News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

KD At Burlington Flats, NY 26 May 2012

Started by sgtrock, May 30, 2012, 11:15:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgtrock

Burlington Flats, Fish and Game Club, NY, 26 MAY 2012

With the cancellation of an event in this area, due to being too close to B-Flats, A decision was made to fill that slot with  a KD Shoot at our club to give something back to the Central NY instructor crew, they are always there to help with our shoots,, so the best thing we could think of was to take them to the KD range for a day,,,

We have 300yds at this club, we use the 400yd reduced target at 300, it is still quite a challenge..
Start time was 0830hrs and everybody was ready to go.
With 8 students there from the level of shoot boss to IIT and one future IIT/previous Appleseeder, I gave the KD class, and we got rounds started down range at 1030hrs,

Rifles on the line were

1 Reconditioned M1 from the CMP, one AR10, and 6 AR15's both 20" and 16" barrels

Zero's were obtained at 25m and then onto KD,

with sighters given at 100yds the students went down range to get target info and do IMC then apply the necessary dope to the rifle and shoot for score, as was continued for each distance,,,

The weather was forecasted to be hot and partly cloudy, the clouds and overcast stayed with us for most of the day, which is good, so shooting conditions were great,,,

Net end result of this shoot, 2 new KD Qualified Instructors, with quickshot (IIT) from the New Jersey Instructor Corps and Odin (Shoot Boss) from the B-Flats, NY Instructor Corps, and 6 that are on the way to being even better instructors with the experience of Known Distance shooting and what it takes.

Some pictures to follow,
Students that were there;

SB Odin
IIT3 vibbit
IIT2 Dude
IIT2 Countryboy243
IIT1 Karis-Wheel
IIT AwesomeAustin
IIT quickshot
and Future IIT/ microred

A word of Thanks to the club for letting us use the range on such short notice for this event, and thanks to the students for help with set up and take down of target lines and equipment.

I will try to put another KD event together before the year is out, I'll check the club calender for an opening, and bring it up at next months meeting,

My sencere hope is that every instructor becomes KD qualified
The more KD shoots we do, the better the chances are that it will become reality.

sgtrock

R1SGx2

Sgt Rock,
You rule,  :bow: :bow:
thank you to all who attended. O0 O0
mark
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

CharlieHotel

Well done, Steve!

I need to come up and visit my favorite ditch...  !@#)

Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah! for all that attended.

CH
"A good plan executed perfectly is better than a perfect plan executed poorly"

"As steel sharpens steel, so one man sharpens another"

"It's not the dope 'ON' the rifle, but the one behind it!" - Unknown PMI, Parris Island, SC 1984

So speak and so act as those who will be judged by the law of Liberty.
For Judgement comes without mercy for those who have shown no mercy, Mercy shall triumph over judgement.
James 2:12-13

Dude

What a great day!

Many thanks to Sgt Rock and Odin. O0

Simply have to keep going for that KD rifleman score with open sights. For Karis and I with our nearsightedness, our first shoot was so poor, we both went to scopes and that's all we've used since.

THIS day increased my skill levels and confidence to the point that I know I can attain that KD rifleman someday. It may take a couple more tries, but, without this Saturday, I probably would never even try it.

Not only that, but I gained some significant ground in an area that I will be teaching someday soon.

Again, many thanks for the efforts, guys!
Strength and honor

Semper SOM/SOM

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state. --Thomas Jefferson

Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty. --Thomas Jefferson

LittleMo

Thank you, Steve! O0

And thank you to Burlington Flats Fish and Game Club! :bow:

Gary
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional!  :)

Marksmanship can be taught and learned,
but the motivation has to be inspired for the
people to become involved.
How many have you inspired that became involved?

