News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Palmerton, PA - May 5-6, 2012

Started by Chainsaw, May 07, 2012, 04:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chainsaw

I always enjoy the events at Palmerton....

SSG Platz and I rolled in to our campsite (right across the street, why the heck don't more of you fine folks take advantage of that!?!?) Friday night and met up with LiveFreeUSA for a quick range inspection.

The weather forecast was for hot and wet weather.  We ended up with some hot some cold and damp, but luckily the rain held off.

Great group of folks here, at least half were repeat 'seeders back for another flogging.  We had half a dozen younguns who were a credit to themselves and their parents.  Well done Russ, Greg, Ryan, Cory, Oats and Nancy!  It is fantastic to see fathers and sons (and daughters) on the line.

Richard!  Congrats on your patch!  Well done, consistently excellent shooting. Lots of folks were REALLY close.  Igor, Jane, Kurt...

We also had the debut of our 1st Pennsylvania Rifles patch, modeled off of the "Domari Nolo" flag (see my avatar), awarded to those who clean a Redcoat.  Richard and Kurt made it happen.

Hey Igor!  I think you'd make a fine instructor.  Oh, and don't forget to give them heck at those club meetings.
Tom Scheller

Domari Nolo

NJ-rattler

oops think i posted my 1st thread in the wrong forum - newbies - sorry.

reposted here: I attended the Palmerton PA shoot this past weekend and thought I would share my experience.

This was the 1st full Appleseed shoot I have done, with having only shot one Appleseed day on a previous Saturday.  After this shoot, I will NEVER SHOOT the same; I WILL ALWAYS shoot better!

I have been shooting and hunting for over 35 years and considered myself a good shot prior, but wow did I have a lot to learn and still a lot to work on.  I know this program will benefit many that hunt or shoot, and even those that have never shot but who want to learn.

I brought a future Marine who was new to a rifle - on his 1st time shooting he had no group and after day two his group size was down to 4" or less.  He too had a great time and is looking to come back before heading to basic training in July.

Thank you to all those that volunteer to give to others today and remember/pass the stories of our founders - there is no other place like it and I truly believe there is no other project as great as Project Appleseed.

I plan on attending the July shoot and camping with family and friends.  Enjoy and God bless.

rus23

Had A good time, funny how my neck and back hurt!!  My 14 year old said his hurt as well so I don't feel so old. 

Thanks to all the instructors.  Come on out and play Angelo, just remember, it's easier asking for forgiveness than permission!!

See you in July, going to try for an orange hat.

SSG Platz

Glad to hear you guys all learned something, and even more importantly had fun. I look forward to seeing everyone again in the months to come.

Take care,

~PlatzOut~
Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and loard if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

NJ-rattler

rus23

after the one day shoot I went to in Manheim PA my neck and back were extremely sore.  About 10 years ago I was in a car accident and  hit from behind and my spine hasn't been the same since.

For this shoot, on Friday I got adjusted at the chiropractor, and on both Saturday and Sunday morning I took advil before the shoot.  I also notice that almost everyone was laying on thin shooting mats that have no cushioning.  At the Manhiem shoot I too way laying on a thin pad and by the end of the day was wishing I had some elbow and knee pads with me. 

This past weekend at the Palmerton shoot, I shot off of that winter, canvas sleeping bag and had no need for my knee or elbow pads.  It made for comfortable shooting.  The shooting pads are nice, but I think some cushion under them may be of some help.  Good luck and hope to see you at the next July shoot.

NJ-rattler

i left some brochures and a full size poster at my gun club last night after our monthly meeting.  several guys are interested in going to the July shoot or possibly other shoots.  my wife said she would go and camp at the July shoot as well, just a matter of finding a baby and dog sitter which shouldn't be too hard.  it would be great to get a good size group for the July shoot.  maybe share a some campfire "recipes" (Ang?) and do a little grilling?  PA is a free state, a couple of cold beers by a campfire should be ok, no?

Chainsaw

Quote from: NJ-rattler on May 09, 2012, 03:07:43 PM
i left some brochures and a full size poster at my gun club last night after our monthly meeting.  several guys are interested in going to the July shoot or possibly other shoots.  my wife said she would go and camp at the July shoot as well, just a matter of finding a baby and dog sitter which shouldn't be too hard.  it would be great to get a good size group for the July shoot.  maybe share a some campfire "recipes" (Ang?) and do a little grilling?  PA is a free state, a couple of cold beers by a campfire should be ok, no?

Excellent!  Though I'm not to sure about the "Ang's recipes..."

...and because every party needs a wet blanket, I'll be the one to say that the C2H6O would be verboten as per Appleseed and PRGC rules.
Tom Scheller

Domari Nolo

thequietman

This was my second Appleseed, and even though I didn't make Rifleman, I did come pretty close. Third time's the charm.

Both my son and I had a blast. My neck was hurting me by the end of the day and my body was aching for the next two days, but I would not trade those two days for anything. My son claims he was absolutely fine, but just between us, we was out like a light by 10pm Sunday when I came in to say "good night".

But the best part is that he is already planning for his next Appleseed shoot, making sure his rifle fits and asking me for different set of sights.

Now, how about those pictures, guys. I'm still waiting for the pictures.

Chainsaw

Here's a few.  Post them up guys!

Tom Scheller

Domari Nolo

SSG Platz

here are some picks guys, some of them might be the same as the ones that are already posted but here you go guys,

~PlatzOut~
Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and loard if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

SSG Platz

oh and I can't leave out my favorite......

~PlatzOut~

thequietman

Is that as big as it gets? Those are pretty tiny pictures. I can't even recognize myself  :) I know you have them bigger than that.

SSG Platz

When you click on them they get bigger

~PlatzOut~

NJ-rattler

still pretty small when clicked on.  picture our size groups compared to yours, we want larger.

SSG Platz

My phone sizes them when I email them to myself to put on here, the full size ones will not load on to the website, I also put full size pics on the Facebook page check it out.

~PlatzOut~

thequietman

Which Facebook page? How do we find you?

Chainsaw

Tom Scheller

Domari Nolo

Livefreeusa

Haha all you JOKERS!   I'll see you all in July, and as for cooking... My dad once said all toads are frogs, but not all frogs are toads... think about it. all riflemen are cooks, but not a cooks are riflemen, CHEW ON THAT! SSG!
If there must be trouble  let it be in my day  so my child can live in peace

SSG Platz

Quote from: Livefreeusa on June 04, 2012, 09:08:12 PM
Haha all you JOKERS!   I'll see you all in July, and as for cooking... My dad once said all toads are frogs, but not all frogs are toads... think about it. all riflemen are cooks, but not a cooks are riflemen, CHEW ON THAT! SSG!

Well when they yell Fix bayonets, you can fix your soup ladle and charge in

~PlatzOut~