News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Harvard MA 4/21-22/2012

Started by dwarven1, April 23, 2012, 02:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwarven1

Harvard MA 4/21-22 AAR

Instructors
Lupis42 - Shoot Boss
Voidoid - Shoot Boss In Training.
Luv2BFree - Line boss for second line
Goodpiper
Dwarven1
Aim
Round Trip

IITs
Kaylee
Mr.Freedom
AmericaStandsStrong
MetalgodZ
RIJake
Lima Tango

IIT Advancements
Probably Kaylee, RIJake, Lima Tango and Mr.Freedom but Lupis42 will have to update this.

Weather
Saturday - cloudy and cool in the morning, with the sun coming out by noon and baking us to a delicate crisp by 4:30 (about 80 degrees).
Sunday - "Play Misty for me" in the morning, gradually turning into "Listen To the Rythm of the Falling Rain" by 4:00 PM.

Pre-reg count: 17
Actual count: I think it turned out to be about 25 on Saturday and about 18 on Sunday. I'd say (without having the sign-in sheet in front of me) that we were probably at least 50% free shooters between the ladies and under 21's that showed up. We had two shooters 12 and under, 12-year-old Libby and her 8 year old brother James.

At least 4-5 LTRs were loaned out, round count was somewhere north of 1100 for the weekend.
Three Riflemen; no new IITs, alas.

We had two lines; one range was the only one that could handle center-fire rifles (two ARs and an M14). Plenty of Instructors and IITs to handle the crowd; that worked out well. On the second day, we split up the shooters by skill level - the ones that needed more attention on the .22 range and the more advanced shooters on the other range. This worked out well, I think.

Safety issues - I did not see any.

Good things - lot of first time shooters, including a few that didn't have their own rifles. As usual, the AS personnel stepped up and made up the shortfall.

Good shoot, all in all. I think we'll see some of these shooters back to try for their Rifleman patches.

One personal observation: a Williams FireSight red front blade really vanishes when you're shooting Redcoats and Red AQTs.  :(
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

RIjake

Not sure if it's a good thing that you overlooked me for showing up as an IIT or maybe I failed miserably and am not worthy to be counted :-\

dwarven1

Quote from: RIjake on April 23, 2012, 02:41:03 PM
Not sure if it's a good thing that you overlooked me for showing up as an IIT or maybe I failed miserably and am not worthy to be counted :-\

It was more that I didn't know who you were - I remember one IIT that I didn't recognize and who's name I didn't know, so that must have been you! I'll go modify the original post now. And add Lima Tango to it, while I think about it.
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Lima Tango

This was a great shoot. It was awesome to see new shooters go from missing paper to getting on target in just a day or so. I loved getting in there and coaching with all the new shooters. They were awesome and all brought "teachable attitudes". If anyone took pics I'd love to see 'em!

Round Trip

Maybe the best AS I've been to, instructor crew was first rate, shooters all motivated, most well prepared.  Though hard sun and rain there was no slacking, in fact the cold, second winter Boston area rain seem to make the shooters determined with shot count and scores going up.  Well done
Americans need to face the truth about themselves, no matter how pleasant it is.   Jeane Kirkpatrick

Mr.Freedom

Quote from: Round Trip on April 24, 2012, 10:05:42 PM
Maybe the best AS I've been to, instructor crew was first rate, shooters all motivated, most well prepared.  Though hard sun and rain there was no slacking, in fact the cold, second winter Boston area rain seem to make the shooters determined with shot count and scores going up.  Well done

I totally agree Pat. We really did have a good size group of instructors. There was opportunity for a lot of quality one on one instruction. And the cold rainy weather on Sunday just seemed to make the shooters more determined to improve. Also I thought the mood of the weekend was very upbeat and encouraging.

One new shooter, Marcia, managed a 186 and was not far from a 206 with a couple of what ifs. She was a shining example of a student with a teachable attitude and worked hard on what was taught.

I thought their whole family was great and I am so glad they came to the event.

Don't Ever Forget 9/11

I Pray Not For An Easy Life, But That I Become A Strong Person.

THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph Thomas Paine

mj52

Pictures?

There's 1 in particular I'm looking for. Nod, nod, wink, wink. That good lookin fella. IMHOß

AmericaStandsStrong

I will be uploading pics tonight.

mj52

Thanks,

I'm applying what I learned every day. There isn't a broad side of a barn within 4 counties that doesn't fear my name.

