News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR - Piru, CA - May 19th & 20th, 2012

Started by gonejohnny, May 21, 2012, 03:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gonejohnny

Another fine spring weekend in the best state we've got in the nation! Over the course of two days, 18 wide-awake Americans came out to learn about and celebrate the Marksmanship and History that is unique to our great nation!

Joining instructors Dano, MrPete, Justin & Cowgirl Ducky & myself, sweat was wrung, personal lessons were uncovered, tears were shed & lead was slung downrange... This weekend saw the accomplishments of SIX NEW RIFLEMEN and three very brave individuals stepped up to don bright new shiny ORANGE HATS as they begin the journey of becoming APPLESEED INSTRUCTORS!

Saturday saw shooter kmkahuna bang out a RM score of 211 on the anvil of the AQT! In the dirt right next to his girlfriend and her daughter, Kurt was a true inspiration! A veteran of the Piru "mud bowl"  a couple of months back, Kurt's got the bug and looks fine in his bright new shiny ORANGE HAT!  O0

Ray revealed his long awaited score on his 6th Appleseed Sunday. He'd actually joked with MrPete earlier in the morning on Sunday that would try for a 210 just to reward us all for working with him on his long path! True to his word, the water of the North Bridge seemed to have a little extra ice in it just before his presentation! I sure hope those pictures came out good (and dry!) Fortunately for Ray, he was quickly able to dry off after promptly swiping up an Orange Hat! But not until after reconfirming his qualifying score with an additional AQT for a score of 220 (something). WAY TO GO RAY! AND THANKS FOR PICKING UP THE HAT!  O0

Not to be outdone, shooter MR B also managed a qualifying score of exactly 210 as well... water flowed... but he just had to try it one more time and managed a very nice 214! With us since winter, Brian is an Appleseeder of the finest variety - 7th stepping at every turn and bringing new shooters with him as he continued to trudge his way along the trail. He too stepped right to the plate after a re-confirmation and promptly grabbed a hat as well! WELCOME! WE'RE ALL VERY GRATEFUL FOR YOUR EFFORTS! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!  O0

Sunday also saw RM scores by shooters DogpawSlim, Leonardo and 12-yr old Lili (kmkahuna's girlfriend's daughter!)  ..:..  :---

Beyond mentioning the great accomplishments of our new Riflemen, all the shooters this weekend showed tremendous improvement. Each of them showed they all have the heart of a Rifleman! The only things standing between them and a qualifying score is some time dry-practicing and the knowledge in the instruction to sink in just a little more. Persistence is the key!

REDCOAT SCORES

Saturday Morning.....
• 400 - 2
• 300 - 0
• 200 - 0
• 100 - 3
• Bonus - 1
• Bayoneted - 7
Saturday Afternoon
• 400 - 1
• 300 - 1
• 200 - 3
• 100 - 3
• Bonus - 3
• Bayoneted - 4

Sunday Morning.....
• 400 - 3
• 300 - 2
• 200 - 5
• 100 - 0
• Bonus - 3
• Bayoneted - 3
Sunday Afternoon
• 400 - 4
• 300 - 2
• 200 - 3
• 100 - 3
• Bonus - 3
• Bayoneted - 1

Art brought out his kid's Megan and Blair (who is on 2-weeks leave from being stationed in Hawaii - Thank you for your service!). Father and son team Paul and PJ brought the noisy end of the line with the two of them banging out AQT's with a mini-14, sending brass almost as far away as the targets! Father / Daughter team Kevin and Mikala showed exceptional patience and improvement that was obvious to everyone!  David could only make it on Saturday, but promised to come back for more soon! We hope to see all of you on the lines again very soon!

Until next time,
Rock & Roll,
GoneJohnny

kmkahuna

I just have the 19th loaded up right now, but will add the 20th tonight.
Thanks again to Dano, Johnny and all the other instructors. Fantastic weekend!

http://s1142.photobucket.com/albums/n606/kmkahuna/Piru%20Appleseed%20May%202012/

Also: I've taken the liberty to post my "newbie" thoughts about this entire experience here. If the after action report isn't the place for this, let me know, and I'll put it where it's appropriate.

Before I begin, I just want to say thank you to one very important person:
To CPT Jack Dailey, U.S.A. (ret): thanks for the initiative and courage it took to start Appleseed. It's working, and is living testament to the power and impact of one man, and one idea.

WHAT THAT PATCH MEANS TO ME
Kurt Kohanowich
San Diego CA.

"Honor never grows old, and honor rejoices the heart of age. It does so because honor is, finally, about defending those noble and worthy things that deserve defending, even if it comes at a high cost. In our time, that may mean social disapproval, public scorn, hardship, persecution, or as always, even death itself. The question remains: What is worth defending? What is worth dying for? What is worth living for?"
- William J. Bennett
  In a lecture to the United States Naval Academy
  November 24, 1997

These very thought provoking, contemplative questions have been around since the very beginnings of mankind itself.  The evolution of defense, from brutal survival to the modern ideals of liberty and freedom, has been long and varied, to be sure. But this is an Appleseed Forum, and the context of these questions was easily narrowed down for me when I decided to write this article to try and impart to others what the idea of "Rifleman" means to me. 
As of last Saturday, I am a proud owner of the Rifleman's badge, and like all the worthy accomplishments in my life, I understand it is simply a "license to learn": the real work always begins once the adrenaline is gone, the goal is attained, and the future awaits a new goal to fill the hole that is there now. The fabric and thread of that patch is a symbol designed to impart an idea much greater than 40 holes in a target. I hope my forum addition to the other "Newbie" entries describing their feelings about attaining that patch gives the reader a clear picture of just how important that idea is to me.

The physical act of firing a rifle is the foundation of the word "Rifleman". Safely handing any firearm, The 6 steps of firing a shot, contorting into, and one day comfortably attaining proper body position, and the experience of practicing these fundamentals are the physical reminders of this idea. Without them, I would only have the intellectual curiosity of competence, a face in the crowd watching Roosevelt's "Man in the arena", pontificating on what I would do if I was in the ring. 
But those physical skills of shooting do not describe the true meaning of the word. In the aviation world, we describe the physical act of guiding an aircraft as "monkey skills", i.e. you can teach a monkey to set the throttle, keep the plane level, etc, etc. What you can't teach him is the skill of thinking while you fly. Many of us could attain unbelievable skills; dime-size grouping, long distance shots, and other amazing feats of skill with a rifle. But without knowing the meaning behind such a skill, the reason for having it is left to chance, or the individual.

I think that the mental skills of shooting also are not enough to know what "Rifleman" really means. The mental toughness of defeating adversity on the range or in the field, the courage to overcome hardships to attain a goal, the situational awareness of your surroundings, attaining the "Rifleman's bubble", computing and estimating range, elevation and windage adjustments, these are all critical to becoming a consistent effective shooter. Just like the physical skills, they require practice, study, and application; without them I have no hope of becoming a true expert.

But once these things began to sink in, and those physical and mental skills began to become evident to me after several thousand rounds were downrange, I realized that without any sort of context, these skills I am learning are completely amoral: one could attain an incredible deadly skill with complete indifference to their use.  What is the point of being able to hit a milk jug out to 200 yards? Why is it important?  The sociopaths of our world are just as capable of attaining these skills as I am: what makes us different?

Well, it's an idea, isn't it?
Using the context of liberty and freedom, gifts that were given to all Americans through the effort and sacrifice of men and women long dead, one man named Jack Dailey founded the Appleseed project in 2005 to remind Americans of their legacy. Using one day in history, just one day: April 19th, 1775, this program gives context and meaning to the skills: Defense of your home, defense against tyranny, and the beginning of the greatest experiment in self government the world has ever seen.  To understand what Rifleman means, you must believe that the United States of America is exceptional. Things start to become much clearer if this becomes true for you in your heart and mind.

As a retired military officer, the meaning of Rifleman has always been defined quite succinctly for me and others who have served in the Armed Forces:  If pressed, Riflemen must use the skills they've learned to defend the Constitution of the United States of America, against all enemies, foreign and domestic. Taking on this burden is not for everyone; it is why we have a volunteer military in this country, and sadly cannot be expected of all citizens in our country. The privilege and the hardship of this choice are left to the ones who seek it out in the United States, who make a conscious decision to defend the idea of liberty.

This spirit is best captured by retired army Ranger and psychologist Lieutenant Colonel Dave Grossman, in his article entitled "On Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs".  In it, he uses this analogy to compare those in society who are evil (the Wolves), those who recognize and choose to fight evil (the Sheepdogs), and those who choose the most dangerous path: those who deny evil (the Sheep).   
The paragraph in this tale that most defines what I consider the role of America's "Rifleman" is when LCOL Grossman sums up what each of these characters mean:

"If you have no capacity for violence then you are a healthy productive citizen, a sheep. If you have a capacity for violence and no empathy for your fellow citizens, then you have defined an aggressive sociopath, a wolf. But what if you have a capacity for violence, and a deep love for your fellow citizens? What do you have then?  A sheepdog, a warrior: Someone who is walking the hero's path. Someone who can walk into the heart of darkness, into the universal human phobia, and walk out unscathed"
http://www.killology.com/sheep_dog.htm

Walking the hero's path? Heart of Darkness?  Heady stuff, isn't it?  Do you think it might apply to you at all, in this day, in this time? Ask yourself if you'd be comfortable calling yourself part of a militia.  Not a good feeling, is it? Have you ever wondered why?  Why is the basic unit of an armed organization of citizens an evil sounding word these days?  If you explore that question, you'll start to understand just how important being a Rifleman is in our time. But whatever word is used to describe it, or however you feel about the word militia, the badge of Rifleman means you have joined one. No matter how it is organized, or even organized at all, the very fact that hundreds of thousands of Americans are armed, capable, and trained to use deadly force is the very reason for freedom in this country, and in this world.  Nowhere else on the planet have so many armed citizens existed peacefully.
Nowhere. 
And never in all of recorded history, by the way.
Once you begin to understand this, you will start to understand why RVWA instructors get choked up when they talk about the events of 19 April, 1775.  You will begin to see the long, unbroken line of men and women spanning these last 237 years. You will realize that millions of Americans before you understood that it took courage to be a citizen of this country; that you are part of something much bigger than yourself. You will begin to see the ghosts of so many who have come before you, whispering to you to remember, to not forget what they fought for: "Of many, one". 
That day, along the road from Boston to Concord, English citizens became Americans. In one day.  Put yourself in their shoes. Find yourself behind a tree, or running along a stream to find a better shooting position. Imagine the fear and the resolve needed to fight that fear.  Thousands of professional English soldiers. The weight of the Crown bearing down on the entire civilized world at the time....  and 14,000 of you decided that enough was enough; you were going to do something about it.
To me, this is the Rifleman's legacy.  I hope I can do justice to that legacy not only as a shooter, but as a citizen.
See you on the range, thanks for reading.
K
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
Samuel Adams, September 1722 -- October, 1803

kmkahuna

All pictures are up now, for 19th and 20th of May:
http://s1142.photobucket.com/albums/n606/kmkahuna/Piru%20Appleseed%20May%202012/

One of my favorites... You're looking like Rodin's "Thinker", Johnny!
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
Samuel Adams, September 1722 -- October, 1803

Johnnyappleseed

Wonderful post Kurt  O0
I sure enjoyed reading it and an looking forward to seeing you on the trail.

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Jerry Hall

"The significant problems we face today cannot be solved with the same level of thinking that we were at when we created them. Albert Einstein."

"One Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Camljr

Kurt,

I can see that you "get it!"

I am humbled by your eloquent post....

Bravo, sir...... Bravo..... O0

I look forward to working a shoot with you as an IIT.    ~~:)

Camljr

96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

WSMR Instructor 03/10  -  SAPPER STEEL!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

Mr Pete

Congrats to all the shooters.  You are the reason I Appleseed.  I donate my time to you in the hopes that you'll do something with it.  Teach a friend, be a better person use your talents and skills to make the world a better place.  I have more hope for the world because I met you.

Highlights for me:
Ms Megan ringing steel 4 out of 5 times just picking up that M1 Carbine.  The fundamentals apply at all times with all rifles.  It impressed me so much I just posted that story in a Calguns thread.  We make history every day.

Ms Lilly.  When I congratulated her on some fine shooting  she sheepishly said, "I shot off a bipod."  There are many adults that can't do what she did even with a bipod.  Celebrate your successes.

Patches and hats long overdue:  Ray and Brian...enough said.

I thank everybody (students and instructors) for a wonderful time with new friends and those I consider family. 

