News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Hernando Sportsman's Club, FL. April 21/22/2012

Started by PHenry, April 23, 2012, 06:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHenry

Persistence.

Persistence would be a good descriptor for this event, as that was what the shooters displayed in spades. With heavy rain, thunderstorms and yes, even tornadoes on the weather reports - they still came. 32 fearless Americans, determined to improve their characters through adversity showed up early Sat AM ready to work, ready to learn, ready to honor the ideals and traditions of the Founders.

Did I mention rain? Sure, it rained. It rained quite a lot. Did we stop? Did we even slow down? Well, if not for the courage of the shooters we would have, but they never flinched! When the rain blew well under the firing line cover and soaked everything, they kept on shooting and listening and learning. It was absolutely inspiring! I did not hear a single disparaging word - I mean other than my own pathetic little girl whimpering about wet feet.  ^-^

Some familiar faces mixed in with many new faces combined to create an amazing event. Always a pleasure to see Gene, Andy and Alison (AKA: "Rifle Sherpa"). Even Tim and Jill came out, shooting their "big rifles" - always good to see ya'll. Moses and his two truly great kids - Sophia and Mateo. Chris and his lovely bride Maritza (who is a darn fine shot) along with their son Alex - most welcome "repeat offenders". Good thing Chris came, since I got an instructor's truck stuck out on the 200 yard line Sunday, and he has a 4wd and carries ca chain.  :-[  I owe you one sir.

Lots of new shooters were on this line as well - great to meet each of you and we hope to see you at another event soon.

Two Rifleman were revealed on Saturday - Mac and Greg - Congrats gentlemen! Several more are getting close, as much improvement was displayed throughout the weekend. Nearly ever shooter brung a teachable attitude and did their best to employ the time honored traditions of the Rifleman.

If so many great students weren't enough, we was blessed with some imported talent from frosty Wisconsin! Many thanks to LadyVetch and BellRinger from WI. Thanks to a better than average number of qualified instructors, I got to spend most of the weekend sitting and pointing and doodling - every shoot boss' dream.  Just don't mention that part to Fred or he'll clown bat me good! ~~:)

While the rain was pretty intense on Sat and offered us a good dousing on Sunday AM - it turned plain beautiful for most of Sunday - Lady Liberty was surely watching over us. Not a single tornado to be seen. The wind picked up and the temps plummeted - quite cool for this time of year in the Sunshine state!

On a personal note - I have to say that as tired as I was by Sunday eve (hey, sitting is hard work for me!), when Jan came up and shook my hand, looked me hard in the eye and thanked me - I felt like new again. So many great people - it's flat humbling to be a part of Appleseeds. I thank each and every one of you who came out - students and instructors alike, sincerely. Every event makes me feel just a little bit better about our country. I'm going camping soon with Anabelle and I can look her in eye and assure her there are some truly great people in America.

In Liberty,
PHenry

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

BrownBess

Ya gotta love those rain drops dripping from that muzzle....sounds like a fun time was had by all.....

Peg Leg BILL

Wow - 32 shooters. Great job getting the word out to get them there and I know they learned a great deal. Outstanding.
It is not the number of soldiers in the battle that decides victory, it is the WILL inside each soldier to PRESS THE FIGHT, without thought of personal safety, but only of decisive victory. Of many, I am one - stand with me and we will have 360 degrees of security and zones of fire. OOH RAH!

Old Glory!

Quote from: PHenry on April 23, 2012, 06:24:41 PM
my own pathetic little girl whimpering about wet feet.  ^-^

I DOUBT that!   :cool2:

Quote from: PHenry on April 23, 2012, 06:24:41 PM
we was blessed with some imported talent from frosty Wisconsin! Many thanks to LadyVetch and BellRinger from WI.

You all made it through a Drenchingseed.  Commendable!   :bow:   What's next?!  An Icicleseed patch like BellRingers, you say?    We'd be proud to host our soggy friends from Florida, anytime.  >:D   We have some gorgeous campgrounds in WI, PHenry.

Nice work all!

p.s.  If you are thinking about that Icicleseed patch, I must recommend a good read on the Hinkley, MN AAR from this weekend. 
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=29160.msg218685#msg218685
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

alkeford

We had a great appleseed with a lot of dedication by ALL. Dont let PHenry fool you he was just as wet as the rest of us,thats him covering the target line.and congrats to Panhead and the orange hat promos.And special thanks to the shooters for showing up and Hernando sports club for hosting us.
Esse Quam Videri (To be rather than seem to be)
Powder With My Brother Ball Most Hero Like Doth Conquer All,
Tomet Nosce
The Suda, a tenth century encyclopedia of Greek Knowledge, says: "the proverb is applied to those whose boasts exceed what they are,"and that "know thyself" is a warning to pay no attention to the opinion of the multitude.

panhead

howdy

Great job by all! I expected a much lighter firing line on Sunday after the fire hose type drenching the rifles got Saturday afternoon. PHenry advised a full cleaning and wood stock drying out, perfect alibi to not show back up...happily my pessimism was off base.

We pulled out fresh backers and had those babies up just in time for the first sprinkles of Sunday morning. PHenry and Sean shoot here magically produced drop cloths and a slew (southern term for a bunch) of black trash bags and kept morale sky high as they dodged the raindrops and kept the line dry. It wasn't even time to start and we had all these patriots ready to take up where they had left off.

A great April 19 event, time line throughout the day, reminding all of what had been happening at that time of day 237 years ago.

A lot of repeat offenders, hopefully working their 7th step magic on family, friends and co-workers...

We're doing it again in June. Hope to see you back. I'll be there.
But, the price they paid to win us our liberty? Few of us can comprehend it. Even fewer of us would want - or even be willing - to pay it. But all of us should know - at least - about it.

Never forget. Just to remember, is to honor.  -Fred