News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Harvard, MA, AAR - June 17, 2012

Started by aim, June 18, 2012, 06:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aim

Imagine a one day Harvard Appleseed without rain, snow, mud or bugs... Must be because I was SBIT! The weather is the only thing that I will take credit for, however. dwarven1's (the SB) diligent supervision, the RHs' gentle reminders, the IITs' eager participation and above all the shooters' unflagging attention made this day possible!

A mix of new and returning shooters resulted in good progress throughout the day and much better consistency by the end (groups shrinking throughout the day, Redcoats going from 4/1/2/1/3h to 7/5/1/2/1h). Unfortunately, there were no new riflemen and only one re-qual - possibly due to the rapid pace of the one-day event. A new Orange Hat advancement for two other IITs at least partly made up for this. The total round count for the day was 271.

This was, for me at least, a day of firsts... The first time there were 3 left handers, the first time I witnessed multiple brass burns (excellent muzzle discipline, thank you for heeding AS rule #1 and dealing with this in a safe manner!), the first time I saw AS shooters from a non-neighboring state, the first time I saw so many non-10-22 rifles on the line.

Thanks to Round Trip, a lot more pictures will follow, but here is everyone doing what they did best this day: paying attention. In this case, to Lima Tango explaining the fine details of the prone position (12 shooters, 6 instructors; picture courtesy Round Trip):

Thank you all for a great day!
Shiny!

Lima Tango

It was nice to see some repeat customers as well as new Appleseeders. This was a great day on the range. I hope to see you all back at HSC in August and make Riflemen out of all of you!
Remember the 6 steps and practice getting your NPOA! Get as much practice as you can! One of my favorite drills is to do NPOA shifts on a squares target! You don't even need to go to the range.

Get your rifles ready and we'll see you at the next Appleseed!
-LT

aim

Lima Tango discussing the fine points of the prone position:

U. demonstrating the prone position:

Lima Tango explaining "dragging wood":

Lima Tango using two of his awesome visual aids to make a point regarding NPOA:

Everyone paying close attention. As usual.

The SB keeping us honest:

voidoid emphasizing a subtle point re: adjusting NPOA in the prone position

aim discussing IMC:  "Well with this angle here, at this distance there, you would be off..."

"...by THIS much!":

Paying attention to IMC, the math and sight adjustment:

First Strike: "In the beginning..."

Early lunch and First Strike, Shooter Edition:

Early lunch and First Strike, IIT Edition:

The COF for the 100 yard silhouette:

Grab some Greencoats:

Practice the offhand position:

Adjust the sling:

Fire the offhand portion:

Shoot like a girl...

...if you can!

The SB doing SB things:

A wise RH who knows about sun protection:

and staying cool:

An IIT instructing (bok-bok-bok!):

And a shooter doing a good job following instructions (chicken wing!):

voidoid working with the youngest shooter of the day:

Those Greencoats are doomed!

Time for Lima Tango to demonstrate the sitting position:

and for the youngest IIT to point out the important elements:

We now proceed to finding NPOA on the 200 yard silhouette:

And it's the turn of the 300 yard Greencoat!

While some are finished, others take the time to make every shot count:

With 10 rounds LOAD!

FIRE! The south end of the line:

heading NNW along the line:

even further NNW:

even furtherer NNW:

furthererer:

further still:

almost to the north end of the line:

The whole line during a rapid fire AQT:

Instructors worrying about hot brass:

Instructor dealing with hot brass. That's what I call a brass deflector!

Rapid fire AQT transitions. Mag out, work the bolt, safety on!

Figuring out a Remy bolt release:

dwarven1 figuring and refiguring. Do we need river water or don't we?

mj52 knocking off another rifleman score:

Good job people! Time to wrap up and deliver the Third Strike...

Third Strike!

Listening to the Third Strike:

Lima Tango telling the story of the DOM and BOW:

Preparing to repel the Redcoats:

Take your time:

Purple Rifleman:

A newly minted Orange Hat. Congratulations, mj52!

D. L. and S. L., a long way from home: "Did we really drive all this way for this?"

"Yes, we did!"

Shiny!

aim

Back to The Top with more of Lima Tango's effective visual aids.

Lima Tango was very organized and well prepared. Thanks, LT!

Shiny!

Josey Wales

..nice pictures O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0  Good Job........
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

Round Trip

Thank you Aim for the weather, the sun was a bit much for us New Englanders but welcomed.
In agreement with all another fine, fun and well run AS.  I was impressed with some of the participants that didn't make Rifleman that were experienced shooters in (defensive and or tactical) skills.  On a whole they recognized their previous training was different, not the same as "AS Rifleman" making shots count at distance. From what I learned they appreciated the difference for the better and are a determined bunch.
It didn't occur to until ride home that, two days short of two months after April 19, 1775 was this same day in 1775, the battle for Bunker Hill, now we were really at war and boy did shots count.
Americans need to face the truth about themselves, no matter how pleasant it is.   Jeane Kirkpatrick

mj52

It's a little late, but thanks.

I did enjoy the day and do look forward to earning my hat. Everyday a little bit better.