News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

New Bremen, NY June 23-24, 2012

Started by Rattlehead, June 25, 2012, 09:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rattlehead

I have to say, this was one of the best Appleseeds I've been to yet.  Our line consisted of three Soldiers from Fort Drum, a mother and her twelve-year-old son, and MPH_VT, who joined the line to keep his skills sharp and assisted with instruction on Sunday.

Energy stayed high throughout; this group of shooters was one of the most resilient I've seen at an Appleseed.  Even by the end of the day, there was very little faigue showing, and everyone was showing outstanding progress in their marksmanship.  They paid rapt attention throughout the instruction of both history and marksmanship (the latter would truly show itself on Sunday).  They applied the lessons during Saturday, and watched their groups shrink by orders of magnitude on the squares target.

On Sunday, the first few targets showed that the shooters had retained much of what they had learned on Saturday and they continued to improve.  After Spartan's KD class, one shooter who had brought his AR moved over to the 400 meter range.  We continued to work on AQTs at 25 meters, with one shooter - who had been knocking at the door all day - reaching up and scoring a 215. 

By midafternoon, given the progress I'd seen in their shooting, I moved the rimfire shooters over to the 100 meter line, and had them fire on the full distance target.  The results spoke for themselves in two ways.  First, the students must have paid close attention during Smurf's IMC class because their shot groups landed dead center of the target after adjusting for 8" of drop between 25 and 100 meters.  The second result that truly showed how much they'd applied the rest of the lessons were the shot groups on the paper - all but two rounds were inside the 5-ring! (and the two that weren't were solidly in the 4-ring)

By the time we left on Sunday, I was proud to have worked with these great Americans, who came to hear the message and left better educated and shoot much better than when they arrived.  I had the opportunity to present one with a Junior Patriots patch and one with a Rifleman patch.  None were eligible to take an Orange Hat, but I have high hopes for them at future events.

Pictures to follow...

Spartan

The instructor team did a great job and kept the shooters motivated while learning the marksmanship and during the history.  I was amazed at when U.S.Cavman talked about saving the sinking ship and how to get involved at the response from our shooters.  His comments were rousing and finding about their level of local and national involvement already was inspiring to us.
I have never seen a 12 year old first time appleseeder understand his comeups and tech sight adjustments going from 25 yards to 100 yards so clearly before or grasp his IMC principles so well with confidence.  That young lad certainly left knowing his rifle.  Smurf did a great job on Full distance KD with a 216.  He left having tons more confidence that what works at 25 Yards can be applied to 400 yards.  Alan did a super job on Sunday both at KD and helping out on the 25 yard line.  USCAVMAN also I have to say-on sunday, he found a way to review trigger squeeze and follow through with a big stick that made all of the difference to the students and every instructor left with that in his kitbag from now on.  His 3 deployments to Afghanistan and one to Iraq certainly gave him credibility to our three soldiers from 10Th Mountain that were there for their first appleseed. 
  The shooters remain a real inspiration to me.  Great job!! and Ill see you all down the trail.
"With your shield or on it"

R1SGx2

To the three soldiers - welcome home... Thank you...

To the 12 year old first timer  O0 O0 O0
Thank you mom for bringing him.

To MPH_VT where ya been...

To the Instructor Team -  :bow: :bow: :bow:

Smurf IIT-4 see you soon  O0

"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

U.S.Cavalryman

It was a good weekend.
We had a 2MOA group get printed on the first squares target, and I dont believe anyone printed above 4 MOA from the prone all weekend.
Of the four shooters who did the whole weekend, the differences on QD AQT's were inspiring. They all applied the 6 steps and the last AQTs were well above 150s.
The Story was presented well and was understood by the group. And for the first time in many shoots, notes were being taken.

To finish the weekend with Rattlehead changing hats was an honor. Wasn't too long ago he was on the receive end of AS. Good job Rattlehead
"Only Hits count, you cant miss RAPIDLY enough to catch up"

Spartan

Smurf at the KD Range

Rattlehead

Pictures (Courtesy of US Cavalryman)

R1SGx2

Nice pictures, look at that shot group,  O0
Smurf, I'm showing Keith that picture with the AR...

Nice work by all....

The Mrs.

Looks like a great AS weekend with a wonderful group of shooters and some of NY's best.

Congrats to all and keep up the great work.
Think with love and truth
See with love and truth
Speak with love and truth
Hear with love and truth
And come from the heart, with love, and truth, and honor.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. ~ Margaret Mead  US anthropologist

Smurf

What an APPLESEED EVENT!!! IT WAS A SUPERSEED!!!!! It was amazing to watch the progress of the motivated students from the attempts at hitting near a Redcoat on Saturday thru to seeing the ENTIRE LINE firing GREAT GROUPS at KD on Sunday afternoon!!!! They all worked HARD!!! It was a hot weekend, thunder, burning sun, drenching downpores, sand and grit. They all should be proud!!!!

Spartan, Rattlehead and U.S.Cavalryman worked together as a team, at a steady consistant pace thru out the entire course of instruction. They all are excellent teachers for both Appleseed students and any Appleseed instructors lucky enough to work with them.

A very special THANK YOU is in order to FAMILY of U.S.Cavalryman for both sharing their weekend with us and for FEEDING ALL OF US THE MOST FANTASTIC HOT FOOD FOR TWO DAYS!!! They had to have cooked for days just to share with us. It means a lot to break bread with such wonderful people.

It was a solid Appleseed event with good students and staff.

Mph_VT

They were perfect days for an appleseed, even with the shower on Saturday afternoon.

It's been a while since I've been a shooter on an Appleseed line, but it was a comfortable place to be. My hats is off to the instructors, it was great working with new people and new perspectives; and also it's always a good thing for me to see Spartan; and Rattlehead, who, I remembered , was running the line in Lake George when I first scored Rifleman.

I came out to shoot, to work out the kinks from over the winter slow fire single load season and U.S.Cavalryman was ever so quick to spot my issues; thank you so much. Thanks to you and your family for the great vittles also.

Smurf was surprised and good to see you and I'll see you in Rotterdam.

Good job all.

Some photos:

Sorry this has taken me so long to get up. Aside from my normal remiss, I've been a bit under the weather and a bit under the gun.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it.

Learned Hand

Sir, the gods of the valley are not the gods of the hills, and you shall understand it.             

Ethan Allen

Spartan

Thanks Mph,
That last picture showed U.S.CAVALRYMAN helping a shooter to boresight his rifle on the line.  It was quick, dirty and it worked well.  The shooter went from not being anywhere on paper to being very close to the target. Hope you feel better soon Alan.

R1SGx2

MPH_VT,
As always, nice photos. Some hom I have this
feeling you enjoy being on the line getting
trigger time,
Thanx for all you do.
mark