News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Castro Valley, CA June 16-17, 2012 AAR

Started by Nero, June 11, 2012, 01:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nero

This is a placeholder post, read below for the whole story.

For those looking for information about Appleseed-friendly activities at Chabot Gun Club (and targets) see:
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=23542.0
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

Nero

A short Day 1 report:

The hottest day of the year in the Bay Area, we hit 98 degrees at the range in mid-afternoon.

37 shooters on the line, we did some on the fly rewriting of the POI to get them into the shade more frequently.  A very safe group, good heat and water discipline, and good attention to muzzle control and ceasefires.

The slow down cost us a couple of courses of fire, but we hit all instructional points and got in one AQT.  And our first rifleman stepped forward, John with a kickin'  239!   ^:)^  There's a man who knows very well what he's about!

We had four scores that I saw at 196 and above, including a painfully close 209 (on a day when that North Bridge water would have been just the thing).  Tomorrow we expect fewer degrees and more patches to be handed out!  Take that Vitamin A and we'll see you in the morning!
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

Edheler

I had a great time visiting California as an IIT from Pennsylvania! I am at the airport right now waiting for my flight. I will write up a message while I am on the plane and post it when I get home!

Edit written on my flight:

Courtney, Bruce, Kendall, Simon, Gene, and everyone else at the Castro Valley, California Appleseed I wish I had remembered all of your names, (I am on name overload!)

I know many of you were within range of becoming riflemen or riflewomen, as I write this somewhere over the midwest on my flight home to Pennsylvania, I hope you have already achieved that goal. As I reflect on my time in California I hope all you take another step towards Liberty: I would be honored to call any of you colleagues on the line. If chance doesn't have you find the mark this weekend I am certain that all of you can achieve the "score" in the future. Remember that a rifleman or riflewoman persists!

You might find the challenge of becoming an instructor intimidating. I can't tell you that it is easy. I can tell you that following the hard path is more rewarding than following the easy path. I suspect that you are already aware of that since you attended an Appleseed in the first place. I can also tell you that if you have an open mind and a teachable attitude you will learn more about shooting and becoming an excellent rifleman or riflewoman on the other side of the line than being a shooter. You may have been dragged to an Appleseed by a parent, or a significant other, or you might have found out about us all on your own. I can tell you without equivocation that we need each and every one of you to pass the message of our heritage on to everyone you know.

I will also make each and every one of you a promise: If you become an IIT (Instructor In Training) and then go on to become a Red Hat (full instructor) I will travel out to California, at my own expense, to attend a shoot that you're either going to achieve that goal or have just achieved that goal. (I just need enough notice to get a reasonably priced plane ticket! :) ) I can't really express how much each and every one of you affected me. I have hope for our country as never before. You are the change you looking for in the world and it is up to you to change hope into reality.

I expect each you reach out to your representatives and express your opinion and bend them to your will. The government is ours for better or for worse but without our participation it becomes the purview of our "betters" to provide solutions for us all.

We live in a time where most everything is easy. True challenges are few and far between. However, that leads to a situation where few amongst us know what they are about. Take Lord Percy's quote to heart: "There are men (and women!) amongst them who know well what they are about." Take immediate action in your lives, I doubt that any of you will regret it!

In Liberty,

Edheler

Nero

It was already getting a bit warm as the Bay Area Appleseed crew arrived to set up at the Chabot Gun Club above Castro Valley.  Our team of Pat (American Amazon), Dennis (BoxesOfLiberty), Albert (Han Solo), Rex (guru), Kim (kilakiwi) and yours truly was joined by border-raiding IIT Mike (Edheler) from Pennsylvania, who was out for Apple's Developer Conference and generously offered to stay over to help out and do some instructor corps cross-pollination to boot.

The weather service had forecast low 90s.  They were wrong.  In the event it hit 98, the hottest day of the year in the Bay Area.  That kept some shooters away, but 37 Americans were soon on the line, well-equipped with water, pop-up shelters, and determination.  And great generosity was shown in sharing around that shade, refreshment and loaner equipment!

In consideration of the heat, we moved instruction into the shade and took longer breaks, but by noon we were through steady hold factors, 6 steps including NPOA and cadence, and sight adjustments.  We took a longish lunch to let body temperatures cool down, as we told the story of the 3 strikes of the match with Dennis, Rex and yours truly doing the honors.

Then back into the furnace to see if we could forge some riflemen.  We worked through sitting, standing and mag swaps with some green coat targets, and released the time monkey from his cage.  The only good thing about the heat is that it had driven many of the shooters off the adjacent public lines, so the usual Castro Valley noise barrage was less than normal.  (Yes, first timers, that was our version of 'quiet'  ;D)  But riflemen persist, so we kept on.

After another cooling break, we got in one AQT, and indeed we did make one rifleman:  Local LEO John C at 239  ^:)^ - who also cleared both redcoats of the day!  Several others were knocking on the door, so we wrapped up with high hopes for Sunday.

Sunday was forecast for low-80s, but after Saturday's experience, we decided to take full heat precautions again.  This time the reality was more in line with theory, but safety comes first, as we had 30 shooters on line.  We took the morning reviewing marksmanship, adjusting sights, and doing a ball and dummy drill, then broke early for lunch.  Mike, Dennis, Pat and Albert told some stories of Dangerous Old Men and one Determined Dame.  Then we wrapped up with an interview of a 91-year old Revolutionary veteran, Capt. Preston (played by yours truly) by young reporter Pat.  Mike had to head for the airport at this point - we appreciated his help and enthusiasm, and hope he enjoyed the 'warm' welcome to the West Coast instructor corps.

