News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Chugiak, AK June 23/24 - AAR

Started by ItsanSKS, June 26, 2012, 02:55:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsanSKS

Over the course of this past weekend, as many as 30 fine American patriots came out to visit the Birchwood Recreation and Shooting Park, host of the third Alaskan Appleseed. 

The weather for this event couldn't have been any better, with Saturday's temps ranging from mid-50's in the morning to high 70's throughout the afternoon.  Sunshine was in abundance, a welcome relief considering the amount of rain that we've gotten over the last week. 

We instructors are used to seeing a variety of rifles on the line, but I'd have to say that this event reigns supreme as to the diversity of shooting irons employed by our students- from single-shot bolt action .22's, Ruger 10/22's, AR-15's, there was even an old Mauser in .308! 

Even better than bringing interesting rifles, our students each brought the most important thing- a teachable attitude.  Soaking up the instruction like a sponge, our students made remarkable improvement throughout the weekend. 

Saturday started with the ubiquitous Hits Count! target, which served to illustrate to our students what their current skill level was.  Though we had numerous people who self-selected as a 3 or 4 out of 5 in skill level, the Hits Count! target showed that they still had some serious obstacles to overcome- few people were able to consistently hit at 200yds, let alone make consistent hits at 3 or 400... 

With their performance on the Hits Count! target serving as a not-so-subtle indication of what they were capable of on their own, our students were now ready to begin their journey towards becoming Riflemen (and Riflewomen!). 

The instruction began in earnest, starting with the steady hold factors of the prone position, and how to use both the Hasty sling and Loop Sling to support it.  Almost immediately, groups on paper began to coalesce.  But wait! There's more!

The next topic of instruction was the six steps to firing a shot - A simple, but effective task list for executing a perfect shot, every time.  Added to the six steps instruction was an introduction to Natural Point of Aim, or NPOA.  While our students were still getting used to the aches and pains associated with stretching out into a proper prone position, we then told them they were supposed to RELAX.  The looks of incredulity gave way to beaming smiles when they saw the improvement in their group size.

As the hours passed by, the instruction never stopped;  group instruction on Riflemans Cadence, Seated and Standing positions, transitions (or as I prefer to call it, Rifleman's Calisthenics) one-on-one instruction on proper trigger squeeze, breath control, creating a stable position, and a host of other topics finally culminated in the Appleseed Qualification Test, or AQT. 

The AQT is our student's final exam- putting their marksmanship ability up against reduced-sized silhouettes ranging from a lone one-hundred yard silhouette to FOUR (4) 400 yard silhouettes, scoring Expert on the AQT is no easy feat- it requires not only mastery of the physical skills we teach, but it also requires the mental fortitude to get into a bubble, and leave the 'time monkey' in the dust. 

While many of our students showed dramatic improvement, none had, as of yet, mastered the skills we were teaching.   Perhaps Sunday would reveal Riflemen?

Stay tuned for "The Rest of The Story"!

-ItsanSKS

In the meantime, please feel free to give your own account of this wonderful event!  Share pictures too, if you have them!

"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

alkeford

Its good to here your doing well in the great white north. You havnt missed a beat. The Student's have gotten a truly excellent teacher,there gain our loss. I am possitive with the level of instruction they are receiving,Rifleman will come out of the wood work.

Thank you for your service
Esse Quam Videri (To be rather than seem to be)
Powder With My Brother Ball Most Hero Like Doth Conquer All,
Tomet Nosce
The Suda, a tenth century encyclopedia of Greek Knowledge, says: "the proverb is applied to those whose boasts exceed what they are,"and that "know thyself" is a warning to pay no attention to the opinion of the multitude.

TruTenacity

Good report.

Just a note letting folks know Alaska now has a Facebook page.  I'm certain as Alaska grows so will their page.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Project-Appleseed-Alaska/342986245770712
"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

panhead

howdy

Good to hear you are up and running in God's country! We miss you here in tropical storm Debby, and wish you the best.

Alaska instructors have gained a fine mentor. The structure you and PHenry set up for us here is phenominal, due to your vision and BOTG.

Awaiting part 2 of the story...and remember

:pics:
But, the price they paid to win us our liberty? Few of us can comprehend it. Even fewer of us would want - or even be willing - to pay it. But all of us should know - at least - about it.

Never forget. Just to remember, is to honor.  -Fred

fisherdawg

Eric,
This weekend was outstanding.  Thank you and all the IIT's for the fantastic instruction.  David and Danny had a great time and will be back with me in August.  I learned many things that will contribute to much more consistent shooting.  These include using a much smaller target for dry fire, the 'couch stretch' for sitting position flexibility, the NPOA drill, improved (correct) use of the sling -- i.e. elbow at 90 degrees, the importance of index, transitions drills, how to adjust my shooting glasses so they don't fog,  to name a few.
I'll keep spreading the word and handing out tri-folds.  Many thanks to you, Josh H., Jason C., Jacob, PackerFan, and Bill.
Best regards,
Wally Thomas, aka

fisherdawg O0 ^:)^ ;D
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."
(Captain Levi Preston, of the Danvers militia, at age 91, remembering the day)

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

asminuteman

GeeeeZZZ Eric!

transplant you for a month, and you own the place!
Good to hear the shoot went well....

I shall never forget Alaska.....and those folks I meet.....you left an imprint upon me
Josh+Brit & family.....Tom....AND MORE

two words (Fish ???) Huh Eric! *hands on hips*
Cameron and I still laugh on road trips about that

-k

be well all
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine