

Charles McKinley

Heal up right.  Research the Dr. you let work on you then research them again.  Good back surgeons are few and far between.  They are out there  though.  My mom's went to teach.  Talk with their past patients is at all possible.

You will be in our prayers.  My girls get a kick out of your avatar.

Seventh step your care givers. >:D 

Stand
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Patriot Gal

Sorry to hear of your injury and the necessity to turn yourself in "to the medicos".  I understand perfectly.

I'm sure you will research, request referrals and make the best choice decision for yourself and your back.

My prayers for full, functioning recovery are with you.
Patriot Gal
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan

Puma Mami

What an awful thing, Cooper! I will pray for your healing and that you connect with the best medical folks to help you out. Hang in there!
"Saving America...lots of things are easier to accomplish, few are more worthwhile." ~Fred

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."  ~Albert Camus

Miller

Geez.....
I need to be more diligent about hitting the out of state boards....

Heal up fast Coop.

Some f ous impressionable IITs still have vices to learn. ;)
Fearful but resolute.

Cooper

Updates:

Four out of my five lumbar disks are herniated.
I had an epidural steroid injection at the left L5 level and have had a gradual, but clear improvement in the shooting pains down my leg.  Unfortunately, I still have frequent aches into my shins and constant lumbar aching pain.

Special thanks to Dr John Temple for taking hospital call for me this last Sunday so that I could teach at a "rifle marksmanship for adults with disabilities" clinic this last weekend at the La Crosse Rifle Club.
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

dragonfly

I was just thinking, I haven't heard anything from Cooper for awhile, and than I found this, WOW. I hope all is well, and you are back on the trail soon  :) .

D-fly  with thoughts and prayer's
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

R1SGx2

Cooper,
Not normal to be up at 1am, wishing you a speedy recovery,
our nation needs you.

With all going on you still:
QuoteSpecial thanks to Dr John Temple for taking hospital call for me this last Sunday so that I could teach at a "rifle marksmanship for adults with disabilities" clinic this last weekend at the La Crosse Rifle Club.
Thank you for all you do.
Thoughts and prayers are with you.
Mark
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

scuzzy

Thanks for the update. I've already enjoyed reading your posts. They are always written in a no holds barred style which I truly like. And many times infused with a wicked sense of humor.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

GoldFish

Sorry I'm a little late to this, but our internet has been knocked out because of a big strom last week. 

Coop, you'll be missed on the Trail while you're healing up.  Back problems are not any fun...at all.  I hope you teach them Keyboard Commandos a thing a two. O0 

Get well soon...and come to Ohio sometime when you are all better. :cool2:

"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

loves2hunt59

Cooper,
I have to agree with Miller this once, need to be more diligent about keeping up on the neighborhood. (DO NOT tell him I agreed). 
So sorry to hear about your condition.  Get well soon. Your always welcome in Iowa (thou nefarious interloper).  We'll be missing you till you return.
                                                                            Godspeed
                                                                             yours, Vic
PS don't tell Miller this either but I'm sending in his promotion to Instructor (as soon as I find the blasted link  #) )