News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Bunnell, FL May 19-20, 2012

Started by 9mm4545, May 21, 2012, 10:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9mm4545

Bunnell May 19-20, 2012

It was a small shoot but the students were top notch and we had a great instructor to student ratio. This was the first time on the new walled 50 yard rifle range and it seemed to work well. Our marksmanship showed rapid and dramatic improvement and we were actually ahead of schedule most of the weekend. While there were no new Riflemen revealed, everyone did improve and by the end of the event we had vast improvement all around.

The wind on Saturday made our shooting a bit more interesting as just standing up was wobbly, much less while holding a rifle. This was also the first time I have ever felt compelled to add more tie-downs to our canopies.

Because of the small shoot and lots of instructors, we put instructors on the line from time to time and allowed a little trigger time to maintain sharpness. It was a tough call as to which was the more drool worthy rifle: Alkeford's beautiful National Match M1A or FLawyer's pristine M1 Garand in .308. I can attest that they both are tack drivers and I would be proud to own either one.

Josh, a bit of dry firing and some more time working on transitions and the coveted Patch will be yours. You are really doing well and I expect it won't be long until you can call yourself a Rifleman. Terrie, kudos to you for hanging in there and giving us a great teachable attitude. I believe that a bit of tweaking to your rifle will help you get a better sight alignment. Time on the living room floor with your unloaded rifle will make those uncomfortable positions much more tolerable (and stable). Ed and John, I am really pleased that some of our club members came out and participated in Appleseed. Both of you have a great deal of natural talent and it was great to be able to see you improve your marksmanship. I look forward to having both of you at the next 'Seed in Bunnell. Thank you Katherine for letting Speed Bump come out and play. Your position and trigger work look great so I suspect that more work on NPOA and calling the shot is what is lacking. You are getting there!  I really enjoyed having you on the line, Terry. I hope you had as much fun getting taught as I had teaching you. You know the drill: dry fire, followed by more dry fire as you bend the reluctant body into a nice stable shooting machine.

Note the shiny new Red Hat being proudly worn by our newest Red Hat in Florida! Congratulations to FLawyer! Nice work, sir!

The photos were supplied by Katherine and Speed Bump. If there are others, feel free to share them here.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

alkeford

I just wanted to say that it was an honer to be a part of AS this weekend.The students showed vast improvement.now that being said,fingers loose,elbow under the rifle,knee up,Quit dragging wood,quit dancing trigger ~~:) and remember practice doesn't make perfect-perfect practice makes perfect
Esse Quam Videri (To be rather than seem to be)
Powder With My Brother Ball Most Hero Like Doth Conquer All,
Tomet Nosce
The Suda, a tenth century encyclopedia of Greek Knowledge, says: "the proverb is applied to those whose boasts exceed what they are,"and that "know thyself" is a warning to pay no attention to the opinion of the multitude.

Prof. C.J.

I had a wonderful experience at this shoot.  The students were a great bunch of folks, and I want to give special thanks to the Instructors and the more experienced IIT's who were there for being helpful & patient with a rookie IIT (me)!

I look forward to hopefully seeing many of the same folks again at St. Aug in a few weeks.
"I believe that it is better to tell the truth than to lie. I believe
that it is better to be free than to be a slave. And I believe that
it is better to know than to be ignorant." – H.L. Mencken