News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Rainbow, CA - June 2-3, 2012

Started by Mr Pete, June 03, 2012, 03:45:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Pete

Hey All,

There are truly magical things at the end of the Rainbow.  Nestled in the hills right off the 15 Freeway I found the pot of gold!

We gathered together Americans from all over the area to participate in a uniquely American tradition.  Passing from one free citizen to another free citizen the stories and skills of Liberty and Freedom.  We had with us many first time shooters and many first time Appleseeders...happily I don't think it will be the last time for any of them.

Saturday Redcoats tell a compelling story:

AMPM
Bonus34
Shooters1614

SundayAMPM
Bonus10
Shooters116

Almost a 3 times increase in qualifications!  I congratulate all the shooters in bringing their learning attitude as well as their focus and drive. 

Jon, Ben slogged it out all weekend with an SKS and AR both with great groups!  Amanda was a trooper patently working through everything in spite of being next to those noise makers!  Cal was right on that edge of Rifleman until his back spasmed.  Did he stop or call off on Sunday...no, not a chance.  Besides being a physical test the Appleseed weekend is a mental test and he overcame all obstacles to continue on his journey.

The world feels small but really isn't when you have to drive it!  Fresh off the trail from the last Piru shoot I see IIT kmkahuna and his sweetie Maria at Rainbow only about 150 miles difference between the two locations.  Appleseeders are a dedicated bunch!

Even though Dad Keith couldn't make it Darren and Laurie made it out for the whole weekend...a family who left Dad behind to go out shooting!  Ms Laurie had my respect as well as many of my band-aids.   She struggled with raw elbows, frustrating positions and at the end of the day threw down her rimfire to pick up a 223.  Lesser people would have called it quits or went the easy route.  Ms Laurie was determined to make the most of her time in every way possible.

Hats off to Ms Chelsea and Jessica...both very fine shots.  Even when abandoned by her sister Ms Chelsea continued on and did very well with my M1 Carbine!  After a 3 year absence from shooting Jessica was no slouch and regularly impressed!

Janet, Joshua and JP as well as Ron, Mary Jo, Theresa and Lucy were a treat.  I love community and I was glad to see families doing anything together.  That was one of our nations greatest strengths (families and communities) and was reflected in their actions.

By the same token Kat (our lone Texan and friend of Legacy) Kensley were a joy to have on our line.  Though it may have skipped a generation Kat and Kensley took up the American tradition of marksmanship with enthusiasm and plain hard work.

4 Luther Blanchards on Saturday and 1 on Sunday means that our Posterity was a constant presence while we talked about history.  I can honestly say that one of the most special moments I've ever had was during our final words of Saturday when I talked about our history being lost, a forgotten creed and a future without a past.  The best presentation of the day was Lucy and Joshua who recited the Gettysburg address from memory...I can't tell you the message of hope that was delivered and there were tears in my eyes as was I humbled by their performance.

Stay tuned.  Hopefully I'll be able to post a video that shows that history is not dead to our Posterity. 

-Peter
"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need." – Jerry Gillies

kmkahuna

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
Samuel Adams, September 1722 -- October, 1803

StormN

Mr. Pete, it was truly an honor working with you over the weekend. :bow:
I have no doubt that although this was supposedly your last event to instruct in California that you will be back and I look forward to that time. The Appleseed program here in California has been truly blessed by your dedication to furthering the cause of Liberty. I pray that your move goes well and I know that on the trip to Florida you have your Appleseed family along the way in case you need help. The Appleseed program in Florida will benefit greatly by your presence.
Robert, Thank You for coming up with a way to honor Mr. Pete Sunday afternoon, it was truly a day to remember. To all of the shooters of all ages thanks for coming out and honoring our forefathers memory by taking the path to learn marksmanship and the history behind it and why it was so important. To Lucy and Joshua, as Mr Pete said your presentation brought tears to my eyes as well. Thank You to you both. I hope to see all of you again. Norm
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.
Thomas Jefferson

Psych Doc

This was my first trip to Rainbow, and based on my experience this Sunday, I hope to make many more!  A great group of attentive, dedicated shooters of all ages came out and showed their dedication to improving themselves and reconnecting with our roots. Everyone showed substantial improvement throughout the day. Even with fatigue and soreness setting in on Sunday afternoon they continued to show their mettle with some excellent final Redcoats. Though it is sad to see Pete leave California, what a fine legacy this shoot is for him. The only thing I regret is that I could not be there on Saturday too. I hope to see you all again soon!

All the best,
Robert

Johnnyappleseed

Looks like another really SPECIAL Appleseed  O0
good work at Rainbow  O0
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

cavedog

What can I say that hasn't already been said about this weekend?

Thanks to Mr Pete for his motivation and dedication, which inspired me to come back on Sunday to continue my journey, despite my condition. I'm glad I did go back, for it was an honor to receive my orange hat from such a legend. Mahalo fo da kine ohana fo reals yeah. I think Florida is gaining one of California's finest assets. I'm sure you'll be back and our paths will cross again. Until then, Aloha Nui Loa, warmest regards and see you again soon. 

Also, to Psych Doc who was equally as motivated and dedicated. I too drank from the fire hose. Speaking of fire hose, thanks to all the IITs; Kurt, Norm, and Debby, for being an extension of that fire hose so that every shooter present could drink from it. If I missed anyone, be sure to remind me when next time we meet. You'll be seeing more of me for sure.
"The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission." - John F. Kennedy

Legacy

As is usual, another awesome Rainbow Appleseed! Both new faces & old friends - just one of the many wonderful things about Appleseed events.

This weekend was extra special for me with dear friend Kat & 9 year old daughter Kensley participating. They came out from Texas last August for Appleseed and enjoyed it so much, they came back to do it again! Last August was Kensley's first time shooting and she wasn't real receptive to the idea. We finally got her to pull the trigger on the second day, and that was our big success story for that weekend. It was entirely different this time.

Kensley now has her own rifle and she spent Saturday at home with my husband Ben getting one on one instruction with it... everything from gun safety to lining up the sights - just no shooting. Sunday she was ready to go! Her first 5 shots where an 8" vertical line. By her 3rd set of 5 shots, she had a 2" group! Coachable - Trainable - And, a quick learner. Kensley is well on her way to becoming a Rifle(wo)man and I couldn't be more proud of her!

Glad to see Fallbrook friend Laurie & son Daren at the shoot. Love to hear stories of folks who come to realize the importance of the 2nd Amendment. Hope Keith is feeling better and you guys can make it to the October shoot.

It was an honor and a privilege to work with Mr Pete at his final California Appleseed. California's loss is Florida's gain! And, thanks to Robert for the wonderful 21 Gun Salute tribute to Pete. Well done!

Glad to welcome Kurt to his first IIT experience. No worries on killing the metal plate. And, many thanks for your help in getting the 10-22 sighted. And, it is always fun working with Norm, Zach, Ladd & Cody - all part of our regular Rainbow Appleseed family.

And, many thanks to all the shooters for being such great guests at Rainbow Range.

See you in August....

Debby

p.s. Sure hope a video of Joshua & Lucy's Gettysburg performance shows up...  O0
Remember their sacrifice. Celebrate our liberty. Cherish your freedom.

Legacy

Here's some photos from the weekend...

Legacy

Here's a couple more photos...

Psych Doc

Thanks for the great pix Debbie! :)

Hope to see you again soon!

Robert