Then into the AQT grind, and the riflemen began to emerge.  First Seth posted up a 218, then topped it with a 227.  Previous rifleman Gene requalified with a 212, and then stepped forward to take an orange hat and help us on the line for the rest of the afternoon.  Thanks for stepping up, Gene, you're a great addition to the team.   ^:)^  O0  The afternoon was also enlivened by a eucalyptus tree on the hill above the target line, which cracked and crashed down during a ceasefire.  Fortunately it didn't end up in the impact area, so we carried on.

After a longish afternoon break for cooling and hydration, we did a quick fun shoot.  In a tribute of sorts to a certain popular game (what would have happened if the colonists had had smart phones?), we broke into teams to shoot the noses off of 'Major Pigcairn' or 'King Porge'.  After a mad minute of marksmanship, it was clear that the team captained by Carina had taken the prize, with a nice circle cut right out of the the Major's snout.

Then back into the grind for 3 more AQTs, and we had more riflemen.  Bruce W made his mark with a 213, and the three other members of his family were also turning in good scores.  We look forward to seeing you guys back again, or maybe we'll take the show on the road to your home range up in Concord!   Mark A had also made a 213, but that target got 'lost' for a while.  (Shoot bosses can be evil that way.   >:D )  But he had a nice surprise at the end of the day, we think!

We saw a lot of improvement on both days, and we had lots of folks knocking on the door.  I'll particularly mention Danny with a 209, Kendall with a 206, and Cat who cleared her evening redcoat.  You all keep dry practicing, come on back, and you'll have it.  A rifle(wo)man persists!

So another one's in the books, and we're looking forward to August.  We sold a lot of Rifleman Opportunity Cards, so we anticipate another full line!

(Pix to follow soon!  If you've got some, post them up!!)

gonejohnny

Congratulations John, Bruce, Mark & Seth!  ^:)^
And Gene... Thanks for picking up that HAT! Way to go!  O0

Nero

Here we go with pix.  Fewer than usual, as I never got a chance to deploy the 2nd camera.

Rifles on the line, instructors and targets await, while shooters get their final briefing.

Mad dogs and instructors stay out under the sun.  Students retreated to the covered area when possible to beat the heat.

Would you believe the whole shoot set up came out of that little Honda Fit?  Pretty much.

A forest of pop-ups

Your preparation period begins now...

Time for the targets to speak

John C. - our first rifleman, and high score of the weekend!

Our posterity, that's what it's about!

Day 2 - role reversal as the orange hats take over.  I sure do wish I'd taken the keys out of my pocket.

Edheler gives American Amazon some pointers on sling topology

Instructors on the line

Ball and dummy time

Rifleman Mark - huzzah!

Rifleman Bruce - huzzah!  (And remember that family challenge!)

Rifleman Seth - huzzah!

And Rifleman Gene requalifies and joins the local crew!  Welcome aboard, we can already tell you'll add character to the gang.   ;D

That's not all, there are more photos in the full album:
https://picasaweb.google.com/114208333789247233986/CastroValley612

trueno1

Gene checking in... Finally figured out how to work this InterWeb thing.... Had a great time shooting, working, and hanging out on both sides of the line..... Thank you all for the fun, support, and stories.  Looking forword for to some safe but CRAZY times ahead  ^:)^  ....

Johnnyappleseed

Quote from: Edheler on June 17, 2012, 07:13:09 PM
I had a great time visiting California as an IIT from Pennsylvania! I am at the airport right now waiting for my flight. I will write up a message while I am on the plane and post it when I get home!

Edit written on my flight:

Courtney, Bruce, Kendall, Simon, Gene, and everyone else at the Castro Valley, California Appleseed I wish I had remembered all of your names, (I am on name overload!)

I know many of you were within range of becoming riflemen or riflewomen, as I write this somewhere over the midwest on my flight home to Pennsylvania, I hope you have already achieved that goal. As I reflect on my time in California I hope all you take another step towards Liberty: I would be honored to call any of you colleagues on the line. If chance doesn't have you find the mark this weekend I am certain that all of you can achieve the "score" in the future. Remember that a rifleman or riflewoman persists!

You might find the challenge of becoming an instructor intimidating. I can't tell you that it is easy. I can tell you that following the hard path is more rewarding than following the easy path. I suspect that you are already aware of that since you attended an Appleseed in the first place. I can also tell you that if you have an open mind and a teachable attitude you will learn more about shooting and becoming an excellent rifleman or riflewoman on the other side of the line than being a shooter. You may have been dragged to an Appleseed by a parent, or a significant other, or you might have found out about us all on your own. I can tell you without equivocation that we need each and every one of you to pass the message of our heritage on to everyone you know.

I will also make each and every one of you a promise: If you become an IIT (Instructor In Training) and then go on to become a Red Hat (full instructor) I will travel out to California, at my own expense, to attend a shoot that you're either going to achieve that goal or have just achieved that goal. (I just need enough notice to get a reasonably priced plane ticket! :) ) I can't really express how much each and every one of you affected me. I have hope for our country as never before. You are the change you looking for in the world and it is up to you to change hope into reality.

I expect each you reach out to your representatives and express your opinion and bend them to your will. The government is ours for better or for worse but without our participation it becomes the purview of our "betters" to provide solutions for us all.

We live in a time where most everything is easy. True challenges are few and far between. However, that leads to a situation where few amongst us know what they are about. Take Lord Percy's quote to heart: "There are men (and women!) amongst them who know well what they are about." Take immediate action in your lives, I doubt that any of you will regret it!

In Liberty,

Edheler

Glad you could make it out here and witness the best California has to offer (appleseeders)
Thank you for a very well written post and 7th step message  O0
Your post reminded me how ,regardless of what state we live in .Appleseed has a goal of unifing us all in liberty .

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge