News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, May 12-13, 2012 AAR

Started by Reformed Redneck, May 15, 2012, 10:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reformed Redneck

To all,

We had a very good shoot in Coeur d'Alene this past weekend. Both days were as about as it gets for shooting, though a bit warm in the afternoons. Spring has finally arrived in northern Idaho.

We had a great bunch of shooters, with excellent attitudes and ready to learn. We had a total of 24 aspiring Riflemen over the two days. Ultimately, we had four new Riflemen! Congratulations to Brad, Patrick, Beth, and Jim. It was great seeing you all master the AQT. We also had three repeat Riflemen, Diane, Rihanna, and Monty. All did a fine job.

The folks at Fernan Rod and Gun Club are a great bunch of people to work with, and the range is in one of the most scenic areas of the state.

Thanks go out the the instructor staff, who really did a fine job at making this a successful event.

I'm sure there are photos and comments that others would like to make, so have at it.

Best regards,
Reformed Redneck

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the chains.

"...Of Zebulon, such as went forth to battle, expert in war, with all instruments of war...which could keep rank: they were not of double heart..."

Brother_COM

Evenstar

Thanks to the Fernan Rod & Gun Club for hosting another Appleseed event; it was a great weekend.

Several familiar faces on the line this past Mother's Day weekend, and multiple new ones. A big thank you to all for sharing the weekend with us at the range to hear about your Heritage and learn more about rifle marksmanship. I look forward to seeing you all on the line again soon.

Two of our Young Marines from last month were back for some more, and this time, dad got to shoot! O0 Keep up the practice, guys! Also, I'd like to thank you for your impeccable politeness. I know I appreciated it.

Jane, I'm looking forward to seeing you at the Ladyseed in October! Do some dry-practice between now and then, and you'll see even more improvement.

Beth, thank you for your open and teachable attitude. I was thrilled when I scored your target on Sunday; congrats on that rifleman patch! ^:)^

Eric, Jim, Micheal, Monty, good to see you all back on the line again. Congratulations, Jim, on your first Rifleman score, and Monty on the repeat!

Rhianna and Diane, congratulations on re-qualifying. It's always a blast having you gals with us, and your menfolk too! Birch just needs to relax a bit, and he'll have that patch.

Madison... you were my little hero this weekend. I believe you have some genuine skill when it comes to marksmanship. Madison is 9, and she started off the weekend by making the Morgan's Rifleman shot on BOTH of Saturday's redcoat targets. The smaller the targets, the harder she focused on hitting them. While the others were shooting the second AQT on Saturday, I gave her a star target (with a few other hand-drawn stars and diamonds) to shoot at, and she did great! On Sunday, for a little fun during an AQT, she got to shoot some peppermints, two of which she pegged on the FIRST shot. ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ In the afternoon she went through some AQTs with the safest transitions I've seen from someone her age and size, and ended up with a high score of 129, I believe. Oh, did I mention she was working a bolty? Yep, you were awesome, girl, and I hope to see you back again! :cool2:

Instructors, it's always great working with you all. TruT, thanks for the new history segments you told on Sunday. I especially liked Elizabeth Zane's story.

Quote from: Brother_COM on May 16, 2012, 12:55:43 AM
:pics:
We want pics! We want pics!

Pictures coming soon... quite a few actually. ^-^ By the way, if you see random butterflies in the pictures, you've been warned. It's Spring in Idaho! ;)
'Pictures... or it didn't happen!' &)

"What we do in life echoes in eternity.

"All we must decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

"She is worth the wait. When she lifts her head - she smiles!" - Earl

"Warriors are not always the fastest or strongest men. Strength and speed can be developed through training. Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or holds sacred."

Arwen, Shorty, Blondy, Star, Trouble, Smiley, Miss Jess Adair, Starry, Kitten, Blue Eyes, Even Shorter, Elfy, Butterfly Girl, Tater Jr., Princess Tater, Tater Tot, Tiny Tater, Twinkletoes, Skippy

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11
Medical Lake, WA - July 31, 2011

Evenstar

Since no one else has chimed in yet, guess I'll post up some pictures. Enjoy!

Ready to go on Saturday morning

Instruction for the first redcoat target of the weekend

Roland and Still Learnin explain the prone position

We had some great groups downrange on the first sighter square!

Rizzin teaches the group about the Six Steps

Making sling adjustments

eert instructs and cedarpole demos NPOA

Rhianna is the calmest shooter I've ever seen and is a pretty darn good shot too. ;)

Jeremiah works on prone

Two Young Marines and dad

Kelly was new to shooting, and improved a lot over the course of Saturday. Sorry you weren't able to make it back on Sunday!

There's Madison!

Time for lunch and history - cedarpole kicks it off with the 1st Strike

Listening

The cool end of the line with Monty and Eric ;D

And some artsy shots...

More on-the-line instruction

Time for carding the sights!

;D

Evenstar and Madison

"Does this one count?"

Scoring targets

Repeat Rifleman Rhianna!

Repeat Rifleman Monty!

Sunday pictures coming soon...

"Warriors are not always the fastest or strongest men. Strength and speed can be developed through training. Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or holds sacred."

Arwen, Shorty, Blondy, Star, Trouble, Smiley, Miss Jess Adair, Starry, Kitten, Blue Eyes, Even Shorter, Elfy, Butterfly Girl, Tater Jr., Princess Tater, Tater Tot, Tiny Tater, Twinkletoes, Skippy

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11

Evenstar

And from Sunday...

Rizzin shows the group his replica musket

Eric listening

Roland in his straight jacket ;D

Day 2, Madison has a scope

Birch works on seated position

Michael and Jim made it Sunday

Working the line (the brass blockers were great, but I think they need to be shorter next time so the instructors can see the line better)

Ahem... butterfly on a sling... ;)

It ain't pretty, but it works!

Someone was taking notes

Madison's peppermint targets

Bruce

Patrick

Butterfly on Roland's rifle

Matt works on prone

Beth!

KD targets are set up and ready to go!

TruT gets to shoot for Mother's Day. No mono-poding there; it's a short mag. Plus, the instructors wouldn't let her get away with it if she were. ;)

Daniel got to shoot some KD

Meet Patrick. He likes to get to the KD targets the hard way. **)

And he's a RIFLEMAN at last!!! He is the definition of persistence, continuing to come back throughout the past couple years until he scored that patch. HUZZAH!!!! ^:)^

Jim is a new Rifleman!

Congrats on the repeat score, Diane!

Way to go, Beth!

And here they are, our new and repeat Riflemen, minus Brad! Congratulations all! Come on back, and bring a few friends!

These were our awesome youth with their youth patches

And me and Madison :)

A shot of the instructor cadre

That's it from me. Thanks again to the attendees who made the event a success. We'll see you on the Trail.

ES

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11

Pro Libertate

Saturday was my first Appleseed event, and I had a blast!  I'm hooked!

The recounting of our great nation's struggle for freedom -and more importantly, the manner in which these stories were told- really fascinated me, and I found them to be very engaging.  It's a shame I didn't have history teachers like you guys!

Thanks again for making it such an enjoyable experience.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.  We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream.  It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."  -President Ronald Wilson Reagan

Pitmaster

I'm planning on driving cross country to Seattle and go on an Alaska cruise next summer. I hope there is an Appleseed scheduled that weekend. I would love to do one in your city.
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

Roland

Pitmaster, I don't believe the schedule for next year has been determined yet. We'd love to have ya at a shoot though! You might want to Contact Reformed Redneck, as he tends to know more about the schedule then the rest of us.

OK, on to my post:

Instructors, as always, great to work with you all.

Patrick B: What's it been, 12 or more shoots now? I'm extremely happy that you finally got that patch. You should know the true meaning of persistence by now. I'm glad my rifle worked OK for you.

Brad: It was great to be able to work with you, and see you shoot a rifleman score. I look forward to working with you in the future, and making further connections with the NRA.

