News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Holderness, NH April 21 - 22 2012

Started by Andy in NH, April 23, 2012, 07:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy in NH

There was a lot of flexibility and teamwork demonstrated by the host range ( Pemigewasset Valley Fish & Game Club ) and the NH Appleseed staff despite a last minute change of plans.

Randy, the club President was very accommodating and helpful making sure we had everything we needed.  They even opened the kitchen at lunch for our small group.

Ed (Echapin) has a friendly, easy going approach when interacting with the students.

Tom (Downrange) did a great job with our junior student Alex.

We had a good group of students who for the most part listened to what they were being taught and then tried to apply it to their shooting.

Of eight students there were five who were left-handed.  This is the highest percentage I've ever seen.  I had a mental hiccup trying to teach the position to lefties which is surprising as I'm left-handed also!

A large number of students were also cross-dominate or were not strongly-dominate.  I don't recall the exact numbers, but a few of them knew they were cross dominate and the others soon knew!

Then weather on Saturday was great for teaching and learning; warm and mostly clear.  On Sunday the weather turned poor and progressed to bad; it cooled off and the precipitation got heavier and heavier as the day went on.  Most of the students thrived at the opportunity to test their skills as the conditions deteriorated.  Ed's BIG tent was much appreciated!

Giving the 2nd strike ended perfectly with moving right into the discussion, preparation and firing of the memorial volley.  That portion of the day went like clockwork!

The KD portion was a big success despite the weather as many of the students had never fired from that far before.  Sometimes I sense a bit of trepidation in them as they aren't quite sure they can do it.  But then the confidence beams from them after they shoot that 4-6 minute group at 200yds for the first time.  For me that is very rewarding.

Nine year-old Alex was able to hit the V-ring on the 200yd target with his 10/22 with OEM sights not once, but twice over two strings of fire!  He was also able to hang a few other shots on the big silhouette.  Good job Alex!  See the pictures below for the big grin of a very happy young man.

Thank you to the students who paid for the instructors lunch on Sunday.

Come visit us on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NHAppleseed
Infantry - Everything else is just support!

Infantry - America's only all terrain, all weather weapons system!

Andy in NH

The first redcoat:

checking zeros:

Lisa and Carl:

Tom and Alex:

Keith and Conrad:

Doug:

Tom gives Scott some pointers:

Tom interacts with Alex

Everyone loves Ball and dummy:

A bag magazine ends its life in the circle file:

Another favotite - the buddy finger drill:

Sunday brought the rain:

100 yard KD relay:

200 yard KD relay:

Alex makes some some hits at 200 yards using a 10/22 with OEM sights:

Infantry - Everything else is just support!

Infantry - America's only all terrain, all weather weapons system!