http://www.facebook.com/NYSAppleseed
http://www.facebook.com/ProjectAppleseedVermont

sgtrock

Thanks Folks

My long range planning for these events are to get more target backers built just for Appleseed events, and increase the number of shooters on the KD line here at B-Flats, we may have only 300yds to deal with, but you get the point, look at it as a warm up for longer ranges like Lewistown, PA, 500 & 1000yds or up north at New Bremen, NY, they have 400yds up there. Nevertheless it is worth the time and effort to set these up, sure beats sitting on the couch. There is talk, (talk mind you), to see if it would be feasible to cut a 400yd point into the hill side, with I would hope, a 4 position berm at least. The hill is big enough to do this, but there are safety factors and cost analysis to concider, with not a lot of cash on hand for such a project, this may stay in the talk phase for awhile, we'll keep on looking at different avenues of approach.

KD is a critical component that we as instructors should be very familiar with and be able to do in order to teach, after all, the students look to us as the subject matter experts when they are with us at our events. Not only that, if you are asked the question of what your score was when you shot it, you will have an answer for them, it does come up every so often, its good to be honest with your students, that is what gets more people to your shoots, they want what you have as well, proficiency with a rifle,,,

sgtrock

The Mrs.

Great job Steve and the Central NY crew.  Wonderful thinking out of the box, and then making it happen!!
Think with love and truth
See with love and truth
Speak with love and truth
Hear with love and truth
And come from the heart, with love, and truth, and honor.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. ~ Margaret Mead  US anthropologist

Odin

A day on the range with outstanding people, couldn't ask for better.  It was odd though, I kept expecting a sudden monsoon to pop up since both Sgtrock and I were on the range, but nothing happened.  A little disappointed in that.

The instruction was top notch as always, and it was great to finally shoot an AQT again.

I have to agree with Sgtrock, it is important for instructors to shoot and qualify for Known distance.  While most of our instruction during Appleseeds is at 25 yards, we are teaching our students to hit targets out to 500 yards.  It adds a lot of credibility to be able to use personal experience to tell the students that the method we teach do actually work at known distances.

Besides, while shooting 22 rim fire at 25 yards is enjoyable, shooting center fires at KD is just a lot of fun.
Deluce Bellum Inexpertis (sweet is war to those who have never experienced it) - Roman Proverb

"Of his knowledge a man should never boast, but be sparing in his speech.  When to his house a wiser man comes, seldom do the silent make mistakes" - Havamal

"To ask well and answer rightly are the marks of a wise man" - Havamal

microred

All I can say is it was a fantastic day from beginning to end!  Fantastic Instructor, who has so much passion for what he teaches and truly believes in our Heritage.  Thank you so much Sgt Rock, you have made such an impact on my life with what you have taught me so far!!  And I am ready to learn all I can.  You have inspired me and have been a huge contributing factor to me wanting to be an Instructor some day.  Everyone needs to experience a day on the range with Sgt. Rock. 

Great group of people to learn and share the day with, both familiar faces and new ones.  It's really something to spend the day with a group that all shares the same passion. 

I learned a lot!  Biggest thing I learned was not to mess with your rifle the day before the shoot.  It messed me up and I will not let that happen again.  Lesson learned, I will not second guess myself.  I didn't shoot nearly as well as I was hoping to, but it will take practice and I won't stop.  Really enjoyed the KD shoot and looking forward to the next one.

Also, thank you Sgt. Rock and Odin for breaking your lucky streak...no rain!!  We made it all the way through and not a drop.  These two are a fantastic team!! :bow:

Mph_VT

Stuck inside of Cherokee with the Burlington Flats (05.11 sergeant) blues again.

HooAh!  I seem to be in the wrong place at the right time a lot.

Good work BF.

I've ordered my RRA National Match, hope to be there next time.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it.

Learned Hand

Sir, the gods of the valley are not the gods of the hills, and you shall understand it.             

Ethan Allen

sgtrock

I'll save a spot on the line for you Alan,,

There will be another KD shoot here before the year is out, maybe 2,, that's in addition to what we always do on most weekends around here.

sgtrock

deleted picture links, couldn't get them to work. oh well, I guess the best way to see KD at B-Flats is to come here.