News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Proctor, VT April 21 & 22, 2012

Started by GMB74, April 27, 2012, 10:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GMB74

Instructors/ IiT's

GMB74- Shoot Boss
Nickle
Roadrunner
MPH_VT

Weather- cloudy and cold,  rainy in the afternoons

8 shooters preregistered and all showed up on Saturday, three of these were one- day only.
All 5 remaining shooters showed up Sunday.

The word for this weekend was PERSISTENCE.
The weather was typical April in New England, which means cloudy and cool. By late afternoon it turned windy and cold and a cold rain started coming down. All of the shooters had been doing well, including two youngsters we had on the line. I had been coaching a 9 y.o. veteran of an Appleseed or two who I thought just might make Rifleman. Her first 5-shot group of the day was a neat 4 MOA. Soon after the rain started I noticed she was crying. It was very cold and wet at that point, she was obviously frozen and I knew we had to get her off the line and warmed up. When I asked her why she was crying, however, she said it was because she KNEW SHE WOULDN"T GET HER RIFLEMAN PATCH THAT WEEKEND. Nevermind freezing to death. We got her warmed up and she came back later to shoot some more.
Don't worry Michala, you will get your patch soon.
We had a couple who were new/ nearly new shooters. Despite the conditions and some frustrations, both did VERY well, with Robinson knocking on the door to a Rifleman score.
Rebekah, trust me, you were shooting much better than you think you were. Keep it up.

Prizes awarded for Perseverence:
One Rifleman -congratulations, Mike.
One new red-hat Instructor -congratulations, Tim

Thank you to all the attendees, to my instructor staff, and to Nickle- good to see you again.

Mph_VT

I've been to some Appleseed at Proctor that were mild sunny weather, but it seems to me those were the exceptions not the rule. 

I have to admire the persistence of our small band of shooters; definitely people who know what they are about!

I didn't get to know our three one day shooters all that well, they were on the left end of the line, but saw some good results on their targets. I hope to see them back again for a full weekend or at least a Sunday and some AQT grinds.

On the right the first day Robinson and Rebekah : new shooters, Robinson had done 'some' shooting in camp and Rebekah never had fired a rifle.  It was basics from the beginning.  I was awed by their attention to what was being said and their ability to apply what they were learning practically.  Both were in fine form by the end of the day, in spite of the foul weather and some frustration (undo I say as the progress I saw was impressive).  I was  gratified to see both returning in the Sunday AM, perseverance exemplified. Robinson, hooah! on your  high scores up near the Rifleman mark.  Rebekah so frustrated, but doing ever so well, we'll get you there ... work on that happy finger.

Two of my favorite designated snipers Nathan and Michala , returning to Proctor after the cold, rainy October Appleseed.  It seemed to me they both had done a bit of practice over the winter, and came with an incredible sense of ( and I've said this before about them ) disciplined energy, determination and purpose. Before you know it you'll be shooting as Rifleman.  Mike, incredible children and nice work with the Rifleman score. @!#%$&^* good job!

I left Proctor this weekend with an overwhelming sense of the purpose of the Appleseed Project, this small group of people truly demonstrated the spirit of the program.

Here's some photos. Sorry if I missed anyone I didn't have a lot of time to shoot the camera.

NewShooters showing some good technique.

GoingForRifleman

Warming up

Notice the Redcoat

New Red Hat

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it.

Learned Hand

Sir, the gods of the valley are not the gods of the hills, and you shall understand it.             

Ethan Allen

Mr.Freedom

Quote from: GMB74 on April 27, 2012, 10:24:48 PM

When I asked her why she was crying, however, she said it was because she KNEW SHE WOULDN"T GET HER RIFLEMAN PATCH THAT WEEKEND. Nevermind freezing to death. We got her warmed up and she came back later to shoot some more.

Young Lady, you are already a rifleman, whether you know it or not. You have the persistence that would make ANY NEW ENGLANDER PROUD.

You will shoot that rifleman score because you have a teachable attitude. I am now 57 and I went to about 8 Appleseeds before I finally shot a 211.

Don't give up, don't ever give up. You are an American with a can do attitude. I hope to meet you someday on the trail. Mike Porter
Don't Ever Forget 9/11

I Pray Not For An Easy Life, But That I Become A Strong Person.

THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph Thomas Paine

gundog

I wish we could have gone back for sunday.....but we will be back for another one. Both of my friends really want a rifleman patch. :)
Anticipate the difficult by managing the easy.

Lao Tzu

R1SGx2

Nice job Vermont.

Good to see Nathan and Michala continueing their jouney, in October the weekend of the peepers, we had hi winds and a cold rain often seeing snow flurries, it did not stop either of these two shooters.

Roadrunner  O0 nice to see you in red.

Appleseed, where good people come together to save our nation.
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

dwarven1

I need to get back up to Proctor some day. I have fond memories of that range - Nickle figured out what was missing when he stuck a scoped rifle in my hands up there. All of the sudden my groups shrunk... because I could SEE what I was supposed to be aiming at.

And wow... a grassy range. Nice change from Harvard.
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Nickle

You're always welcome up here, Ross.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

dwarven1

Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON