News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Atlanta Appleseed

Started by cyphertext, April 24, 2012, 05:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphertext

Is there something going on in Atlanta, TX and Appleseed?  I heard that the last shoot was cancelled.

oladcock

Beats the heck out of me? We had a good one in Lubbock last weekend. Where do you live? I saw your post on RFC....O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

cyphertext

O.L. - We live in Wylie, (DFW metro mess).  All I need is a couple of 10 round magazines for my son's rifle, and a weekend that Appleseed doesn't fall on the same weekend as a Boy Scout campout, and we are in!   ;)

spitstickler

There are events almost every month right here in the DFW area. Get signed up in advance because they typically sell out.

BTW: You can always combine camping and Appleseed down at Scout's place in Davilla!
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

cyphertext

I'm thinking that I may have to go without the boy.  He is very active in Scouts and they seem to have something going on just about every weekend there is a shoot scheduled.  April, May, June, and July are out....first one he can attend is in August!

LawDog

Actually, attending the first time without your son may be beneficial.  Although the instructors take special care with kids, you will be distracted with your son by your side - it's just natural.  Going once without him and then bringing him back (again and again) is a great plan. 

Pitmaster

Quote from: LawDog on April 25, 2012, 01:49:35 PM
Actually, attending the first time without your son may be beneficial.  Although the instructors take special care with kids, you will be distracted with your son by your side - it's just natural.  Going once without him and then bringing him back (again and again) is a great plan.

I completely agree. Get the Rifleman Opportunity Card and shoot more.

I planned on taking 4 new shooters to their first Applesed and I had also never attended one. Since the attendees are my niece and her 8 year old daughter, my wife, and nephew I went ahead and attended one so I could make sure I was available to work with the 8 year old and keep her mother and my wife focused on what they are doing. I had such a good time I  am going to at least one more before the one scheduled at my club. With any luck I may get a second one in. I hope to get them out for some preparation before. I'm not effective at teaching my wife anything so I'll hand her over to Swamp Thing and his crew. :wb: ;D

Of the four I'm bringing the 8 year old has the most supervised experience of the bunch. I really don't want the others to think about what she is doing so they can get the most benefit.
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member