News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Piru CA June 16-17 2012 AAR

Started by Dano, June 16, 2012, 11:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dano

Another great day in Piru, weather 90° and sunny with a little wind. A great gorup of shooters. No riflemen today but I think we will have a few on Sunday. Check back for more and pictures. And a new Redhat Fopish Dandy, welcome and congrats. More tomorrow.

Dano
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

'No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.'- Ronald Reagan

Johnnyappleseed

Congratulations on earning your REDHAT Foppish Dandy  O0
Great job Sir  O0

Looking forward to lots pics  ;D
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Cal 7.62

3 Huzzah's for Foppish!  ^:)^   ^:)^   ^:)^
Congratulations sir!  O0
"Let us therefore rely upon the goodness of the Cause, and the aid of the Supreme Being, in whose hands Victory is, to animate and encourage us to great and noble actions - The Eyes of all our countrymen are now upon us..." - George Washington

Dano

Well the second day of Piru indeed brought us a new rifle women. Yes, Delaney has followed in the steps of Madam Yotnottin and took a purple patch with a score of 216. Her dad Willie was not far behind. We had several shooters that scored well, Dave, Paul, Rich and Ken are showing steady improvement. Dave shot a few in the 190's before running out of ammo and switching to a 10/22.
   Ally was Rich's daughter and was a pleasure to have on the line and showed great improvement. Breanne was another young lady who came out with her dad Ken and shot well  and was also a pleasure to have on the line! I think it is going to be  a summer of Rifleman in Piru.. Huzzah!!!

As for the Piru 2x4 shoot the left side of the line Rich, Ally, Delaney and Willie rocked the contest. They won 3 out of 3 clearly dominating the game.

I almost forgot to mention the boy of Saturday Joe (lounge chair) John, Joey and Brentten. Brentten was close to rifleman scores and I am sure will make rifleman. I even have hope for Joe who shoot so relaxed it is like he was in a lounge chair. Someone bring that man a cool ice tea with an umbrella!

Thanks to everyone for a great weekend.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

'No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.'- Ronald Reagan

Foppish Dandy

First, I'd like to say thank you to Dano for having enough faith in me to hand over that red hat. Also, I'd like to say another huge thank you to all the other instructors and shooters that have inspired, instructed and motivated me along my path so far... I hope as I continue on with my own journey that I'll carry myself in a manner that upholds the values of the program. I also hope that I'll have the chance to inspire future instructors as all of you have inspired me. Now it's time for my RED HAT HAPPY DANCE!!!  ^:)^  ^:)^  ^:)^

Now on to the important stuff...
There's not many better ways to spend a weekend than at an Appleseed with dedicated Americans celebrating their liberty and connecting with their heritage... and that's just what we did in Piru this past weekend.

With it being father's day weekend, it was especially great to see so many father and son/daughter combos on the line. John and Joe (fondly dubbed "Lawn Chair" by Dano  ^-^), Paul and Kimberly, Rich and Ally, Willie and Delaney and Dave and Noah.

Saturday morning found fifteen shooters braving the heat and laying down some impressive groups from the very beginning. Throughout the day, all of the shooters listened, internalized and applied the instruction and it showed as groups only grew tighter throughout the day.

Sunday found eight returners willing to spend another day in the sun and dirt to shoot for those rifleman scores. It was a day-long numbers dance with several shooters skirting the edge of that score until Delaney finally broke through with a score of 216 to become California's newest rifleman. CONGRATULATIONS DELANEY! HUZZAH! HUZZAH! HUZZAH!  ^:)^ In a rather heartfelt moment, one of our other shooters, Dave, also presented Delaney with an American flag patch that had been through a tour in Saudi Arabia.

Each and every one of our shooters this weekend was an inspiration and absolute pleasure to work with. Dave and Willie... Keep dry-practicing and find that bubble and you'll see those scores top 210 in no time. To my good friends John, Joe, Joey, Brentten and Isaiah... Thank you all so much for coming out! You all proved that you have what it takes to become Riflemen... I can't wait until the next time you're all able to join us for an event and keep refining those skills!

