News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Fenton, MI June 16-17, 2012

Started by Miki, June 18, 2012, 12:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miki

Wow, another great Appleseed weekend. The storms (mostly) passed us by. Although we did get a minor shower on Sunday the more threatening storm cells went around us.

I knew it was going to be a good weekend when we had 13 shooters on the line Saturday. One for each colony, how appropriate. They all had that most important teachable attitude and soaked up the instruction like sponges. And it showed, big time. We saw group sizes shrink and shrink and shrink some more. Gezzz...Zach (our one youth shooter this weekend) went from having a difficult time finding the paper Saturday morning to nailing the 300-yard Red Coat Sunday afternoon!

We had one repeat rifleman, George (who also told us an extremely amusing DOM [dangerous old man] story about rooming with Fred for a week at Camp Perry). In addition, George stepped up to take an orange hat and help us out on the Appleseed trail! Welcome aboard George.

On Sunday afternoon two repeat Appleseeders reached that elusive rifleman score. Paula nailed a 229 and Roger scored a 210! I think he did that on purpose so he could get a nice cooling shower. It was HOT!

We also had fun Sunday afternoon with what has become a Michigan tradition. Since Caliper was now wearing a red hat, he had no further use for his orange hat, so it turned into a target. Those who had 'big boy' rifles brought them out to punch big holes in that hat. What was really amazing is I put the hat on an unused backer-board. When we took the hat down and I looked at the board there was not a stray shot on it! The middle of the board was a goner, but the rest of it was untouched.

The history was very well received and after Bill Winkle gave his humorous yet moving 2nd strike the shooters jumped right into a discussion and wanted more. By the end of the 3rd strike they were shouting out the answers to the 'four questions of Appleseed'! It was a joy to behold.

You all did an amazing job this weekend. It was my honor and privilege to work with you. And of course, thanks once again to the Fenton Lake Sportsmen's Club for hosting this event, along with our local AppleCore early riser getting up early to get that gate unlocked for us, Softseller.

Please post up your comments and pictures!

Respectfully,

Miki

Johnnyappleseed

Sounds great Miki  O0

I was reminded of Fenton this weekend as I told a shooter to lower his rifle during the standing portion of the AQT .
This shooter ignored me and scored a 48 . I think you scored a 48 after ignoring me too  :-[
;D ;D ;D ;

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Toobeauku

Had a great time at the Fenton Appleseed this past weekend. It was hot but tolerable. We were not bothered too much by the short rain which cooled things off a little but raised the humidity a lot.

Hats off to Miki, Bill, and Caliper for their excellent instruction, safe range operation and bringing the American Patriot Heritage alive with some entertaining stories. Loved the Appleseed Theatre and Appleseed Karaoke on Sunday afternoon as well.

I am honored to be asked to participate as an IT and look forward to developing my instructional skills as well as bringing the historical events of America's struggle for freedom to folks and shooters in a memorable way. I'm also going to be working very hard to fill our range for the upcoming Appleseed at The Capital Area Sportsmen's League in Lansing, MI on August 18th and 19th.

I look forward to working with the Appleseed Project and the many accomplished instructors and of course FRED without whose vision this program would not exist. Thanks for all your help. 
NRA Benefactor Member   NRA Personal Protection Pistol Instructor,  NRA RSO
CMP Master Vintage Rifle Instructor
HIGH POWER... get some... and put your AppleSeed training to work for you.

When do we get to shoot the BIG RIFLE?

The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. " -- Samuel Adams
The above statement works for Communists too who seek to brainwash the masses, just an FYI....  Are you Bailing?

softseller

Thanks to all for yet another successful weekend, and congrats to the Riflemen!

Photo documentation here:
http://www.shootsweets.com/uploads/Appleseed/Fenton_June2012/index.html

Enjoy,
Dave

Toobeauku

Dave,

Thanks for the great Pics...I can't believe how quickly you have them posted here. There are some really good photos. Its nice to have them to post and share.

George

"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. " -- Samuel Adams
The above statement works for Communists too who seek to brainwash the masses, just an FYI....  Are you Bailing?

Whippet

A special thank you to George for playing colors on his bugle, it was an inspiring way to start day two. Thank you for taking the extra step and doing that for us.

On the first day when Miki asked Zach to lead us in the Pledge of Allegiance, he though she was asking him to lead us in singing the National Anthem. :)
1. Point the sights where they need to be pointed
2. Keep 'em there while you squeeze the trigger.
3. Repeat

Choose wisely and do your best at whatever you find yourself doing. (Whippet, 1997)

Toobeauku

Thank you Whippet,

Some PLAY, while others pretend to play...I'm a Bugler, a member of Bugles Across America.... I PLAY for the love of it. Glad you enjoyed it, it was my honor to be able to bring that emotion to your heart and start the day right.

Zack was a trooper. He ended up the weekend scoring at the 300 yard level on the redcoat target. He is well on his well to being a rifleman at a very young age....Go Zack! ... And go Zack's Dad....You better keep up!

Whippet

Excellent advise from Michigan's newest orange hat. Zach is pumped and we have already signed up for the July Appleseed (Fenton). He just finished dry fire practice and he REALLY wants to shoot >210 before I do. I think he will shoot "the score" at the next Appleseed (from his prone), I wonder what the next step would be? Perhaps the instructors attending will take away the rest and have him switch to prone with the sling?

Oh, one other thing. I think Zach was questioning your fashon choices because of your "funny jacket". I laughed and explained shooting jackets. Oh to see the world again thru a child's eyes.
3. Repeat

Choose wisely and do your best at whatever you find yourself doing. (Whippet, 1997)

Miki

Oops, my bad. I must be more clear in my requests. Sorry Zach was confused about the Pledge.

As to shooting jackets, I'll go out a limb and say Appleseed is NOT a fashion statement. Although, BeeFree certainly has flair in her 'super power' red crocs.

Miki

Did I ever mention my middle name is Stubborn?

Quote from: Johnnyappleseed on June 18, 2012, 01:05:17 PM
Sounds great Miki  O0

I was reminded of Fenton this weekend as I told a shooter to lower his rifle during the standing portion of the AQT .
This shooter ignored me and scored a 48 . I think you scored a 48 after ignoring me too  :-[
;D ;D ;D ;

Whippet

Miki,

I thought your request was very clear, it just caught him not quite paying close enough attention (exacerbated by the fact that I pulled him from bed at 6:45am). He was ready for the request on Saturday and I was glad to see him grow during the Appleseed. Thank you, Caliper, Bullwinkle, Softseller and all the other adults that facilitated a life changing event for an 11yo on his American Journey.
3. Repeat

SteelThunder

Sounds like it was a great one.  Congrats to all, especially our new Riflemen, Caliper for the Red Hat and George for the Orange Hat (glad to have you aboard and glad that I was at your first AS!)

ST
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

Johnnyappleseed

Quote from: Miki on June 21, 2012, 12:20:06 AM
Oops, my bad. I must be more clear in my requests. Sorry Zach was confused about the Pledge.

As to shooting jackets, I'll go out a limb and say Appleseed is NOT a fashion statement. Although, BeeFree certainly has flair in her 'super power' red crocs.

Miki , i have been told by several guys ,that a gal wearing an  shooting jacket  with rifleman patch is a close to a dude magnet as has ever been devised   ;D
What do you ladies think ?
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge