News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Chillicothe, IL May 5-6, 2012

Started by Patriot Gal, May 07, 2012, 06:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patriot Gal

The Chillicothe Sportsman's Club is a fine example of a host range for Appleseed in Illinois.

Under a covered firing line, we were all prepared for inclimate weather, which was forecast for scattered thunderstorms throughout the weekend.  Fortunately, Saturday turned out to be a perfect day for a shoot with 18 Americans coming off their couches to take part in their Heritage and History.  We had a day full of sighter squares, IMC, shooting positions, sling use, steady hold factors, 6 steps of firing a shot, NPOA along with NPOA and cadence drills to quicken up and improve the accuracy of already developing Riflemen.

We heard the story of the battles of Lexington and Concord by Patriot Gal and Castle Mountain.  On Sunday, we heard the third strike of the match with the march back to Boston through Miriam's Corner and Menotomy by Castle Mountain with Samuel Whittemore appearing in the first person along with a few dangerous men and women stories by Patriot Gal and Lord Joker1977 thrown in during that timeline.

To our good fortune, one of the Chillicothe Board Members, came to the shoot to observe, but decided to shoot also and on Sunday returned in Period Dress as one of George Rogers Clark Long Knives member.  He told some history of what one of these men did during the Revolutionary War times and explained the functionality of each article they wore for survival out in the Ohio Valley of the developing Unites States Territories.   Thanks so much to Bob for that great history lesson!!

Joshua and Jordan from Lincoln, repeat Appleseeders, both attained the coveted Rifleman Patch with 210 and 218 scores respectively!  Congrats to you both!   O0  The first AQT on Sunday brought another Rifleman out of our line of shooters with Amber T. achieving a score of 212!!!  This was Amber's first Appleseed and had not shot a rifle other than three or four sighters in her brand new rifle.  That rifle didn't make it but a well used loaner rifle helped her show how well she was able to integrate the skills of marksmanship in a day and a half!  Congrats to you Amber!!!   O0

On Sunday, our numbers had reduced to 9 due to other obligations by some Saturday participants and the arrival of a few new students. Sunday brought reviews of the basics along with Ball 'n Dummy, Carding the sights, and trigger control drills.  Students took to each task quickly and efficiently.  Scores kept moving upwards!! The day started out warm and sunny, but we did get a taste of the scattered thunderstorms for about 45 min. of time where we took rifles off the line (they were being blown over) and took shelter in a screened-in porch area of the trap club house. 

We used that time to have a snack and hydrate, score the AQTs, which were completed in the "nick of time" before the storm hit! We also heard the story of "The Wedding Which Never Was" along with seeing how the skills of rifle Marksmanship learned at 25 yds, can be taken out to 500 meters with the right "come-ups" during KD instruction.  By that time the sky cleared so we went back to the line in two teams and shot the dreaded T.V. off the couch. Team two comprised of Thomas, Russell, Kenneth and Bob won the challenge and each selected and American Revolutionary War flag as their prize.  Remember that no flag of the Unites States has ever been retired, so treat the flags you took home, with the same respect as you would our current "Stars and Stripes"!!   O0

Sunday was finished off with a few more AQTs in rapid sucession.  After the final benediction, the instructors agreed to stay to allow the students the opportunity to shoot one more AQT if they desired.  Sooo.....Everyone stayed!!!   ;D 
We shot one more AQT and found another Rifleman!!!  Thomas scored a very respectable 217!!  Here's to our fourth new Rifleman for the weekend!!!  Huzzah!  Huzzah!  Huzzah!!   O0

The afternoon grew late, with gear being packed away, another Appleseed Shoot goes into the history books.  Four new Riflemen were born, forged on the "anvil of the AQT", plus three previous Riflemen requalifying with expert scores for a total of 7!!  John with 211, Glenn with 230 and Jennifer with 232.  Well done all!!   :bow:   :bow:

Here's to all the students who came out to make this Appleseed a success.  I hope you had fun, learned a lot and will return with friends and family in the future.  Thanks to the instructors, Castle Mountain, Lord Joker1977, Hasenpheffer, Brother_COM, and Shooter 30-06, who gave of their weekends and drove varied short to long distances to make the shoot possible.    ~   Patriot Gal/Shoot Boss

(Pictures will be forthcoming)

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan

Brother_COM

Huzah!!!! Great thanks to P.G. and all the other helpers who made this another smoooooth and well rewarding A.S. shoot!