If any of you are on Facebook, make sure you take the time to "Like" our page and tag yourself in photos! http://www.facebook.com/SoCalAppleseed

Pictures are below!

- Foppish Dandy
Foppish Dandy, Mr. Dandy, Señor Dandy, Capt'n Dandy

Please take a moment to visit and "Like" the Southern California Project Appleseed Facebook Page.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin (Notes for a proposition at the Pennsylvania Assembly, 1775)

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"
- Samuel Adams (Speech, State House of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, August 1, 1776)

Foppish Dandy

PICTURES - Day 1 - Part 1

Please take a moment to visit and "Like" the Southern California Project Appleseed Facebook Page.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin (Notes for a proposition at the Pennsylvania Assembly, 1775)

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"
- Samuel Adams (Speech, State House of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, August 1, 1776)

Foppish Dandy

PICTURES - Day 1 - Part 2

Foppish Dandy

PICTURES - Day 2

gonejohnny

Congratulations Delaney!
And Foppish Dandy... Seriously, man... Way to go! Thank you for all your efforts and dedication! Now, what in the world are we going to do with all that orange shoot gear of yours???
Guess we're gonna have to make some new O R A N G E - H A T S ! ! !

Scott1600

Congrats to the new Rifleman!!  O0
Congrats to Foppish Dandy on the Red Hat!  Way to go!   O0
"Objects of the most stupendous magnitude, and measure in which the lives and liberties of millions yet unborn are intimately interested, are now before us. We are in the very midst of a revolution the most complete, unexpected and remarkable of any in the history of nations." -John Adams, July 3, 1776.

ai6pg

Quote from: Foppish Dandy on June 19, 2012, 03:29:57 AM
PICTURES - Day 1 - Part 1

Are all the M4's I'm seeing .223/5.45 or are they .22LR ? Shooting Appleseed with .223 would be quite a challenge and expensive.

I would love to see Appleseed shot using subsonic .22LR - then we wouldn't need to use hearing protection. Easy to dream  ;)

Wish I had been there, but I was taking the NRA Certified Rifle Instructor course.

Peter AI6PG
Peter Grace  AI6PG
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

wcmartin1

Quote from: ai6pg on June 27, 2012, 04:33:00 PM
Shooting Appleseed with .223 would be quite a challenge and expensive.

Expensive - Yes.  Challenging - Nah.  We used to shoot 'em all with M1's, M14's, FAL's, and SKS's before the LTR became a fashionable and economical alternative.  :cool2:
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Orangedotfever

Quote from: wcmartin1 on June 27, 2012, 05:48:26 PM

Expensive - Yes.  Challenging - Nah.  We used to shoot 'em all with M1's, M14's, FAL's, and SKS's before the LTR became a fashionable and economical alternative.  :cool2:

After shooting a rifleman score with my scoped 10-22, I wanted to do it with open sights. I didn't have a rimfire with open sights, so I shot my AR-15 in 7.62x39. Not as expensive as 5.56 and it proved to be very accurate with cheap Russian Silver Bear ammo.  The techniques taught at Appleseed just flat out work.
"Need", has nothing to do with it!

"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living."  John Wayne

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well armed lamb.

wcmartin1

Quote from: Orangedotfever on June 27, 2012, 09:37:09 PM
The techniques taught at Appleseed just flat out work.

By God!

Fred's been sayin' that for years.  :DH:

Git-R-Done!  :---
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Johnnyappleseed

Quote from: wcmartin1 on June 27, 2012, 05:48:26 PM

Used to be lots of centerfire a low prices  O0
A entire  case of south african 308 was $200 .
Unfortunately begining in about 2009  -a certain unamed international organisation prompted nations to stop selling surplus ammo to the civilian market .

Fortunately we americans persisited and the LTR was developed . I believe anyone who scored Rifleman with an LTR could do it with good  a centerfire .
Thanx for the reminder of the good old days WCM1  O0
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge