News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Rising Fawn, GA June 16 - 17 AAR

Started by Ramblin' Wreck, June 17, 2012, 09:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramblin' Wreck

Last weekend we completed our 4th Appleseed event here in Rising Fawn in the last 11 months. Every time we have one, I am reminded of the reason we decided to commit our range to regularly scheduled shoots after that very first weekend. Seeing the improvement in the shooting, especially the new shooters, and seeing the enthusiasm they exhibit at the history/heritage is well worth it.

Saturday morning began with 9 shooters on the line. We had a head start because 5 of the 9 were experienced Appleseeders back for their second or third trips. Bob and Jacob M. had been at an event I worked in Manchester, TN on Memorial Dayweekend. It was good to see them again so soon. Kerry L and daughter Kira came up from Atlanta for their 2nd event bringing Kerry's brother Stuart along for his first. Matt D made his second appearance here in Rising Fawn in a year. Welcome back, Matt.

After the welcome, safety briefing, Safe Rifle and First Strike we got to the job at hand. On the first Red Coat we had several 100 and 200 yard shooters but none at 300 or 400. That turned around completely by the end of the day.

Our all-local instructor crew of WriteOnTarget (who prefers simply WriteOn), Arwen, DAG andTellico did a splendid job of covering all the basics, positions, SHF's and NPOA before lunch. At lunch we had two pre-registered shooters arrive late which gave us a line of 11.

We made great progress in the afternoon as we watched shot groups shrink and the temperature rise. Pop up shade helped some but the mercury climbed into the mid and upper 90's by late in the day and no, it wasn't a "dry heat".

By theafternoon break and 3rd Strike we had one accomplishment tocelebrate, a re-qualify by Matt D joining us from below the "gnat line" inGeorgia who shot a 214. Huzzah Matt! I opined as how good Matt, a fellow TECHgrad (I use Ramblinwreck for a reason) would look in an orange hat. He says he'sthinking about it.

Father son team of Bob and Jacob M. They quietly worked on improving their shooting skillsat the end of the line and Bob shot a 205 by Sunday afternoon.

Experienced pistol shooter Travis, who came up with friend Matt D, greatly improved his rifleskills. Now if he can just focus on the fact that he's shooting rifle and not competition tactical pistol: squeeeeeezzze the trigger, don't jerk.

Two Army National Guard students from Pennsylvania who are attending a technical college nearby enjoyed the marksmanship training we offered. They both improved theirshooting skills and Jeff S commented that while he has been in the NationalGuard for six years he has never received marksmanship training like he did this weekend.

Ed B, Ramblinwreck's brother, came close to qualifying with a 203. He is lookingforward to his next Appleseed.

Manyshooters were only one flier away from qualifying.

Sunday's AQTgrind produced another Rifleman as Jeff S, from Pennsylvania, shot a 210 and got his patch, and some water from the Concord (don't ask how we got it, we'd probablyhear from the EPA  ::)  ) on his head. His friend and fellow Pennsylvanian Chris shot several scores near 200 and should have a big jump on his next Appleseed.

We're looking forward to the next Appleseed weekend at On Target at Fox MountainOctober 20 - 21.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

Ramblin' Wreck

Some pictures from the Appleseed event at Rising Fawn, GA on June 18 - 17. This is as good as it gets when you forget to take the camera and have to rely on the iPhone.

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

mattd

I almost forgot about the AARs. Thanks for the write up Ramblinwreck! And thanks for hosting the AS at your range again, we had a great weekend. Hopefully I'll see you around GA next time I get a free weekend and get to another Appleseed.