News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

[---> AAR: Simsbury, CT - June 9-10, 2012 <---]

Started by CortJestir, June 11, 2012, 03:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CortJestir

Our fourth Appleseed at the Metacon Gun Club in Simsbury, CT and also our fourth sold-out shoot there! So if you're keeping score, we're batting a thousand at Metacon.  :)

Simsbury always brings out a great bunch of shooters and this event was no exception. Our students, whose skill levels ranged from beginner to expert, were all engaged and had a great time. Many of them were members of the club and nearly all of them were part of a family that decided to not spend the weekend on the couch, but instead on the line learning to shoot and hearing about the sacrifices made on April 19, 1775.

Saturday brought cloudy skies with mild temps and some mug in the air. It also brought out 21 students to tackle the instruction and listen to the Three Strikes of the Match. Sunday faired warmer with sunny skies and all but 2 of our Saturday students returning. A quick brush up of skills on Sunday morning gave way to the AQT Grind / Buffet, interspersed with some KD shooting and a trigger finger drill to add some spice.

Congratulations to CT's newest Riflemen!! Michael P. scored a 213 on the very first AQT on Day 1. A return student attending his second Appleseed, Michael is proof positive that practice and persistence pays off. Well done! Not to be outdone, Will C. followed the next day with a score of 212 and if I'm not mistaken, this was his first Appleseed placing Will in that rare echelon of Appleseed students who score Expert on their first 'seed. Congrats!! Lastly, Vladimir M., who attended last year's Metacon shoot in a less-than-optimal state and vowed to return to exact vengeance on the AQT, did so in good form with a 212. He then followed it up with an AQT in the 220's. Nice job, Vladimir!

Special thanks as always to Dom and the members of the Metacon Gun Club for sacrificing their main range for a whole weekend again. We know how a big a deal this is and are always grateful we have the opportunity to share our knowledge and history up there.

And of course, our intrepid instructor crew. Some Hat joked about being on the "A Team" at this shoot and then followed it up with "But there's no such thing as a B Team in CT." I couldn't agree more. Thanks for being the well-oiled machine that you are, to our instructors at this shoot and our entire CT crew.

I was enjoying shoot bossing so much, I didn't take pics! But I know many of you did. Please post 'em when you can before someone uses that gosh-awful emoticon.  ;)

Best,
CJ
CT Appleseed Facebook Page

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson :D

~Kathy

ok, so I only was able to get one picture because I was too busy shooting.... and so it is of no one shooting!   
This was my first full 2 day Appleseed event, at the lovely Metacon Range with the covered line.  Even tho it is two full days, it goes by so fast!  I was fustrated with my shooting and everyone suggested getting some Tech Sights which I did, they are on the way!!   I am told that even I can put them on.  Well I have a month in which to do that.....because I signed up for the Lady Seed event and I will keep doing this until I get that purple patch.

CortJestir

Hi Kathy! Nice to see you on the forums. Yes, those stock 10/22 sights can be tough to use for 4 MOA shooting. I always like to say they are "minute of squirrel" accurate. That said, your groups were pretty good and if I'm not mistaken, they got better as the weekend progressed. Nice work. Also great to see you've signed up for another one! Bring a friend or two...or 10! :-)

CT Appleseed Facebook Page

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson :D

~Kathy

Minute of squirrel, now that's funny!!
I am signed up for a couple other Seeds and I can't wait.  I also have about 3 or 4 hundred of the foldout sheets that I have been handing out and putting in the local stores so I hope to bring some strangers along also!
I really want to express my gratitude for all the time and efforts put forth by you people who put on these events.  I know what it is like to work for free, haha, being self employed, that reality does not escape me!   All of these sacrifices you are making in your own lives (just to help someone like me learn to properly shoot a rifle) will not be in vain.  This is a great thing, with a great message - I Love Appleseed!!!!!!