News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

St. Augustine, FL June 9-10, 2012

Started by 9mm4545, June 11, 2012, 11:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9mm4545

T'was a dark and stormy weekend for the 13 hardy patriots who braved the heat and storms to learn the fine American tradition of marksmanship--and about the men and women who put that tradition to good use on a certain spring day 237 years ago. If it wasn't raining, then the heat and humidity were enough to keep you almost as wet as everything was well lubricated with sweat. Our instruction moved along despite the showers and by the end of day one we had solid progress. For all you who could only attend on Saturday, dry firing is your friend now that you know how to practice.

Sunday started and ended with yet more rain and the previous day's heat and humidity must have taken a toll as our original 13 were pared down to numbers you could count on one hand. With instructors outnumbering students, there was much one on one interaction and by the end of a hot and muddy day, we had revealed another Rifleman. Jeff, you have what it takes. Congratulations on shooting the score and joining the company of Rifleman! With the mother of all thunderstorms rapidly bearing down on our dwindled ranks--and scores on the AQT beginning to dwindle as well due to heat and exhaustion--we broke camp and managed to get all packed up right before the deluge began. On my home I was treated to hail, torrential rain, and a lightning strike so close it made my scalp tingle. I for one was glad we were no longer out in the open on the firing line. Ryan, Tony, and Donald: thanks for hanging in there and persisting. You guys are going to make Rifleman on your next event. Just put all your good stages together on one target on the same day and you will have it! I will soon try to add a couple of photos taken at the event. Until next time, shoot straight and keep your powder dry.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

jeff4sun

I want to thank you guys for making an otherwise nasty weekend into one that I will not forget.  I thought I was a good shot going into the weekend, but I was wrong.  I could hit targets and I knew how to operate my rifles but I was not a rifleman.  You guys did a great job of instructing the entire group, including one on one time with several people that needed that extra help, on how to consistently get into the three basic positions, find the NPOA, and make the shots. 

By the end of the day Saturday my head was pounding and I was trying to mentally digest everything you guys taught us.  I didn't think I would shoot the rifleman score Saturday and I was less confident after actually trying and seeing how hard it was.  I actually got worse throughout the day due to fatigue and the weather.  I knew Sunday would be more challenging because of the pace and more bad weather in the forecast.  Sunday ended out being an even better experience than Saturday.  The weather held and with the reduced class size we had one on one if not two on one training.  Every shot I took I felt more confident and the instruction was right on.  You guys picked up on the mistakes I was making and showed how to correct them down to breathing, trigger control, everything. 

I am honored to have shot the rifleman's score by the end of the day Sunday.  I can easily say that I would not have been able to do it without the great volunteers willing to stick it out despite the rain, heat, ants, mud, and small class size Sunday.  I am very impressed with the Appleseed program and will be back with friends!

PS:  I would love to see pictures

9mm4545

The quality of these photos is a bit "less than professional" but I am going to blame it on a low resolution camera phone with a combination of rain, dirt, and sweat on the lens. Since I personally took no pictures whatsoever, I can only give kudos to those who contributed (mostly Speed Bump). If you have other photos you wish to share, put 'em up!
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

jeff4sun

Thanks for the pictures.  I love Donald's pool noodle gun. 

If FLawyer sees this I would love to get a copy of the picture you took of me getting the patch. 

9mm4545

Our newest Rifleman! Congratulations Jeff!

smoakingun

Wow, what a weekend. While not a scorching hot weekend, the humidity more than made up for it. Congratulations Jeff, well done. I think it should mentioned that jeff shot that score with only a hasty sling. We had a great bunch of students this weekend. It was a shame so many did not return, there was a lot of potential in this group. I hope to see them all when appleseed comes back to St. Augustine
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.

Thomas Jefferson

jeff4sun

Thanks Smoak.  Enjoyed the weekend and the help you gave. 

ToneDef

I had a great time at this Appleseed and greatly enjoyed the personal attention we got on Sunday. I had a lot of equipment issues and should have tapped out on some pretty terrible aftermarket mags before they became a problem. Props to ProfCJ and Smoakinguns for all the helpful advice! I apopreciate the confidence, 9mm4545!
"Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing." - Thomas Paine, Rights of Man, 1791

"There's the country of America, which you have to defend, but there's also the IDEA of America. America is more than just a country, it's an idea. An idea that's supposed to be contagious." - Bono

Palatka ten twelve "Smoakin' IBC"