News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Cloverdale/RHIT Student 'Seed - May 5th, 2012

Started by slim, May 06, 2012, 03:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slim

Huzzah doesn't begin to sum it up.

I'll post more later but please feel free to share your input here.

techres

What a great bunch of students & instructors!

The kids and I decided to stop by and see how the shoot was going yesterday.  We stopped by in the early afternoon to find 21 sharp students learning from a top notch combination of Oho & Indiana instructors.

We found that we arrived just as SPQR was telling 2nd strike.

Soon the students were back on the line putting rounds down range.

Then everyone moved on to sitting position.

And quickly into the instruction for standing and off they all went into the AQT.

While the main body was running the AQT, those who had to go early were given the opportunity to ring some steel at 100 yards.  We had a few people take up the challenge including a couple of AK which were great to see on the line.

Up on the Indiana facebook is a quick video from the AK boys wailing on the steel:

Steel Fun @ Cloverdale Video: Project Appleseed Indiana Facebook Page

I will say this, it wasn't the AK's that blew holes through Slim's steel though.  That honor was held by a very nice lefty bolt .30-06.  Sorry Slim!   ;)

After third strike, we ended up the day with some KD instruction led by the great SB Slim that included the most interesting picture of a deer that I have ever seen at a shoot. 

What a great day!  Wish I could have seen you all for the whole time, but it was really obvious that despite the hyper accelerated instruction set, you all were a super smart, hard working bunch of young men.

I look forward to seeing you all on the lines again before long.

Joshua/Techres
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

Ratchett

Made it home at 2:30 this morning. The drive home was a lot of reflection on the day and how one young man woke up 20. What an amazing group of college students, words just cannot express!! Gentlemen it was an honor to share the day with you.

Always good to spend time with fellow instructors, thanks for letting Ohio contingent border raid.

In His grip,
ratchett
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

DaveD

Glad to see a great turn-out.  Sorry I missed everyone this time around.

My thanks to all for a super range clean-up.

Slim, regardless of techres comments .... I like your deer!
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."

Thomas Jefferson

Brown

More photos!

These young men from the College were absolutely fantastic to work with. A number of them had never fired a weapon before and took to the instruction very well. groups shrinking all day long.

We had a FANTASTIC time with all of them and hope to see more events from this College in the future
I have noticed you get things done and I respect that-SPQR

midridg

Thanks for the great day and the awesome pictures, hope to see you guys soon.
Pay the Price of Success in Honest Effort.

GoldFish

This has got to be one of the best collective group of shooters that I have ever seen at a shoot!  Guys, you really made this a special event, in quite a few more ways than one.
Your attentiveness and willingness to learn was clearly evident, making the day much more enjoyable for all of us. :bow:  You Rose-Hulman dudes are sharp!  If we would have had 2 days to do this shoot, almost all of you would have scored Rifleman, and I am NOT exagerating. :---

Thanks to all the Indiana folks for making me feel right at home, letting me shoot their SBR's, and eat their bacon. >:D  It was fabulous being able to catch up with the ones I'd already met and my pleasure meeting and working with Bull and Brian. ;) 

Oh, and if you want to see 3 39" pizzas (yes, I said 39" pizzas!!!) dissappear in less than 15 minutes, bring them to an Appleseed where the majority of th 20+ attendess are male college students, and let the feasting begin.  Wow, what a sight.  Just a little slice of heaven. ^:)^

Pics to come soon, once I have time to sort through them...  I'm not a photographer, but sometime's I pretend to be. :)  Yes, before and after pics of pizzas will be included.

---GoldFish

"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

GoldFish

And here are the pictures.
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

GoldFish

S'more

GoldFish

Oh, and a big thank you to SPQR for sharing with us all the stunning similarities between the Colonists' fight for independence from the tyrannical King George III and the Rebels' fight for freedom from the tyranny of the Evil Empire.  Who would have guessed that  General William Heath and Yoda were so similar?  Of course, we can't forget that Lando Calrissian was a pre-runner to Paul Revere. 

slim

Thanks for sharing those pics, GoldFish. I especially liked the "before and after" shots of the pizza (it was discussed after the event that we could've easily had another pizza or two... and they would've been gone as well).

My face in the "awesome" deer picture perfectly sums up what we were feeling at the time. It was a HOT day and it was that time of the day where we'd all been melting, hence my wonderful artwork.

Perhaps next time we can get a bacon pizza?

ATM

Quote from: slim on May 11, 2012, 05:00:30 PM
...Perhaps next time we can get a bacon pizza?

Mmm... Perhaps you have my attention...  ;)

It was great to meet our border raiders, I do wish I could have stayed for the event.

Looks and sounds like a huge success! Kudos to everyone who orchestrated the details and to all who came out to participate in the heritage and marksmanship.  O0
Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

yellowhousejake

It makes me happy to see the "Rifle Roundup of 2012" was a huge success. Please tell me TR got his video of the handoff to shooters.

We gonna do this again?

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

brianheeter

Hey!  Where's the pic of Jordan posing (and looking studly) with the pink rifle?  There's a certain young lady who made that rifle available on the condition that whoever used it had to have his picture taken with it.  Don't disappoint us...who's got that one?
(refuse to) Kiss the Ring!

GoldFish

Quote from: slim on May 11, 2012, 05:00:30 PM
Thanks for sharing those pics, GoldFish. I especially liked the "before and after" shots of the pizza (it was discussed after the event that we could've easily had another pizza or two... and they would've been gone as well).

My face in the "awesome" deer picture perfectly sums up what we were feeling at the time. It was a HOT day and it was that time of the day where we'd all been melting, hence my wonderful artwork.

Perhaps next time we can get a bacon pizza?

More pizzas would have been welcome and would have most certainly been devoured as quickly as the first 3.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we were all melting at that point, but I still think any of us could have drawn a better deer. >:D @)

Bacon?  That would certainly attract ATM, but I personally like as much dead animal on my pizza as possible.  Being that the meat-lovers pizza was the first to go, I'd guess that's how most of the shooters felt too. ;D  Heck, but a pizza full of bacon is hard to argue with.

Quote from: yellowhousejake on May 11, 2012, 06:46:43 PM
We gonna do this again?

YHJ, I think the general consensus was absolutely, let's do this again.

Brian, if I would have known that Jordan picked up that rifle, I would have been all over him with a camera; I can't believe I missed that.  Somebody with a camera better not have!

Oh, and for those of you who were wondering, SPQR is Jar-Jar Binks.

midridg

Yeah i want to see my pink rifle picture! haha I was honored  to shoot it.
Pay the Price of Success in Honest Effort.