News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Laredo Rifle and Pistol Club 4th of July Shooting Celebration.

Started by Green Bean, June 26, 2012, 02:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green Bean

I just saw online that my local Rifle club is having a .22 shooting event on the 4th of July.  The rules will be standing at 25 yards unsupported "Lucky Target". We also have a know distance range out to 500 yards for who ever comes down.  I will pay the registration fee for anyone interested.  I am not sure what the local turnout will be, but I know it would be a good opportunity to seed. 

Sorry for the short notice.  I was just hoping someone might live close to or in the area. If nothing else me and a buddy (still a cook) will be there in our AS t-shirts shooting at the event.

I earned my rifleman's patch this past weekend at my second AS in Davilla.  Thanks to Tommy, Rodger and the crew for beating the 6 steps in my head during my first AS in Fredericksburg. 

Green Bean

I just got a reply from the event coordinator and he stated the event is for members only to shoot. 

The range is still open for me to bring guess.  They just can't shoot the "lucky target" shoot.  Invite is still open if someone want to come shoot the KD range or to eat some good Laredo tacos. 

I tried to look up "lucky target" online and could not find a clear description.  If someone knows, please reply with a good description of it.

Two Wolves

Green Bean, there are a fair number of past Appleseed shooters located around Corpus and Pharr Texas. The local shoot boss in Pharr is BDG. You might try to look him up and send him a pm of your event in Laredo. You never know what you might shake loose. Eat a taco for me. Happy 4Th, Two Wolves.
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

Two Wolves

CONGRATULATIONS RIFLEMAN!!

^:)^    GREEN BEAN    ^:)^
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

dragit

Congrats Green Bean. Hope you had a good time with Michael Larry n Andrew, they are good people. Had a church camp with my daughter in OK., else would have been there. See you down the trail.

Tommy
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.  Goethe

Sarah Belding: Be careful. You're a man who makes people afraid, and that's dangerous.
The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

His genius was to promote collective action in the cause of freedom... Fischer

Green Bean

I just got home from the event down here on the edge of the empire.  There were about 30 shooters grouped in sets of 6 shooting 25 yards unsupported standing. I was actually the only person using a sling. A few families on the line to include 6 woman and about 5 kids.  I spoke to a few people about AS and they were all very positive about it.  I think I see a hat in my future.

The event was bullseye and "lucky target".  I shot consistently 49 out of 50 on the bullseye portion. I shot iron sights, scoped and pistol. But the "lucky target" was not lucky for me. Imagine a 1" square cut into 4 with 1,3,5,9 in each 1/4" block.  If you got lucky and hit the center touching all four corners you got 18 points.  The squares repeat covering the entire paper.  Basically you could throw a dart and had a good chance to score.  I did get luck on the pistol and won a gift card to academy.  I also got a Laredo Rifle and Pistol Club tshirt.  After all my practice with my rifle I won using the pistol.  :wb:

Laredo also has a month long George Washington's Birthday Celebration in February with events all month.  The weather is almost perfect.  What better time to do an Appleseed in Laredo? Wiki shows "It is the largest celebration of its kind in the United States with approximately 400,000 attendees annually."

Two Wolves

Wow! That lucky target thing sounds hard. Glad you had some success anyway. Thanks for all your doing down there. How was the TACOS! ~ Two Wolves

Green Bean

No tacos on the 4th.  But I did bump into one of the board of directors (BoD) from the Laredo Rifle and Pistol Club today today at a taco place.

I spoke with the BoD about what would be needed to host an AS.  He told me to send him a proposal and he would get with me on what it would cost for a two day event.  He was more interested in numbers than the history of the program.

Several local families are very interested in it and it would not be difficult to fill the lines down here.  Laredo has a law enforcement community of approx 3000 officers and their families.  Laredo also has a big hunting culture and most kids learn to shoot at a young age.   I sent a pm to "BDG" asking for guidance in setting something up.  I am guessing the Pharr Rifle and Pistol Club is a similar set to the Laredo club.

Rene and I learned a lot at our first AS event and want to pass on what we learned to others down here on the edge of the empire.  I was telling a coworker with three young shooters at home today about AS and his first question was how can he become an instructor. 

colycat

Make it happen, GB.

PM Scout if you need anything or some help.  He will be able to get you set up.  BTW,  are you ready for the Blue (Applecore) Hat?

Quote from: Green Bean on July 06, 2012, 05:43:08 PM
No tacos on the 4th.  But I did bump into one of the board of directors (BoD) from the Laredo Rifle and Pistol Club today today at a taco place.

I spoke with the BoD about what would be needed to host an AS.  He told me to send him a proposal and he would get with me on what it would cost for a two day event.  He was more interested in numbers than the history of the program.

Several local families are very interested in it and it would not be difficult to fill the lines down here.  Laredo has a law enforcement community of approx 3000 officers and their families.  Laredo also has a big hunting culture and most kids learn to shoot at a young age.   I sent a pm to "BDG" asking for guidance in setting something up.  I am guessing the Pharr Rifle and Pistol Club is a similar set to the Laredo club.

Rene and I learned a lot at our first AS event and want to pass on what we learned to others down here on the edge of the empire.  I was telling a coworker with three young shooters at home today about AS and his first question was how can he become an instructor.
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Green Bean

Thanks for the encouraging words.  I just got off the phone with Scout.  I will do what I can to make it happen.  I live less than a mile from the border and it is not uncommon to hear gun fire and random explosions from across the river.

Most honest Americans down here agree that gun control does not work.  They see their families in Mexico being slaughtered by the drug cartels with little help from their government in Mexico where owning a rifle is illegal. 

With the increased awareness of border violence some people down here are waking up.  Politics, immigration policies or laws are not what will keep our families safe if and when the time comes.  The bad guys have guns already and don't care about current politics or laws. 

Ok I will now take off my tinfoil hat and finish reading Paul Revere's Ride.

Quote from: colycat on July 06, 2012, 06:57:16 PM
Make it happen, GB.

PM Scout if you need anything or some help.  He will be able to get you set up.  BTW,  are you ready for the Blue (Applecore) Hat?

Quote from: Green Bean on July 06, 2012, 05:43:08 PM