Josh has been trying for Rifleman for 14 months! You did it son! Congrats to you!Josh hit 210 exactly and... you guessed it! He got WET!
Jordan, a fine family friend scored 217! You go girl! Speaking of girls... I told Amber she'd get her Rifleman patch on Sunday and low and behold she did! Kudos to you Amber! (She MAY have gotten it on our first AQT of Saturday, but a neighbor shooter rad the 3rd course on HER TARGET! - too many holes  &) ) And Thomas... Left Appleseed on Sunday with a new green patch in his pocket! GREAT WEEKEND SHOOTERS! Persistance pays off!

Tornado

Looks like you had a great event. Way to go Josh and Jordan! Also, congratulations to the other Riflemen and instructors. Well done.

-Tornado
"Great things have been affected by a few Men well Conducted."

George Rogers Clark

King Kenny

It was a great event with great instructors.  Castle Mountain especially was very knowledgeable and extremely helpful. 

Patriot Gal

A few pics.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

~Thomas Jefferson

~President Ronald Reagan

lordjoker1977

Great shoot all around!  The shooters showed they were able to "drink from the firehose" well, as the scores showed.  The Rifleman patches flying off the admin table were proof of that, along with the improved scores on the AQT's from everyone on the line.

Many thanks to Bob for a different perspective of the history.  Between Bob, Castle Mountain, and Patriot Gal, we had some great history presentations!  <My Hezekiah Wyman was rough, but hey, first time in front of an audience that wasn't my kids!>

Many thanks to the great instructor crew and attendees for a great weekend!
11-6-11 Chillicothe IL

Be safe, shoot straight, have fun.

Oh, and you owe me pushups.

Hasenpheffer

Chillicothe Gun club is definitely a great club and I am grateful that they allow us to use their beautiful camping area for free.  Too bad more people do not camp.
As always a great fun shoot.  Thanks to Patriot Gal and Castle Mountain for their tireless efforts.  I don't know where they get their stamina and patience.

Amber T.

This was my first Appleseed and I had a great time.  Thanks to everyone that made me feel comfortable being there and it was a wonderful learning experience! Def. will come back again!  :)  Thanks for all the postive encouragement and knowledge along the way. It meant a lot!

Amber T.

Patriot Gal

Here's a few more pictures:

~Thomas Jefferson

~President Ronald Reagan

Long Knife

This was a real well run event.  Friendly and fun group.  Met a lot of good people and learned a lot too.  Have a lot to work on.  I look forward to doing it again some time. :)

Thanks to all the red and orange hats for the time and effort they are putting in.  It is a good thing you are doing.

Patriot Gal

Real nice to have you in attendance Long Knife.  Really appreciated how your history added to the weekend!   O0. Hope you're a frequent visitor on the forum and we'll hope to see you at another Appleseed!  :---

Patriot Gal

Quote from: Long Knife on May 10, 2012, 09:37:41 PM
This was a real well run event.  Friendly and fun group.  Met a lot of good people and learned a lot too.  Have a lot to work on.  I look forward to doing it again some time. :)

Thanks to all the red and orange hats for the time and effort they are putting in.  It is a good thing you are doing.

~Thomas Jefferson

~President Ronald Reagan

Patriot Gal

It was great having you at the shoot and glad to know that some of our local promotions paid off!  Hope to see you again along with some of your friends.   O0

Patriot Gal

Quote from: Amber T. on May 09, 2012, 12:33:08 AM
This was my first Appleseed and I had a great time.  Thanks to everyone that made me feel comfortable being there and it was a wonderful learning experience! Def. will come back again!  :)  Thanks for all the postive encouragement and knowledge along the way. It meant a lot!

Amber T.

~Thomas Jefferson

~President Ronald Reagan