News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Winterset, IA May 19-20

Started by Alex, May 29, 2012, 07:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

May 19-20
Winterset, IA
Madison County Sportsman's Club

We had another great Appleseed weekend down at the Madison County Sportsman's Club in Winterset, IA. The range was all set up when I arrived on Saturday morning thanks to Ben and Mike. All but one of the registered shooters made it, but we had the right amount when we added one walk on. We were on the line and firing the first red coat target of the weekend by 9:30. Square targets and a healthy dose of rifle instruction and the groups began to improve. At lunch I told the first strike then back out to the firing line. Miller gave us a great second strike before we fired our first QD-AQT. It was very impressive for his first attempt at telling a strike. We got a couple QD-AQTs in on Saturday before the conclusion of our story and some seventh stepping. The last red coat showed a lot of improvement. Thankfully even though it threatened all day long it never rained.

On Sunday morning I was running a little behind getting to the range but I arrived right as they finished the safety briefing. It is nice to have IITs you can trust and depend on. Some quick review and then some NPOA got us ready for the AQT Grind. Brad became the first Rifleman of the weekend, and will be joining the Instructor Corps here in Iowa. He will be a welcome addition. The Dangerous Old Men stories were well told by Mike and Ben during lunch. Soon we were back to QD-AQT after QD-AQT. Shea joined the ranks of Riflemen that afternoon, but sounded interested in attending another Appleseed. The two Riflemen and I had a healthy competition while running some Rapid Fire and normal QD-AQTs. By mid afternoon people had to leave for other functions, so we said our goodbyes and those who wanted to continue to shoot kept on going. We finished the day around four.

I seem to always leave Appleseeds feeling a little better about the world and our future. I know it is the high quality of people and attitudes that I find at Appleseeds all across the upper Mid West, and this group was no different. Thank you to everyone who came out this weekend. Thank you Madison County Sportsman's Club for continuing to be a helpful, accommodating, and well set up facility for us to use. Thank you to the IITs who were there and make my job as Shoot Boss so much easier. See you all on the Appleseed Trail.

Alex
Intellect is invisible to the man who has none.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine

colycat

Man, I gotta get out there sometime this summer.  Good job with this Alex.
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Miller

You are one sneaky bugger with that smart phone camera Alex.
Fearful but resolute.

Alex

Ben,
I thought you were just trying to have your good side to the camera  ;D
Arthur Schopenhauer

Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine

Miller

Pffffftttttt......
I don't have a bad side so it'd be wasted effort.
Fearful but resolute.

loves2hunt59

But you still have that winning smile  **)

Miller

Fearful but resolute.

Alex

Hey now, Vic is a married man. Plus I suspect he could do better than you Ben  :))
Arthur Schopenhauer

Thomas Paine

Miller

Well this thread has gone down hill in a hurry...
Fearful but resolute.

loves2hunt59

Yeah way downhill. My bad.  It's just that I heard 'somewhere' that you're the one who taught the puppy to smile like that.  >:D
Now can we please get back to discussing the Winterset AS?