News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Waco, GA June 9-10

Started by franklinfarmer, June 11, 2012, 10:43:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

franklinfarmer

We had another good shoot with many youth shooters in Waco.  We started off with marksmanship instruction on Saturday learning how to build a stable platform, execute the six steps, and find NPOA.  In between we went over the first strike and had WorM2 give the second strike during lunch.  After lunch we walked through different positions and shot one AQT.  Congratulations to Nathan who stayed after class on Saturday to get his Rifleman Patch. 

In the mean time, Ted was waiting for a replacement key for his vehicle which was lost during the day.  We left him at the range and headed to dinner, and he was gone when we got back, so we're assuming he and Ian made it home safely.  Since we didn't see them on Sunday, an update here would put our minds to rest.

On Sunday we had a review of marksmanship and some rain.  Many thanks to some of our shooters and TravelPatriot for bringing awnings---which can often provide comedy relief through targeted showers in serious storms, but were well able to handle our drizzle.  As porthos put it, they were "clutch."  Excellent one-on-one instruction was provided by TravelPatriot, and porthos presented
stories of dangerous old men and heroic women at lunch after a brief presentation on distance shooting.  After that, one of our youth shooters and a veteran of the April 20 shoot in Waco, Kaitlin, persevered to pick up a coveted purple Yotnottin patch.   There was good progress by the other shooters and at least a couple were knocking on the door with scores in the high 180s and low 200s. 

At the end of the day, we took our zeroed .22s to 100 yards and saw a bit about how group scaling and bullet drop works.  As the showers came back for another visit, the instructors had a chance to send three or four groups down range.

It was a pleasure to work with all the shooters who attended.

Please leave your comments and criticisms on this thread.  It's how we improve.

FF
It is certain, I think, that the best government is the one that governs least. But there is a much-neglected corollary: the best citizen is the one who least needs governing. The answer to big government is not private freedom, but private responsibility.

--Wendell Berry, "The Loss of the Future" in The Long-Legged House  (1969)

The problem is not Democrats.  The problem is Republicans who lack the intellectual clarity to become libertarians and libertarians who lack the physical discipline to become riflemen.  ---Kenneth Royce

Warp

Nathan here. I attended Saturday only. A big Thank You to Franklin Farmer for giving me the opportunity to shoot a second AQT after regulation. (I knew I should have loctited that scope!). Greatly appreciated!

The location took a few minutes to locate. The address given via eventbrite didn't show up on my GPS and I had a hard time finding old fashion direction written out anywhere. There were two different addresses listed, depending on where I looked, one was Waco and the other was Talapoosa. It was confusing (but then I am terrible at finding my way to begin with). I ended up finding directions on the range's website and following them got me to the proper location.

Here is a photo of my AQT. :)

franklinfarmer

Many thanks for the feedback Warp.  I'll get on the task of improving the directions to Waco.

If Kaitlin read the earlier version, please forgive me for getting your name wrong. 

FF
It is certain, I think, that the best government is the one that governs least. But there is a much-neglected corollary: the best citizen is the one who least needs governing. The answer to big government is not private freedom, but private responsibility.

The problem is not Democrats.  The problem is Republicans who lack the intellectual clarity to become libertarians and libertarians who lack the physical discipline to become riflemen.  ---Kenneth Royce

atljw

Jackson here.

I would like to share a most sincere thank you to Franklin Farmer, TravelPatriot, Porthos and Worm2 for sharing their time and expertise.

I brought Jake my 12-year-old son for the weekend.  The experience made even more of a positive impression on him than I'd hoped.  After we'd packed up and were headed back home he offered up a "Dad, that was so much fun.  I'll do that again with you any time you want."  I've also overheard him sharing stories and history with his sister -- the message has made an impact.

--

Though there was rain off-and-on Sunday I don't recall hearing a single complaint from any of the shooters.  Everyone knew there was serious business to take care of and set about accomplishing it.

--

Seconding Warp regarding the directions, here are a couple things I'd noticed.

Some GPS / Maps will show the turn-off on Budapest Cemetery Rd not Landfill Road.

Also, the signage is different depending on your direction of travel.  Heading west from Waco you will see a rectangular black letter / white background sign for the "Haralson County Landfill".  Traveling east from Tallapoosa it's a diamond-shaped white letter /  green background sign simply indicating "Landfill".

In any event, once you find it for Saturday it's easy to find on Sunday.

--

We are already recruiting friends to come with us the next time we're able.

franklinfarmer