News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Self Reliance Expo, Arlington, TX July 27-28, 2012

Started by Prone to Knit, June 22, 2012, 02:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prone to Knit

Texas, have we got a job for you!

The Self Reliance Expo is going back to Texas, in conjunction with the Glenn Beck Restoring Love Conference. The Expo will be in Arlington on July 27-28, 2012.

http://www.selfrelianceexpo.com/

We've heard the attendance at the Restoring Love conference is in the 100,000-150,000 range. The Self Reliance Expo was hand-picked by the Beck Group and the SRE has become a sponsor of the Restoring Love Conference, closely tied in with each promoting the other.

We get to be there again with our pellet line and booth and we're assuming stage time for our stories. We don't know how many people we'll be seeing but it will be larger than anything we've done before with the pellet guns.

So, we needs LOTS of help.  We're looking at 30 full-time people.  Five will run the pellet line.  We figure there will always be about 5 people on break, doing interviews or networking away from the booth. That means a consistent 20 people at the booth talking to people. We'll also need help on the 26th to get the booth set up. We bring our own pellet line walls now.

Jim and I will be there as well as the CO Promotions Coordinator MtnManPrepper (Peter). If you can help, please PM Scout ASAP as to how long you can help so we can get a solid count.

The expo has asked the vendors to do something a little extra for this expo. The theme is about learning so that you can help others. That has long been the idea with Appleseed - to learn to shoot so you can teach others. But the expo has asked us to try and come up with something else for the kids. We are open to ideas.  Look at inexpensive, hands-on with some promotional quality to it. An example only:  paper copies of our flags for the kids to color in that get put on a stick with maybe an Appleseed flag ribbon on it. They could wave them around at the expo. So, nothing has been done yet but we're throwing it out there for ideas.

National will be working on some special literature for this event. We're going to get as much as we can out of it.

It's going to be hard work but a lot of fun. Some of you were in Dallas in February and had a good time. We look forward to seeing you again and meeting some more of your team.

Again, please PM Scout if you can help.

Thanks,

Jim and Kim Heath
CO SC
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell
That's why I knit for our troops.
http://coversandsoles.org

Amber Waves

Hey,
Have you checked out the Appleseed kids page?  There is a thread for a handout and story for kids, with a take home activity.  Would a candy version of a musket cartridge be to expensive?  Just a thought.

There are other handouts and ideas there, too.

Hope this helps,
Amber Waves

Prone to Knit

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell

Publican

Depending on ages of kids, Would there be topic appropriate coloring books (youngest kids), easy readers (a little older), etc. - with stories revolving around our Country's founding.

I know nothing about budgets for an event like this, so just "thinking out loud." I will do some google searches to see what kind of kid books might exist.

QuoteThe theme is about learning so that you can help others.
What better way to help others than:

-to have a child ask a parent to help them read a cool story......
-to have a child relate the cool story they just read to another....
-to have a child proudly show off a colored picture of Paul Revere on a horse?

Might even be possible that if we find the right author/publisher we can get massive discounts/donations???
"I regard giving as necessary to right the balance..." Hu Chung

"Things now every day begin to grow more and more serious" Lord Percy

"Please remember the 2nd Amendment each and every time you vote".....Cork

"I need to actively fight the external threat, so as not to become the internal threat!".....Publican

Publican

http://www.examiner.com/article/new-children-s-book-series-to-focus-on-american-revolution-founding-fathers

QuoteNew children's book series to focus on American Revolution, Founding Fathers

The first book in the series, Dooney's World 1776, introduces children to the Founding Fathers, the first American Flag and the Boston Tea Party. Subsequent books will cover topics like Women of the Revolution, Lexington & Concord and Preachers of the Revolution. The latter may cause a bit of a stir.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
http://www.learningthings.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=BEL%2D88388%2D021%2D0

American Revolution Coloring Book     

List Price: $4.95 EACH

Qty:     

Item Code: BEL-88388-021-0
Weight:  0.50LB
Availability: Normally ships the next business day 
Model:  0883880210
Categories:  Coloring Books 

Item Description

See More: Kids Educational Activities

Childrens coloring books provide an excellent learning activity from preschool and up. Have fun learning about the American Revoloution with this fact-filled coloring book.The 1776 era was also the age of caricature. Scenes of our country's founding are shown here in that amusing style. You can learn American history with a maximum of mirth and laugh at it as did the original Yankee Doodle Dandies.

Learn American Revolutionary war history with these kids coloring books. The battles of the American Revolution come to life as kids read stories about the heroes of the revolution.

To see a printable version of this Item Click here. 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
http://www.learningthings.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=TCR3212

American Revolution - Teacher Created     

List Price: $11.99
Our Price: $10.79 EACH 
Qty:     

Item Code: TCR3212
Weight:  0.80LB
Availability: Normally ships the next business day 
Model:  1446703212
Categories:  American Revolutionary War Books 

Item Description

See More: Teacher Created Resources
See More: History Books

These American Revolutionary War history books are colorfully illustrated and are a great supplement to your American history curriculum. Students investigate the people and events of the American Revolution by examining poetry and literature, working with maps and timelines, and presenting a readers theater. The battles of the American Revolution come to life as kids read stories about the heroes of the revolution. This is an 80 page soft cover book by Teacher Created Resources recommended for grades 4-8.

To see a printable version of this Item Click here. 
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jus a few examples from a quick Google search

"I need to actively fight the external threat, so as not to become the internal threat!".....Publican

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

floydf

We had a GREAT show this weekend at the Self Reliance Expo at the Arlington Convention Center.

I would like to thank the entire DFW crew who really stepped up for this events.  Especially our IITs: Bill Yeary, Tim Beatty (who worked sun-up to sun-down both days), Bridgette Campomanes (who was just wonderful with the kids), and David Stitzsein.  You guys really made the show, and I just can't tell you how much I really appreciate your contribution and work for this event.  Thanks!

Special thanks to Steve Rabe for coming up from Houston, and who stayed at our house, and we had some great visiting before and after the event!

The Appleseed booth was almost always crowded, there were lots and lots of kids on the pellet gun line, and occasionally a few adults.  A LOT of the kids were really turned on to Applseed, and I think we should expect to see them on the line at some point in the future.

A lot of the people coming through had heard about Appleseed, and I had many conversations that were simply: "we know about the program, tell us where to sign up".   Appleseed is really getting on the radar screen, and we are making a difference.

Also thanks to the Colorado crew for coming down and putting this on.  I finally got to meet Peter: wow!  this guy can do promotions.

Again, thanks to everyone for their help and efforts: this was a truly fine public promotion for the Appleseed program, and definitely represented some fine "baling".

Regards,

Floyd
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed — where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

Kozinski, dissent in Silveira v. Lockyer

Publican

Two Wolves

A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

floydf

You obviously have heard about the photo of General George showing off his Redcoat target that he shot with the pellet gun.  We referred to it as "George Washington's revenge".  Maybe Spitstickler can post???

Quote from: Two Wolves on July 30, 2012, 05:31:46 PM
Great job guys----NOW   :pics:
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed — where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

Kozinski, dissent in Silveira v. Lockyer

Prone to Knit

We're back home now and I'm working on the IAAR. It will include pictures!  So you'll see them this evening.

Kim

hawkhavn

Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

Prone to Knit

It's up at:  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=30998.0;attach=92248

I'm working on resizing the pictures. My computer does really weird things; now a function of Photoshop is not working and I can't make the pictures smaller. Sent them to Jim who will fix them.

Kim