News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

College Station, TX AAR - April 28-29

Started by didactic, April 30, 2012, 12:01:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

didactic

(Placeholder for shoot boss SNAITF)

It was a sunny, warm and dry spring weekend in picturesque Millican, Texas, (site of our College Station venue.)   ;D :) O0 

Of course it was windy - it was an Appleseed event, wasn't it?   ;)

^:)^ ^:)^ Seventeen shooters started out Saturday morning.  No new riflemen, but special credit goes to Ben C, 10 years old, who "troopered through" both days and earned, by his maturity and toughness, the privilege of shooting all the positions and doing all the transitions.   :bow:

Pics and more details to follow, featuring the world-famous RWVA Engineer Corps.
"If not us, who?  If not now, when?"  Ronald W. Reagan

olarmy58

It was, indeed, a good event, and we were all proud of young Ben.  He's a real trooper.

Didactic, did you give the bulk of the history lecture at this event?  If so, was the author of the "Paul Revere's Ride" book you referenced David Hackett Fischer?  My son was sufficiently impressed with the history lessons that I would like to find a good book for his birthday gift.

PatriotDad

Yes, the Appleseed history is based very heavily on Fisher's book "Paul Revere's Ride".

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Seems I'm late for the party... :)

On April 28-29, 2012 We had another successful Appleseed at the great Cawthon Cartridge Club near College Station, TX

We started off with 17 enthusiastic shooters on Saturday - some of whom were from the Houston area. A few were on their 2nd, 3rd or 4th Appleseed. It was good to see Doug, Travis, Gary, Jason and Tom back on the line. Tom is a local who always brings extra water, snacks and cookies for everyone - which is much appreciated.

The Appleseed Engineering Team set up 3 canopies that didactic had brought along. Those made the day more enjoyable. We were also fortunate to have access to the range next to the classroom building and made use of the porch for history and lunch/water breaks.

I called the line Saturday. Didactic, one of my boot camp alumni, and I both instructed and told history. I believe this was the first shoot didactic and I had the pleasure of working together since 11/08.

We stayed pretty busy at first - other than the Saturday AM setup pic I didn't take any pictures until after lunch. We ran a little late on Saturday, but the shooters persisted.

Sunday we had 14 shooters. TxBobS made a drive from the Austin area to instruct with us. Didactic called the line in the AM and TxBobS called the line in the afternoon. Bob's help definitely made the day's work easier.

Unfortunately there were no Riflemen forged at this event but there was definite improvement shown over the course of the weekend. I could tell "the light was coming on" with several of the shooters.

You shooters do know how you will get that Rifleman Patch - FOLLOW THE 6 STEPS.

Until next time - dryfire!
Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

didactic

Confirmed, the primary source for the history is Fischer's Paul Revere's Ride.

+1 to that 'Light bulbs turning on."  Several shooters who genuinely believed I was shorting them on the time on stage 2, late Saturday and first thing Sunday,  ??? were agreeing that "Just fire the stage at cadence, and the time takes care of itself!" by Sunday afternoon!  ;)

Yes!  Yes!  Yes!   O0 O0 O0 ^:)^

And a special thanks to Gerald (the elder), who brought along his sons Gerald (the younger) and Charles.  Gerald the elder is a WWII vet, (whom I did not have the chance to ask for any details about his wartime service   :( :-[) who gave his sons ROC cards for their Christmas presents!  So they'll all be back!  And Charles was knocking loudly on the door, with Gerald the younger very close behind in score.

Thank you for your service, Sir, and thank you for having the wisdom to know that gifts of EXPERIENCES are remembered far longer than gifts of THINGS.

Saturday:

Setting up

Didactic instructing

Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

TxBobS

I'd like to first say thanks to all of the shooters for making this a great first event for me.  While no one made rifleman, there was a lot of progress made and it was great seeing that.  Also thanks to SNAITF and Didactic for helping me out, showing me the ropes and letting me call the line.  It was a great learning experience for me and I felt like I came away with a lot.

Ladyseed Man Slave

floydf

"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed — where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

Kozinski, dissent in Silveira v. Lockyer

didactic

The shelters we used were "Guardian," from www.sportsmansguide.com
Not the sturdiest in the world, but in less than a gale they answered pretty well.   :)  Strong breeze will require some stouter stakes than come with the set.

These units are now on clearance from the catalog, $50 + shipping for the 10' x 12' model and $80 + shipping for the 10' x 20' that we used.

scuzzy

Quote from: didactic on May 05, 2012, 09:17:38 AM
The shelters we used were "Guardian," from www.sportsmansguide.com
Not the sturdiest in the world, but in less than a gale they answered pretty well.   :)  Strong breeze will require some stouter stakes than come with the set.

These units are now on clearance from the catalog, $50 + shipping for the 10' x 12' model and $80 + shipping for the 10' x 20' that we used.

Nice stuff. Boy, I'm about tired of baking in the Texas sun. And summer has just got started.

Anyhow good job guys. Hope to see all you sooner or later on the trail.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Puc

Thanks again for the shelters didactic.  Ya'll did a great job timing the breaks and teaching some history.  I had a great time and met some great people.  Thank you to all of the appleseed volunteers, you are creating a great environment for learning and remembering.

DieslPwrd

ROC cards for gifts?  GREAT idea!  O0
Being born free is a privilege. Living free is an honor. Dying free is a responsibility. - LTC David Grossman