News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Texas - McKinney - May 5/6

Started by scuzzy, May 07, 2012, 02:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

A really good shoot.

Instructors were me, Reddot, Floyd, and spitstickler.

We had 17 shooters on Saturday with 14 returning on Sunday.

Saturday started with many of the shooters just barely hitting paper. It was quite evident that many needed serious help. And help is just what we are there to provide for. All the shooters were enthusiastic and willing to learn. And boy did they soak up the instruction provided.

By Sunday morning amazing progress was seen. This was one of the more successful shoots I've seen as far as progress made in marksmanship skills learned by the shooters. Hats off to you guys.

Thanks for coming out Sam, Sandra, Bob, DeeDee, Jess, Jacob, Kaitlyn, Chad, Trey, Nathan, Joel, Sam, Sandra, Gary, Melanie, Mischa, Bob, Ezekial, and Elijah.

Gary posted an AAR over at AR15.com about the event:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1319900_My_Family_s_Hot_Weather_Applseed__Full_of_Win___Rifleman.html

And thanks to Floyd for inviting me and Chuck to his house Saturday evening. We had planning on roughing it at the range. Neither one of us had bought tents with us since they get so hot inside at night that it makes sleeping next to impossible. Instead we were able to sleep in comfort in a real bed with A/C going. Much nicer.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

floydf

Amazing shoot.  Sold out. Full line.  Walk-ons.  Every shooter new to Appleseed, and most new to rifles.  Saturday started with lots of trouble working Ruger bolt releases, prepping and loading mags, learning how to build loop slings, and lots of problem rifles.  Very slow, sometimes agonizingly slow.

But they listened, they learned, they worked, and they persisted.

By Sunday afternoon, everyone was handling their rifle like a pro, we had three Riflemen, several folks knocking at the door, and everyone signed up to take their part in the American Revolution.

Two words:  Family.  Perseverance.

Two families had four members: the Bailey's, and the Yakel (Berry and Dye) (Bob, Rifleman,215).  It was wonderful seeing strong families on the line learning to shoot together. 

And Mischa Russel.  Nine years old and he not only handled his rifle like a real Rifleman, he was shooting great groups and he persisted.  And his father, Gary (Rifleman, 228), and mother, Melanie (Rifleman, 218).  Hopefully we will see both of them on the Appleseed trail wearing colored hats!

Two people deserve special mention for persistence.  Kaitlyn Murphy spent the weekend shooting a Ruger with stock sights, and shot just about as well as I've seen anyone shoot with stock sights.  All weekend long she adapted, learned, and improved.  Not once did she complain about her equipment.  Plus, hers was the first voice for each of those drills ("what is the first step of firing the shot?" it was always Kaitlyn first, "sight alignment").

Second is Sam Bailey.  Alarm Lister, like me.  All day Saturday he had a bolt gun that jammed and jammed and jammed and jammed.  By the end of the day he was prying every third round out with a pen knife.  But never showed any sign of frustration, or giving up.  We got him a loaner rifle on Sunday, and by the end of the day he was shooting in the 170 to 190 range.

It was an honor to spend the weekend with each and every one of these Americans.  I am certain that if we could tell them early Saturday morning what they would learn, what they would achieve, and what they would endure with the heat and the physical demands, that few if any of them would have believed it possible.  But it was, and they persisted, and they listened and learned and endured, and it is with deep sincerity that I would like to thank each of them for investing this weekend for our posterity.

Every Appleseed is different, but this will be one that I will remember always, and fondly.  Thanks to all (and especially Reddot and Scuzzy for making the trip up from deep in the heart of Texas!), this was a very, very special Appleseed.
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed — where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

Kozinski, dissent in Silveira v. Lockyer

starfox

What a great shoot!!  Congratulations to all that attended.  It is so rewarding to see new shooters advance over the course of a weekend.   We've already gotten emails about the next shoot at McKinney!

Doublell and I would like to extend a special thanks to all the instructors for covering this shoot as we were out of town.  Floyd has taken the bull by the horns on the Dallas side of town, and we're glad Reddot and Scuzzy were again helping out with the 11th hour call for instructors.  We love our Texas crew!   :bow:
"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women,
when it dies there, no constitution, no law,
no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon . . ." - Rorschach, The Watchmen.

Davilla 3-10

1IV

@&)

Russell family checking in!

I saw the link in your post. Glad I made enought splash to be found on arfcom. 1000 people have read that thread.

I'm looking forward to seeing you all again in July.

I have received clearance for training from command- and we want to blue hat for McKinney
Get it dun!