News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Buckeye, Arizona June 16-17, 2012

Started by azmule, June 17, 2012, 03:30:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

azmule

End of day one - a very good day to Appleseed in Arizona; dire predictions about the temperature turned out to be tempered by a cool breeze through most of the day, with the mercury just barely peaking into the triple digit range in mid-afternoon.  Unfortunately, I think those dire predictions took a toll on attendance, as only one hardy shooter made it to the line today, but he came ready to learn.

Following introductions, a  discussion of the Appleseed program and the journey of becoming a Rifleman, and  a safety briefing, we hit the line and got to work.  Throughout the day, Aaron proved to be receptive and persistent - and I have little doubt that we'll be posting a picture of him with patch in hand soon.

Anyway, here is the official spot for discussion, pictures, and follow up for the June Buckeye shoot.  Post 'em if you got 'em.   O0
Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda

azbrokenscope

One day after the conclusion of my first Appleseed shoot, and with time to reflect on how the weekend went:

It was hot out, but I still had an amazing time. I tried my best to glean as much information as I could from my rare 3 on 1 instruction weekend.  However, I couldn't help but sometimes wish there were a few more souls present to share in the experience and history.

I spent the weekend shooting with a scoped Winchester 290 tube fed .22 and then the same rifle using the iron sights.  After spending all day Saturday and half of the day Sunday shooting with the scope on, we determined that the scope was actually broken and would not hold zero.  It was shifting up and left approx 1 moa per shot.  While annoying at best, I was glad to learn that it was an equipment issue and not a shooter issue.  After switching to iron sights and working on my speed I shot a personal best ADQ in the high 180's.  Not too shabby for someone who had never shot with a sling before and hasn't shot regularly ever. 

Although I didn't earn my Rifleman patch, I did get a Rifleman Opportunity Card and will hopefully complete the patch on my next Appleseed.  All and all an amazing weekend. 

A special thank you to my instructor and IIT's. Scott, Pablo, and George.  It's thanks to volunteers like you that this program is gaining steam and getting bigger every year.

PaxxAZ

AZBrokenscope...
Fun name.
You where amazing and a total trooper.
You chose the hard and long rout, you persisted, you listened, you took advice, you tried it , and you kept at it.
Tube fed, I will have to ingrain that in my head.
I think with a half day you would have gotten the patch. After the transition drill we only did 2 AQTs.
It is people like you that keep us coming out. If there is only one shooter on a hot Arizona day, I hope they are like you.
Your advice and recommendations where all solid and well thought out, I have begun one outline already.  My issue is not, not knowing what I do wrong, but procrastination. I am well trained at knowing when I messed up  :wb:
On the Prep issue, we will see where that goes, in our current use, you are correct.

As to the Scope being broken, I don't think so, I'll post some links on things to try. We were just not equipped to troubleshoot and correct with any certitude.
Mounting to a rifle with Picatiny rails (not your rifle)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=lQgXPA4A2J0&NR=1

Pretty solid method, I recommend it for the common steps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdyGeNHfbiA
is more to your needs but a large advertisement.
At :53 seconds is the part I think is failing, alignment of the rings.
Also properly torque on the rings to the rifle.
Is it worth it with your current scope?  Yes, very much so.  Not a loss if it is broken and you learn how to do it. I have learned not to skimp on rings, but no need to go overboard. 

Based on your profession, you probably have some torque wrenches. The free standing levels are not for sure though.

However the cross eye dominant thing, did not seem to affect you much, it is something we did not test.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVWEQk1JSl4
I recommend using a light post or something down the street at least 20 feet away or the edge of a door 10 feet away.  But the basics are there in the video.

Hope to see you in the future, and I really recommend you check out Rio Salado.
http://www.riosaladosportsmans.com/
There are many things talked about that make the people of the US
different; being riflemen is one, asking why is another, as is getting
what needs doing done.

-Me 2011