News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR - Azusa, CA - June 23-24, 2012

Started by Foppish Dandy, June 25, 2012, 03:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foppish Dandy

What a great day out in Azusa! It may have been a bit warm, a bit windy and a bit loud... but this didn't stop several dedicated Americans from coming out to honor the Founders and celebrate their liberty.

I was honored to finally get my chance to work with my very first shoot boss, Rocket Man, along with Bucklenose, Fouber and Woof Doc. It was also great to meet some shooters from my end of Los Angeles (the Westside is the best side)!

From the very beginning, all of our shooters showed that they knew very much what they were about. Almost everyone was on paper and showing groups on our first several squares... We only saw improvement from that point forward.

By the end of the day, we had quite a few shooter who were showing impressive groups on all stages of the AQT (Tim, Daniel, Alex and Pat... I'm looking right at you guys!)  :---
I can't wait to see the updates from Day 2 and I look forward to shooting with all of you again.

Also, if you're on Facebook, take a moment to check out our page, tag yourself in the photos and give us a "Like": http://www.facebook.com/SoCalAppleseed
Foppish Dandy, Mr. Dandy, Señor Dandy, Capt'n Dandy

Please take a moment to visit and "Like" the Southern California Project Appleseed Facebook Page.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin (Notes for a proposition at the Pennsylvania Assembly, 1775)

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"
- Samuel Adams (Speech, State House of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, August 1, 1776)

Foppish Dandy

PICTURES!!!
Day 1 - Part 1

Please take a moment to visit and "Like" the Southern California Project Appleseed Facebook Page.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin (Notes for a proposition at the Pennsylvania Assembly, 1775)

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"
- Samuel Adams (Speech, State House of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, August 1, 1776)

Foppish Dandy

Day 1 - Part 2

Rocket Man

Ah, such initiative...  One would think he was gunning for his Green Hat!   >:D  Thanks for kicking it off, and great pictures.

Yes, as the saying goes, in Azusa you can find everything from A to Z in the USA, and one of those things is Appleseed.  We were back for our fourth 'Seed of the year at Burro Canyon, and the capricious weather spirits relented somewhat, blessing us with a merely warm Summer desert weekend and quite manageable zephyrs.  Such a change from March!   :bow:

Saturday saw seventeen students summoned by the siren song of shooting inStruction and stirring stories of our senior statesmen of the seventeen-hundreds.  About half were seasoned and experienced, the other half eager to learn and catch up, but in no time at all they were shredding squares and keeping up with everything. 

Took a break for lunch, where we met CalGuns ambassador Andrew -- and he wasn't just there to talk, he shot with us all weekend, too.  Then Foppish Dandy introduced us to Isaac Davis, and Woof Doc told the tale of the General's Duel between Lord Percy and Bumpkin Heath, and then it was back to the line for more.  By the end of the day's AQT, nobody had quite made it to greatness yet -- but boy, were they close.  Returning student Pat was inches away with a 207, so what do you think?  Would he be back for Sunday?   ;)

Sunday was well-named as Mr. Sun swooped a little lower upon us, but so did the graceful red-tails, bobbing over our line to salute the brave men and women of Menotomy after our own remembrance.  We had a brief visit from National Guardsman Eliot who's shooting was worthy of an expert badge, and we had Chuck come by eager to learn more after last week's shoot at Corona.  The occasional gust of dust couldn't slow us down much.  Because...

...By the end of the day, we found FOUR Riflemen in our midst!  First was Pat, so close he could taste it, finally posting a clean 218.  Then there was Chuck who snuck across the North Bridge with a 211, and you'd better believe I checked it carefully looking to shave a point...   ;D  Then Huy broke through with a 215, and to beat all Alex put up a 219 at the end of the day.  With a bolt-gun and iron sights, even.  Can you beat that?

Thanks again to all the patriots who came out this weekend.  It was spectacular.  We're doing another pair of events in the autumn at Burro, and there's lots of other nearby Appleseeds and Calguns shoots between now and then.  See you all soon!

ETA: And that's my 300th post!  Woohoo!
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

Foppish Dandy

Quote from: Rocket Man on June 25, 2012, 08:40:59 PM
...By the end of the day, we found FOUR Riflemen in our midst!  First was Pat, so close he could taste it, finally posting a clean 218.  Then there was Chuck who snuck across the North Bridge with a 211, and you'd better believe I checked it carefully looking to shave a point...   ;D  Then Huy broke through with a 215, and to beat all Alex put up a 219 at the end of the day.  With a bolt-gun and iron sights, even.  Can you beat that?

So awesome! Three HUZZAHs for our new Riflemen!
HUZZAH! HUZZAH! HUZZAH!  ^:)^

chasgee

Rocket Man,

I just wanted to say thanks again for a great Sunday.  I struggled a little early in the day, but your additional instruction got me over the hump!

I've challenged my friends across the country to get to an Appleseed and take up the challenge and the cause.  I can't wait to bring my oldest daughter to an event in the fall.

Chuck

Rocket Man

Here's my own photos from the shoot.  Contact me if you'd like a copy in full resolution.

The morning safety brief on Saturday, led by Foppish Dandy

Storytime under the big top, but before that we had Andrew talking about Calguns.  Sorry I didn't capture your best side...   ::)

Back to the line, on Sunday.  Looking down the left where Alex and Frankie and Tim and Daniel anchored the left edge, all under the watchful eye of BuckleNose

Aaaand, looking to the right.  Serious determination down there -- two would make Rifleman today, another already has his, and the last just barely missed it...

In the middle were our Lefties!  Chuck along with Robert who made great progress, even though his sights were a bit wiggly

Here's a look at Stage One, the Standing stage

Looking over Chuck's shoulder for Stage 3  ;)  Think you can hit those targets?  Well, c'mon down and show me, then!

... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

Rocket Man

First up, Pat

Followed by Chuck

And Huy...

And last but not least, modest Alex!  Congratulations!

Rocket Man

Quote from: chasgee on June 25, 2012, 10:22:32 PMI've challenged my friends across the country to get to an Appleseed and take up the challenge and the cause.  I can't wait to bring my oldest daughter to an event in the fall.

Hey Chuck!  Thanks for coming out and glad you made it across the line...

Watch out, though, I've seen many a daughter out-shoot her old man.   @)