Happy trails,
-Peter
"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need." – Jerry Gillies

OzzyDalton

Thanks to all the instructors for a great weekend. Pj and I learned alot from everyone including Ray who was not an instructor yet, but took time out to talk to us and give some pointers.  Thanks to Pete for letting me shoot his M1 Garrand, I gotta get me one of those.  We will be out again for sure, working for that score. 

Thanks,
Paul

Scott1600

Wow.  Just wow. 
Proud of you all.  Great job everybody!
O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0
"Objects of the most stupendous magnitude, and measure in which the lives and liberties of millions yet unborn are intimately interested, are now before us. We are in the very midst of a revolution the most complete, unexpected and remarkable of any in the history of nations." -John Adams, July 3, 1776.

Psych Doc

Looks like another great weekend at Piru!
Well done to all!  O0
I enjoyed the post Kurt, I hope we cross paths on the trail!

All the best,
Robert

DogpawSlim

Thank you shooters and instructors for another great weekend (or Sunday, in my case).  Specifically, thanks Ray for pointing out my group location issues (which pushed my scores up considerably); Mr. Pete for being so generous with your guns, ammo, and time; Johnny for pointing out the inadequacy of my .308 game  :-[; Justin, for your bolt action instruction and "reminder"; and, most importantly, Brian, Kurt, and Ray for your dedication to the program as evidenced by taking orange hats.

I hope to see you all again soon.

MR B (549)

"Energy and persistence conquer all things " - Ben Franklin

Thanks to everyone for another fine weekend and big congrats to those who scored rifleman . I have learned so much about the fine art of marksmanship from attending Appleseed and of course in learning a new skill we are reminded about how we are as people . I'd like to thank MR Pete , Dano , Scott1600  and of course  Gone Johnny for making it so easy for me  to come back time and time again ,helping me  to persist and  grow as a rifleman . This patch is a dream come true for me and a symbol of hard work and persistence . However upon learning more  about the deeds of our founders , this patch is also a symbol to honor their existence and to pay homage to their sacrifices , being ever reminded that like  marksmanship skills , Liberty when not exercised regularly ,can also be a perishable endeavor . Thus I feel obliged to don an orange hat and give back to this fine community .

Thanks also to Justin for the chats about life in the Corps . Thank you for your service .
I'm sure that i'll be seeing you all soon enough  ;D
In a time of universal deceit,
telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
George Orwell

Foppish Dandy

OH MAN! If I wasn't bummed about missing this weekend before, I am for sure now...
HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to Kurt, Brian and Ray... I wish I could've been there to see it!
Foppish Dandy, Mr. Dandy, Señor Dandy, Capt'n Dandy

Please take a moment to visit and "Like" the Southern California Project Appleseed Facebook Page.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin (Notes for a proposition at the Pennsylvania Assembly, 1775)

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"
- Samuel Adams (Speech, State House of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, August 1, 1776)

Mr Pete

Sam, I wish you were there...It was a one for the ages. 

DogpawSlim...how comfortable did we feel with you?  Comfortable enough for an after-hours shoot.  I WANT you to destroy that AQT as you said in your first post.  Dry practice, day and night and become a person of purpose.  I wish I could be there at your next go-round...as it is I'll have to wait for the AARs.

MR B...you know...don't worry about us.  Do yourself proud as you already have and I know our efforts will not have been in vain.

It may sound trite, but I can't think of a better way to spend my weekend.  I truly can't.  My wife and daughter hang on my descriptions.  My daughter (age 6) always wants to go shooting and camping with me.  Both of them see the enthusiasm, energy and excitement a weekend generates and they find that I am a better father and husband because of it.  I am that way because of the people I meet.

-Peter
"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need." – Jerry Gillies

gonejohnny

Scott1600

"Objects of the most stupendous magnitude, and measure in which the lives and liberties of millions yet unborn are intimately interested, are now before us. We are in the very midst of a revolution the most complete, unexpected and remarkable of any in the history of nations." -John Adams, July 3, 1776.

Dano

Wow!! What a weekend it is great to be back!!

Dano
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

'No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.'- Ronald Reagan

Johnnyappleseed

Congraulaions Ray and WELCOME aboard Sir O0
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

dragonfly

Well done  :)  looks like a great time at Piru  O0

D-fly  Keeping the Faith
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.