I've talked this up to all that will listen. Most are afraid, of what I'm not sure.

AmericaStandsStrong

AmericaStandsStrong

AmericaStandsStrong

Sorry that's all the photos I have. I know other instructors got pictures of Mike getting his rifleman patch. Just a matter of them posting them.

resq2piper

The wife and I had a great time! I learned a lot and all the instructors where great, A JOB WELL DONE!  ;D
Thanks to (And sorry if I missed anyone) Jeremy, Matt, Eric, Kaylee, Andre you guys where great.
We'll for me shooting a 202 has gotten me so determined to get my "Patch" that I am going to Pomfret CT next weekend! But I will back to Harvard soon, and hopefully no rain this time.

Watch you 6 and keep your powder dry!
Ken
Watch Your "6" and keep your powder dry!

hbennett

Thanks to the all the staff and instructors that made this event possible.  I had an awesome time!  I have been to many other training sessions in various shooting disciplines and spent lots more $$ to attend those sessions.  Few, if any, come close to the quality of training provided at an Appleseed.   Well done ladies and gentlemen!  Well done!

I am also always impressed by the quality and committment displayed by my fellow shooters.  Any folks that brave foul weather, heat, bugs, put aside their usual responsibilities and schedule,  and dedicate time to learn about the cost of their liberty, and that make an effort to learn a skill such as this, my hat is off to you.  You are the backbone,and the class of this great nation.  You give me hope that America still has citizens that are willing to put forth an effort to save it.  I am proud to have spent a weekend with you.

As for me, this was my fifth or sixth or maybe seventh Appleseed.  Previously I made rifleman with a semi-auto 10/22, but this 50-something wanted the challenge of making Rifleman the hard way, with a bolt-gun and iron sights which I did.  The rain also added to the challenge, not to mention the dust and muzzleblast from the AR with the muzzlebrake along side me.  Haha! I wanted a challenge and I got  it!

What makes this sweeter is that I got to make Rifleman in the shadow of BOTH the birthplace of Liberty, and the birthplace of Johnny Appleseed.. Pretty cool.   

Now that I have accomplished what I felt I need to do, my new task will be that of advocate and recruiter for Appleseed.  I am relentless in my hammering my shooting friends, and my co-workers, in challenging them to attend an Appleseed. However, foremost of my  recruits will be my own children.  Every  American needs hear the history to keep this heritage alive.   

Again, many, many  thanks to all involved.

sincerely,
hbennett

Focus Your Mind on Keeping the Front Sight on the Target
--
"I'm a free born man of the U.S.A."

Lima Tango

The photos look great! I can't wait to see you all soon!

dwarven1

Round Trip's photos:

Boy, those AQTs don't stand up to a little rain well at all, do they?

Rain... mud... Yup, we're at Harvard!

Pay attention, shooters!

Heh... apparently some of these shooters think they're made of sugar and going to melt. We may have to start having Luv2BFree explain to these guys how she shot Rifleman in Tropical Storm Danny - while lying in a 3" deep puddle that was about 3 feet wide, flowing under her mat... WITHOUT EVEN USING A SLING. (That's not exaggeration, BTW... I was the SB there and was instructing on her line, so I watched her do it.)

Round Trip, you're supposed to be SCORING those things!! Back to work!  ~~:)

GEORGE WASHINGTON

resq2piper

Quote from: dwarven1 on April 28, 2012, 10:13:10 PM
Heh... apparently some of these shooters think they're made of sugar and going to melt. We may have to start having Luv2BFree explain to these guys how she shot Rifleman in Tropical Storm Danny - while lying in a 3" deep puddle that was about 3 feet wide, flowing under her mat... WITHOUT EVEN USING A SLING. (That's not exaggeration, BTW... I was the SB there and was instructing on her line, so I watched her do it.)

Remember the old saying "You must improvise, overcome and adapt"  ;)   :))
My daddy didn't raise no fool  **)
trust me it really didnt help much I think I was getting wetter being under the cover  &)

resq2piper

Quote from: hbennett on April 28, 2012, 12:53:02 PM

As for me, this was my fifth or sixth or maybe seventh Appleseed.  Previously I made rifleman with a semi-auto 10/22, but this 50-something wanted the challenge of making Rifleman the hard way, with a bolt-gun and iron sights which I did.  The rain also added to the challenge, not to mention the dust and muzzleblast from the AR with the muzzlebrake along side me.  Haha! I wanted a challenge and I got  it!

