News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Columbia Falls, MT June 2 and 3, 2012

Started by Kaiser Leib, June 03, 2012, 02:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaiser Leib

RAIN! I feel new sympathy for the plight of the regulars as they "landed" in that swamp.

Weather brought with it an overall attrition of three quarters. Fully half of this "sold out" 30-slot shoot did not attend at all, probably on account of the downpour. After the morning redcoat and a single sighter square, we took shelter on a shorter firing line with better drainage and commenced to read history. After the third strike, seven of the fifteen remaining shooters departed, leaving 7 hardy souls and 1 shoot boss's friend who sought respite in his dry and comfortable vehicle for the rest of the day.

Those 7 displayed the true virtues of riflemen, persisting despite what all instructors agreed was the most miserable weather we'd encountered at a shoot. Their attention to the instruction showed in their noticeably smaller groups and their enthusiasm for the history.

This placeholder will be followed with a full report some time after the conclusion of Sunday's festivities.
When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.
-Edmund Burke

I would prefer a rope of sand to shackles of iron.

Necee

Wow....wet, muddy, not really a lot of fun on Saturday :(  Have to say how IMPRESSED  I was with the shooters that showed up in the rain and gave it a go and even more with those that stuck it out in hopes it would stop O0   Will write more later- just wanted to get the pictures up  ::)

Necee

and some more pictures from Saturday.....

Mark Davis

We got a little taste of what it might be like over on the "wet side", coastal Washington and Oregon.
You folks are welcome to all the green moss.
The few shooter who stayed were the most determined group of shooters instructors could ask for.
Thanks for comming out and rolling around in the water.
Denise, I saw you're scissors but did not grab them!

Roland

Well, the car has been unpacked and our house is now currently covered in wet things.

I'll upload some pics from Sunday later. I apologize in advance for the quality or lack thereof.

Did we ever decide what we're going to call this? I heard "1st annual Lechmere Point memorial 'seed" at one point...

I second the above. Those seven that stayed through probably the most miserable weather you could ever shoot through displayed the true fortitude necessary to be a rifleman.  Well done all.

Instructors, it's always a pleasure to work with you all. Definitely one of the hardiest groups of ITs as well as shooters. And that is indeed our shoot boss you see lying in the lake to demonstrate prone. In blue jeans, nonetheless.

Personalized recommendations/congratulations follow. Apologies if I messed up your name, and I'll be replying later once I remember the names of a couple I already forgot. Did I mention I'm bad with names?

Unfortunately, I received news as I got home last night that I will be unable to attend the July shoot, due to being at NASA/Ames in California. Hopefully, I'll be there in September though.

Going from left to right as the line appeared on Sunday.

Ivy, you were so close. Three points away from rifleman. Keep practicing, for that is the key. Remember to get low on the trigger.

Steve, excellent job on your re qualification. I look forward to working with you again, possibly from the other side of the line?

Troy: I'm in admiration that you decided to stick with a lever gun through the entire weekend, despite repeated offers of a loaner 10/22.

Toth: You have some potential there. Trigger control and NPOA is what you need to focus on.

Joshua and Matthew: You both did absolutely fantastic.  Again, NPOA is the only thing holding you back from Rifleman.

Ryan: Nice to see an AK on the line. Considering that that particular platform is rather ill-suited to an Appleseed, you did a remarkable job. And, if you pick up a 10/22 like you were talking about, you are a rifleman easy.

David: Glad to see you came out to shoot with us Saturday. Again. practice is key.

Karen: Considering you haven't shot before, you did amazing. I think some natural talent there, no?

And that's all I can remember for now.

Pics to come.

Dirk/Roland
The doorway to freedom is framed by the muskets that stood between a vision of of liberty and absolute anarchy at a place called Concord Bridge--Charlton Heston, 1997

"Be a man of principle. Fight for what you believe in. Keep your word. Live with integrity. Be brave. Believe in something bigger than yourself. Serve your country. Teach. Mentor. Give something back to society. Lead from the front. Conquer your fears. Be a good friend. Be humble and be self-confident. Appreciate your friends and family. Be a leader and not a follower. Be valorous on the field of battle. And take responsibility for your actions. Never forget those that were killed. And never let rest those that killed them." -- Major Douglas Zembiec

Roland

These are pics. Again, of somewhat less then desirable quality. Definitely the fault of the weather and not my lacking picture taking skills.   ::)

Web album is here: https://picasaweb.google.com/newfgoof/20120604As_Cf_6312?authkey=Gv1sRgCJOzkKLfzNOlLQ

If I accidentally took a picture of you and you didn't want your picture taken, let me know and I'll take care of it.

