News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Alton, IL June 9-10, 2012

Started by Patriot Gal, June 11, 2012, 06:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patriot Gal

The summer sun was beating down pretty hard this weekend in the gravel quarry, but that didn't stop 12 persevering Americans from learning and improving their marksmanship prowess over the two days of rifle instruction and attending to American Revolutionary War history telling and discussion.    The group was a mix of veterans from previous Appleseeds and those new to Appleseed.  We had folks there who had met Appleseed at the NRA convention and through Shotgun News.

On Saturday, the heat was quite oppressive which definitely slowed things down.  However, we persevered and completed the instruction for the day and were rewarded with our first of two Riflemen for the weekend.  Congratulations Gary!!   O0

Sunday brought some relief from the heat with some cloud cover.  Another Rifleman was forged following a rifle change from an "out of the box" version with factory sights, to one which allowed him to reveal his marksmanship skills....Congratulations to "Pete".   O0

In spite of the heat, the students continued through each drill, instruction and history with no complaints and avid attention.  Couldn't have asked for a better group of Appleseed students.  One of our students almost had to leave due to the heat on Sat.  It's very important to be able to sweat in the heat and she did not.  We cooled her off in the air conditioning in one of the vehicles which did the trick.  No more laying in the sun for her!!!

My thanks to all the Americans who got off the couch and spent their weekend with us.  Thanks to Castle Mountain and boarderraid, who instructed and told the history along with me.   It was my pleasure to shoot boss this event.

More pictures to follow.   O0

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan

PinkCamo

Thank you Patriot Gal, Castle Mountain, and Borderraid. Great instruction, as always. All participants did very well! Pictures to follow!

PinkCamo

First strike of the match.

PinkCamo

More pictures

Pete!

I had a great time!  Making Rifleman was an awesome and humbling feeling.  Thank you all for putting this on!  I thought about it over the last two nights and I would like to become an instructor.  I guess I have to wait until I go to a second shoot.  Oh well, I have work to do on my rifle anyways.
-Pete

"It is an enormous simplification to speak of the American mind. Every American has his own mind." -Ludwig von Mises (Theory and History)
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress)
"Those who are in love with practice without knowledge are like the sailor who gets into a ship without rudder or compass and who never can be certain [where] he is going. Practice must always be founded on sound theory." -Leonardo da Vinci (#19 Of the Mistakes made By Those Who Practice Without Knowledge)

Brown

Quote from: nachopete on June 12, 2012, 03:10:39 PM
I had a great time!  Making Rifleman was an awesome and humbling feeling.  Thank you all for putting this on!  I thought about it over the last two nights and I would like to become an instructor.  I guess I have to wait until I go to a second shoot.  Oh well, I have work to do on my rifle anyways.

OUTSTANDING!!
I have noticed you get things done and I respect that-SPQR

Trig

Quick schedule another shoot ASAP and get that man a HAT!!  Thank you for stepping up!
1st Appleseed - Osage Beach MO, 4/17/10- special thanks to Longshot, ThorsHammer, and JungleGeorge
2nd Appleseed - Lodi WI - Rifleman/Orange Hat 4/17/11 - special thanks to Dragonfly, Mr. Natural, Lady Vetch, and Trisha
IT1 - Hubertus WI, 5/7/11
IT2 - Racine WI, 6/11/11
IT3 - Suamico WI, 6/18/11
IT4 - Racine WI 8/7/11     ***KD Rifleman*** special thanks to Colycat and JoeZ
Red Hat - Hubertus 8/13/11
Shoot Boss - Lodi WI 6/10/12  *thanks to all I have learned/stolen from on my journey* Special thanks to Dfly and Coly *
********************Better Americans today, better America tomorrow!********************

PinkCamo

More pictures of a great weekend!

PinkCamo

More

PinkCamo

Final shoot of the weekend.

Miller

Come up to the Montrose, Iowa shoot June 23-24!
Learn a bit more about your rifle and we will proudly welcome you in with a hat!

And I love your Heinlein quote from The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.  Prof. de La Paz is one of my favorite characters.
Fearful but resolute.

Pete!

QuoteCome up to the Montrose, Iowa shoot June 23-24!
Learn a bit more about your rifle and we will proudly welcome you in with a hat!

And I love your Heinlein quote from The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.  Prof. de La Paz is one of my favorite characters.

I would love to!  My family settled in Montrose, Keokuk, and Ft Madison when they immigrated from Sweden.  Unfortunately, I have a local event I must go to on that Friday evening and then I fly to Massachusetts on the 24th.  I travel a lot for work and have to schedule around that.  Maybe September?

Indeed, Heinlein had strong independent characters and knew how to make them come alive.

-Pete

"It is an enormous simplification to speak of the American mind. Every American has his own mind." -Ludwig von Mises (Theory and History)
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress)
"Those who are in love with practice without knowledge are like the sailor who gets into a ship without rudder or compass and who never can be certain [where] he is going. Practice must always be founded on sound theory." -Leonardo da Vinci (#19 Of the Mistakes made By Those Who Practice Without Knowledge)