Eric S. and Demitrio: It's always an honor to work with veterans, even when there is really nothing I can teach them about marksmanship! ;D

Pro Liberate: I hope to see you back again soon. If you can shoot both days the enxt time, I have no doubt you will get that patch.

To the Young Marine contingent, I look forward to working with you in the future. If you guys ever want to do a young marine shoot, just let us know, and I'm sure we can arrange it.

Birch: Just relax, and focus on NPOA.

To everyone: This is without a doubt one of the best groups of shooters I have worked with. I, personally, have no doubt that each and every one of you can be a rifleman. (And no, I don't say that every AAR!)

I'm out for now,

Dirk/Roland
The doorway to freedom is framed by the muskets that stood between a vision of of liberty and absolute anarchy at a place called Concord Bridge--Charlton Heston, 1997

"Be a man of principle. Fight for what you believe in. Keep your word. Live with integrity. Be brave. Believe in something bigger than yourself. Serve your country. Teach. Mentor. Give something back to society. Lead from the front. Conquer your fears. Be a good friend. Be humble and be self-confident. Appreciate your friends and family. Be a leader and not a follower. Be valorous on the field of battle. And take responsibility for your actions. Never forget those that were killed. And never let rest those that killed them." -- Major Douglas Zembiec

Pro Libertate

Thanks for the encouragement, Roland.  Unfortunately, I just remembered that I'm going to be photographing a wedding on the 14th of July, so I'll only be able to make it to Sunday's shoot.  I asked the couple if they'd consider moving their wedding date back to allow me to attend an Appleseed event, but that didn't go over very well!   ;)

Anyway... I hope I do earn that patch, because I'd like the opportunity to eventually work towards becoming an IIT-- or to simply help in some capacity.  I love what the RWVA and Project Appleseed are all about, and I want to do my part to help keep good things like them going.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.  We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream.  It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."  -President Ronald Wilson Reagan

George Hacker

Pro Libertate,

I'm going to disagree with my good friend Roland.  I think you can get your patch the first time you shoot an AQT on Sunday at your next shoot.  You have been taught all of the skills last weekend, now you need to dry practice, and dry practice some more.  When you think you've got it, dry practice.  Working on your steady hold factors and transitions at home will do wonders when you get to the range.  Also practice the six steps and watch your trigger work (no dragging wood and follow through).

I look forward to seeing the pictures on our Facebook page of you smiling as you receive your patch.

- ShadowMan

PS:  Don't forget to dry practice. ;)
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

eert

Greetings,

You were all a great group to work with, what a fun couple of days in the Sun!

Pro Liberate- besides the dry fire Shawdowman suggests, if you want some live fire time before your next AS, send me a PM!

Pitmaster- If our AS event schedule doesn't mesh with your travel schedule next year, PM me and we'll check out the range here and arrange for an Idaho AQT!

Michael S.-You are so close you can probably taste the patch!  IF you work on keeping that support elbow under the forearm and your TRIGGER SQUEEZE/FOLLOW THROUGH/RESET you'll be joining your Dad in the RM ranks.

Kelly- I suggest moving your scope as far forward as possible, then dry fire as mush as possible to develop a consistent cheek weld/eye relief.  Once you master those first two steps of the six steps, the rest will come along much easier. 

Birch- You too are SOOOO close!  Relax, practice the six steps, and believe in NPOA. 

Eric and Monte-  THANK YOU!  It is always an honor to have you on the line. 

Patrick- Have you wiped that smile off your face yet?

Dan and Daniel- What a team!  Enjoyed meeting and working with you.  Keep up the dry fire, and I'm sure we'll be seeing you again.

Jenkins Clan- Didn't get to work with you as much on this shoot, but continue to work on those six steps, NPOA, and especially TRIGGER control.  I'm sure we'll be seeing you again as well.

Sara- Try to develop a consistent cheek weld/eye relief with your dry fire practice.  More consistency, less scope adjustments!  Matt, are your listening?

Rest of the Moriarty's-  Great meeting you and thank you for your 7th step efforts.

Ross Clan- What a power group of women shooters.  One RW, and two up and comers.

Jim and Brad- No real surprises here.  Brad was a RM by noon Sunday, and Jim did it the hard way with a center fire on his second Sunday shoot.  Huzzah!

HOPE to see you all again.  DRY FIRE IS YOUR FRIEND!

EERT

P.S. Anyone else interested in live fire practice at Fernan, please PM me, and we can arrange something!

Roland

I suppose I'll agree with the disagreement here! Should have clarified my earlier statement. Sorry bout that. What I meant to say was that you'd get more AQT's in both days. Oops!

Shadowman nailed it. I actually got my rifleman the first one on Saturday. How? I dry fired. A lot.  Every night. And I practiced. probably around 3,000 rounds! That's the key. Obviously, most of you won't have to do it to the excess I did!

Roland

Like my dad just said, if anyone in the CDA area wants any more tips and live fire, send one of us a PM. We'd be glad to accommodate.
The doorway to freedom is framed by the muskets that stood between a vision of of liberty and absolute anarchy at a place called Concord Bridge--Charlton Heston, 1997

"Be a man of principle. Fight for what you believe in. Keep your word. Live with integrity. Be brave. Believe in something bigger than yourself. Serve your country. Teach. Mentor. Give something back to society. Lead from the front. Conquer your fears. Be a good friend. Be humble and be self-confident. Appreciate your friends and family. Be a leader and not a follower. Be valorous on the field of battle. And take responsibility for your actions. Never forget those that were killed. And never let rest those that killed them." -- Major Douglas Zembiec

Pro Libertate

Okay... I think I understand what you guys are getting at.  So you're saying I need to dry practice?   ;)

I'm fortunate to have parents that own 10-acres in Hayden, and their property is really conducive to shooting, but I may take you up on your offer for live-fire practice at Fernan-- that'd be great!

I ordered a 10/22 last Friday, and it's supposed to arrive here on Monday.  Hopefully it will be a little better suited to the Appleseed shoot than my bolt action was.  I'm not quite sure whether or not I want to go with open/peep sights or a scope.  Any recommendations?  I'm sure there are forums for these kind of queries, and I don't want to fill this thread with talk about equipment, but I'd really appreciate your input.  Please feel free to send me a private message, and keep the tips and advice coming!

TruTenacity

What a great event!

There's nothing for me to add regarding all that has been mentioned on the shooting aspect so I'll mention the heritage.

Those of you reading this thread that attended the event is why those of us that find it difficult to speak in front of people are willing to overcome in order to open a new door to your/our heritage via story telling.  This particular weekend was an added bonus for me in particular because I was given the floor on Sunday in order to share Patriot Heroine stories and diary entries in honor of those mothers of the founding generation.  You all were attentive listeners.  For that I thank you.

Now, may you share the stories you've heard over the two days with those you rub elbows with.  Don't forget to do your duty and take time to study, read and own your heritage then help us spread the word.
"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

Roland

Quote from: Pro Libertate on May 18, 2012, 02:03:54 PM

I ordered a 10/22 last Friday, and it's supposed to arrive here on Monday.  Hopefully it will be a little better suited to the Appleseed shoot than my bolt action was.  I'm not quite sure whether or not I want to go with open/peep sights or a scope.  Any recommendations?  I'm sure there are forums for these kind of queries, and I don't want to fill this thread with talk about equipment, but I'd really appreciate your input.  Please feel free to send me a private message, and keep the tips and advice coming!

You, good sir, have a PM.

hawkhavn

No mooses this time???   :P

Looks like another great CdA shoot!

Pro libertate, you may hear some folks talking about dry fire practice, it's been known to work...   ;D

BTW, there are a whole lot of ways you can help the program until you put on that Orange hat.  If you want to know how you (or anyone else reading this) can help right now, contact any of the folks above. (Hint, hint)

HH

p.s. All, I'll wave to you from the other end of Idaho next month.
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

janer

Thanks so much to all the instructors and others who made this weekend so great.  I had looked forward to it for a long time and it turned out even better than I could have hoped!

There are definitely more Appleseed weekends ahead for me.