Dirk/Roland
The doorway to freedom is framed by the muskets that stood between a vision of of liberty and absolute anarchy at a place called Concord Bridge--Charlton Heston, 1997

"Be a man of principle. Fight for what you believe in. Keep your word. Live with integrity. Be brave. Believe in something bigger than yourself. Serve your country. Teach. Mentor. Give something back to society. Lead from the front. Conquer your fears. Be a good friend. Be humble and be self-confident. Appreciate your friends and family. Be a leader and not a follower. Be valorous on the field of battle. And take responsibility for your actions. Never forget those that were killed. And never let rest those that killed them." -- Major Douglas Zembiec

Stargazer

Some great photos capturing the challenges and the joys of this particular Appleseed, Necee and Roland.  Those stalwart participants who hung in there through Saturday's Soggy Onslaught were rewarded nicely on a drier and sunnier  Sunday when these photos were taken.  The Picasa web album idea is a good one, Roland, so I have attempted to add my album here with this link (Hope it works!):

https://picasaweb.google.com/crw.stargazer/APPLESEEDCOLFALLSJUNE232012?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCPHhmOvh8Iy1PA&feat=directlink

As an Apple Core (Corps?) volunteer and observer of this event, which presented a myriad of challenges, I would commend the staff of able instructors led by MT Programmer.  Everyone rallied in adverse conditions on Saturday and furthered the course of instruction without missing a beat, although adjustments had to be made due to the weather.  Great teamwork!  Well done!  O0

George Hacker

Quote from: Chris-MT on June 04, 2012, 04:49:34 PM
Some great photos capturing the challenges and the joys of this particular Appleseed, Necee and Roland.  Those stalwart participants who hung in there through Saturday's Soggy Onslaught were rewarded nicely on a drier and sunnier  Sunday when these photos were taken.  The Picasa web album idea is a good one, Roland, so I have attempted to add my album here with this link (Hope it works!):

https://picasaweb.google.com/107156907264591188838/APPLESEEDCOLFALLSJUNE232012

As an Apple Core (Corps?) volunteer and observer of this event, which presented a myriad of challenges, I would commend the staff of able instructors led by MT Programmer.  Everyone rallied in adverse conditions on Saturday and furthered the course of instruction without missing a beat, although adjustments had to be made due to the weather.  Great teamwork!  Well done!  O0
Chris-MT,

I tried to go to the Picasa album and got the following message when I clicked the link:

"Sorry, that page was not found."

Perhaps a typo in the web link (or incomplete)?

Wish I could have been there to meet the shooters and much of the Montana cadre.  Like Mark Davis said, what you experienced this weekend is often the norm out here in Western Washington.  Excellent perseverance on the part of the shooters and instructors at your event. O0

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Stargazer

I updated the link in my post above (#6).  Hopefully, it will work now.

George Hacker

Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Roland

It appears someone ran off with two of our 10/22 mags. So, if you ended up with spares, PM me.

eert

Well, wasn't the First Annual Lechmere Point Memorial Shoot something special?

Thanks to all who stayed through the deluge!  Who would ever guess that floating rifle cases would become a line hazard?  Those who live and play in Big Sky Country are indeed a hearty breed.  My Gore-Tex hat is tipped to you.  It was a privilege to come over from Idaho and help at this shoot. 

All shooters (and instructors too!) displayed amazing attitude through the weather and it was a genuine pleasure to be a part of such a great group.

A few individual notes:

Ivy, so close.  Your targets tell me you have found and trust your NPOA.  A little dry fire practice paying particular attention to that trigger finger placement will put you over the mark.   RELAX....I can tell you have the makings of a "lifetime student of the rifle".  Keep at it.

Steve,  I enjoyed meeting and getting to know you and your great family.  Congrats on the re-qual.  Maybe see you at a KD???

Troy,  you picked up the lessons well.  It's all practice time now.

Toth,  6 steps EVERY shot and find and believe in your NPOA.  Do dry fire carding sights with Troy.   

Seems like the other 5 always had another Instructor present, so I'll let them add tips. 

That Montana Corp is pretty darn awesome too!  Mark and Noah have probably forgot more about marksmanship than I'll ever know!  It's really hard to believe that Lumberjack55 is only an IIT3! 

Noah, please thank your lovely wife for the pizza and afternoon coffee delivery.  I was surely hitting the PM fade when the coffee arrived. 

AC Chris, Necee, and Kat - Thanks for all the positive attitude! It was definitely contagious.

See you on the AS trail. 

EERT, father of Roland.

Poison Ivy

Thank you all for the help this last weekend. Especially Mr. Errt, you were very patient with me. I have been reading and working on my trigger issues. I had a great time in spite of the wet weather and have already signed up for the next C.Falls AS in July. I especially loved the history that was taught. Mtprogramer, Jared, Errt and Roland did such a great job, I could see it all like a movie playing and lost track of time. Roland - Sorry you won't be with us for the July shoot but I hope you have a super trip. Thank you to all of you who traveled so far to invest in those like me. I'm afraid I'm hooked and I'm aiming to earn a purple patch.  Hope to see you all again  - Ivy
Daughter of the amazing Macgyver.
Sister of the awesome T.P.
Lover of pretty and fast cars.

"Remember, remember
The fifth of November
The gunpowder treason and plot.
I know of no reason
Why the gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot."- V

TruTenacity

"Lechmere Point Memorial Shoot"

Nice!

Thanks for posting the pictures, too.  I'll make up a photo album over on the Northwest Region Project Appleseed Facebook page soon.

Just found out the album already exists. 
Go here to view:  https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.404205859623073.90249.163235577053437&type=3
"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9