CONGRATS! I was impressed with you doing it also with a bolt gun!  O0  :bow:

Mr.Freedom

Does anyone out there have a picture of Mike getting his Rifleman patch? Alix perhaps?? Please post if you have it, we love pictures.
Don't Ever Forget 9/11

THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph Thomas Paine

dwarven1

Quote from: Mr.Freedom on April 29, 2012, 02:10:06 PM
Does anyone out there have a picture of Mike getting his Rifleman patch? Alix perhaps?? Please post if you have it, we love pictures.

I might have it; I'll try and get the pix off my phone tomorrow.

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Mr.Freedom

Don't Ever Forget 9/11

dwarven1

The line. Note the nice new telephone poles anchoring the ends, thanks to the Harvard Sportsmen's Club grounds crew! (the chairman of the grounds crew is an Appleseed attendee, too, I might add). Now... let's just hope some Bubba with a Browning doesn't shoot them all up.

Uh, Matt? You're blocking the Rifleman Patch!

Henry, you're supposed to be looking at the camera...

A little after-shoot relaxation on the Back Forty range with the dueling trees. In the pouring range. Didn't last long as the rain started coming down even harder and some of our "waterproof" gear reached the end of "waterproof".

GEORGE WASHINGTON

mj52

There are pictures of the first 2 new Riflemen from 4/21-22. But there is still one I'm personally interested in seeing.

I'm still smiling and looking for a semi, any sugestions? CZ is my first and so far only love

Thanks to all, MJ52

dwarven1

Quote from: mj52 on May 02, 2012, 09:06:16 AM
There are pictures of the first 2 new Riflemen from 4/21-22. But there is still one I'm personally interested in seeing.

I'm still smiling and looking for a semi, any sugestions? CZ is my first and so far only love

Thanks to all, MJ52

A 10/22 is always a nice rifle - you can literally build one yourself with ZERO Ruger parts in it. (Volquartsen and Nodak Spud make serial-numbered receivers that are made with tighter tolerances than Ruger).

Lots of folks like the Marlin 60 (tube-fed) and the Marlin 795 (magazine-fed). I have a Marlin Papoose which is similar to the 795 but is a takedown rifle.

You could also get a Henry lever-action 22.  :)

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Kaylee

CZ is my first and so far only love

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-512/
;)

(Though honestly I think going the well-trodden road of the 10/22 or Marlin makes sense)

lupis42

Quote from: dwarven1 on May 02, 2012, 02:54:13 PM

Thanks to all, MJ52

A 10/22 is always a nice rifle - you can literally build one yourself with ZERO Ruger parts in it. (Volquartsen and Nodak Spud make serial-numbered receivers that are made with tighter tolerances than Ruger).

Lots of folks like the Marlin 60 (tube-fed) and the Marlin 795 (magazine-fed). I have a Marlin Papoose which is similar to the 795 but is a takedown rifle.

You could also get a Henry lever-action 22.  :)

M&P 15-22's and Savages have also held up well at Appleseeds.  The M&P is an LTR right out of the box, if home gunsmithing's not your thing, or you want the AR ergonomics.
You can never be too rich, too good looking, or too well armed.

dwarven1

Quote from: lupis42 on May 02, 2012, 02:59:43 PMM&P 15-22's and Savages have also held up well at Appleseeds.  The M&P is an LTR right out of the box, if home gunsmithing's not your thing, or you want the AR ergonomics.

Excellent point, Matt!!

The 15-22 also has a HUGE advantage over the 10-22 - the magazines are open on the sides. Mud WILL stop a Ruger rotary magazine dead it's tracks; the 15-22's mags seem to ignore mud and dirt.

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Josey Wales

..Nice pictures Massachusetts O0.. Glad you all had a successful April event..

........Strength & Honor..............Josey Wales..... :---
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

Round Trip

:---
Americans need to face the truth about themselves, no matter how pleasant it is.   Jeane Kirkpatrick

Round Trip

I'm with the 15-22 having admirable qualities and the Ruger 10-22 so modifiable to suit any desire, I like the Sporter model.  If like Kaylee and myself you like CZ, they are recently producing a new 22 semi called the 512.  Uses the same magazines as the bolt guns, reviews are positive and all acclaim ease of take down, cleaning and the very accurate barrel. If one feels like living dangerously in buying a new product or like what CZ does, it sells 4-5 hundred.