News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Waterman, IL - May 5-6, 2012

Started by Tornado, May 07, 2012, 10:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tornado

We had 21 shooters out to the Aurora Sportsmen's Club for the Waterman, IL Appleseed. About a 1/4 of them were new shooters. We had a slow start getting everyone familiar with their rifles but they were persistent, had great attitudes and did a nice job of making their rifles safe.

The weather couldn't have been better Saturday other than some mist in the morning. After the first set of the squares the shooter's groups were looking great and it's obvious there will be many riflemen from among them in the coming weeks/shoots.

No riflemen Saturday but Kevin Sutton took a Blue Hat so he can work with his Dad, Sprout. He did a great job handing out targets, doing other errands and helping with the shoot.

The instructors, 2 clicks low, Karl, Stonn, Swany, Sprout, and Steck all did a fine job. What a great group to work with. Steck received a promotion to IIT1. 2cl and Stonn did a great job with the 1st and 3rd strikes and DOM. Swany and Steck did an excellent job of getting the new shooters up to speed which really showed day 2.

Sunday the weather started out nice considering the forecast but proved to be a bit challenging. 17 shooters returned for day 2. Temperatures were in the mid to high 60's but we went from cloudy to hail and severe rain, high wind, with some lightning. The shooters took refuge in their vehicles for 30 minutes to 1 hour while the storm cell blew over. The weather slowed us down but the shooters were persistent and most waited the bad weather out and kept shooting.

In the afternoon, we were able to shoot a quick AQT between storm cells with several shooters close to the Rifleman score. On the second AQT Richard scored a 226 earning the Rifleman patch. Then re-qualified twice more. While we didn't have any more Riflemen, there were several in the 180's to 200's. With a little dry practice they'll be there soon and all made good if not great improvement.

Due to the weather we did abbreviated KD instruction and ended up running to the cars again for a few minutes due to close lightning strikes again mid-AQT. We were able to get in a few more AQT's in the afternoon plus a competition shoot give the shooters a needed break.

At the end of the day we pushed back to 100 yards and several shooters were able to shoot 4 and 8 inch steel. Kristen, a very new shooter put those around her to shame on her side of the line during the weekend and on her second round at 100 yards heard the distinctive 'ping'. Most of the shooters were able to consistently hit steel.

It was a fun, memorable, and rewarding shoot. Great job shooters! Thank you to the Aurora Sportsmen's Club. George63, thank you again for setting up the target line and all you do to keep Appleseed running smoothly at the ASC.

-Tornado 
"Great things have been affected by a few Men well Conducted."

George Rogers Clark

2 clicks low

Thanks Tornado.
Another great shoot. Great students, execlent instroctors.
I don't understand, what's the big deal about a little rain? And the lighting was very pretty.
Here is our newest rifleman.
2 clicks low

PS
Did anyone end up with an extra 10/22 mag with RB scratched on the sides?
Please let me know if you have it.
Thanks
2cl
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

miner49r

Alan here.
I would like to thank tornado, two clicks, stek, stonn, swanny, karl, and sprout for an fun and educational experience.  Did I forget anyone?
Sundays rain did not dampen the spirits of the Appleseeders and each participant left attaining their own personal victories.
Rest assured that the lessons of the weekend will not be forgotten. I will be practicing daily and teaching my girls to ready them for their first Appleseed.

Freedom:
Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of people are armed and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretence, raised in the United States.
Noah Webster

"When freedom shivers in the cold shadow of true peril, it's always the patriots who first hear the call."
Charlton Heston

The Almighty Ram

Tornado, 2 clicks, & all the IIT's, thanks for another awesome shoot! I had a blast & will be back for sure.

--Varun
Jack the sound barrier. Bring the noise.

Steck

Tornado and team, now we all know why it's called Water-man  ^-^

We got to see the light go on in new shooters' eyes, saw some interesting rifles (especially thanks to Ram!) and discovered that a corporate team-building exercise can be a lot of fun!

-Steck

2 clicks low

Quote from: The Almighty Ram on May 08, 2012, 12:36:44 AM
Tornado, 2 clicks, & all the IIT's, thanks for another awesome shoot! I had a blast & will be back for sure.

--Varun

Ram
I got this orange hat see, hardly ever been used, would look great on you.
Say no, I dare you  &) &) &)

**)

2cl
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

The Almighty Ram

With an offer like that, there's no way I can refuse!

I'd be happy to become an IIT. I'll read up on what needs to be done to complete the process.

--Varun

Tornado

Quote from: The Almighty Ram on May 08, 2012, 11:53:34 AM
With an offer like that, there's no way I can refuse!

I'd be happy to become an IIT. I'll read up on what needs to be done to complete the process.

--Varun

Varun,

Send me (PM me) an email address and I'll get the information to you.

-Tornado.

George Rogers Clark

Karl

"corruptissima re publica plurimae leges."
"Si hoc legere potes nimium eruditionis habes."

The Almighty Ram

How about some pictures? I know plenty were taken!!
:pics:

32clickshigh

Thanks again for that outstanding learning experience. Alan, I am going to attend in June, you up for it?

Karim

Tornado

Quote from: The Almighty Ram on May 09, 2012, 11:02:54 AM
How about some pictures? I know plenty were taken!!
:pics:

I've only got 1 picture from this event but your in luck, Varun, because you are in it:  ;D

George Rogers Clark

Castle Mountain

Looks like you had a pleasant and successful weekend for all. Congratulations one and all.

Three cheers for the new riflemen and the new instructor and promotions.

Best regards,

Castle Mountain
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in