News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ramseur, NC May 26-28

Started by Lawrence, May 30, 2012, 07:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawrence

Just six years ago, Fred himself, conducted the first Appleseed held in Ramseur, NC. All male, firing largely .30 caliber, Garands, LRB M14SA's, Springfield M1A's, together bringing a small mountain of surplus ammo. He acted upon a simple but ambitious dream to awaken his fellow gun owners and marksmen to their responsibilities. First, to teach and perpetuate the historical gifts of freedom for future generations and second to preserve the unique tradition of American marksmanship.

The progress that has been made in fulfilling his vision was evident and encouraging during this Memorial Day weekend. The dream has been embraced, refined and built upon by an inspiring group of dedicated volunteers across the nation. The "DNA" that Project Appleseed processes is the very imprint of each and every one who contributes to the vision, a tangible dream advancing toward fulfillment under each new generation of instructors and participants.

As you view the photos from this event, you will see complete families, fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, friends and relatives of every combination experiencing the continuing gift that is the living inheritance from our founders. Memorial day was genuinely special for each of us this year. Just six years......

9 Earned the Rifleman patch: Lea, Julia (age 16), Aiden (age 10!), Jonathan, John, Joseph, Dominic, David & Ronnie.

45 Total Appleseeders' (23 their first AS)
18 Men
9  Young Men age 10 to 17
8  Ladies
10 Young Ladies age 8 to 19

Sincere thanks to 7.62 BBQ & Hawkeye for manning the KD line for three days. Regretfully, I did not get any photos from there, so there is no record of how much fun they had with the new "flasher" and steel targets.

Special thanks to those who rotated on the 25 meter line: Sadman, The Beard, Cpl Turner, G19Jenz, adamsod, KARDIAK KID, Goliath, Adena and our new Orange Hat, David. Everyone had a chance to shoot with their family or KD if they wished.

Please post your thoughts and photos.

WhyWon

Fantastic!  I need to win the lottery so I can retire and just do this full-time instead.

Thanks for the inspiring summary!
NRA Patron • GOA Life • SAF Life • MSI Life • VCDL • RWVA
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Ramseur, 2-12 !

Lawrence

BTW, Zoom in on the next to last Rifleman photo. Aiden, age 10, scored a 50 on the standing stage! And no, he was not on a sandbag. Amazing!

Jesse

It was wonderful, guys.  Thanks so much for all the good instruction.  I'm still working on a number of other people to come for one.

taconista

Thank y'all for a great weekend! I did a write-up on the weekend for the Gun Goddess blog. Part of her mission is to encourage women shooters. http://blog.gungoddess.com/2012/first-appleseed-by-katherine-page/

As for another Appleseed? I'll be back!
Katherine

Adena

Thanks for the write-up Katherine, can't wait to see you back on the line.

Memorial Day made for a great weekend of shooting. It was nice to see all of the families participating together. I was extremely impressed with how well the kids listened and followed the line commands.
"Children should be educated and instructed in the principles of freedom." - John Adams

"The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave." - Patrick Henry, Speech in the Virginia Convention, March 23, 1775

MI-copperhead

Quote from: Lawrence on May 30, 2012, 09:16:54 PM
BTW, Zoom in on the next to last Rifleman photo. Aiden, age 10, scored a 50 on the standing stage! And no, he was not on a sandbag. Amazing!

That is an awesome shot group  :bow:
Morgan's Rifleman 250 yard cold bore, 10/29/2022, Tusco Rifle Club, New Philadelphia OH KD/Rifle M1A w optics/Prone
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God ! I know not what course others may choose, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death ! " Patrick Henry
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than to those attending too small a degree of it. "
Thomas Jefferson
"Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." Capt. John Parker
" I have'nt a man who 's afraid to go." Capt Isaac Davis
"I would say that the majority of Americans have no real sense of the value and the uniqueness of being a U.S. citizen.  Once they realize what they have, they are less likely to stand by while some politician attempts to whittle down their rights."  Troy a.k.a. solarguy

PHenry

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Sly223

"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

TN.RM.214

Many thanks to all those who made the 3 day happen.  It was the first appleseed for my two oldest children and it could not be any better!  My 10 yr old Aiden shot higher then I did for my rifleman patch, can't beet that.  My eight year old daughter is shooting at 200m level from never picking up a rifle.  We can't wait to do it again,
The Campbells.

Lawrence

Your eight year old, Keira, was a joy to watch using 7.62BBQ's loaner LTR. The rifle was new to her but she used it safely and skillfully for the whole weekend. By mid morning Saturday, I was amazed to see her handle any malfunction without help. She simply enjoyed the whole event!

The photo I made did not show her beautiful smile but she can be seen shooting the standing stage in her pink camo hat and flip-flops with Sadman in his Red Hat watching.

We all enjoyed meeting you and your 5 children and welcome you back to Ramseur anytime!

Also, you would be a great addition to our Instructor Corps in TN.