News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Saratoga Springs NY - April 21 & 22 2012

Started by Another D.O.M., April 23, 2012, 01:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Another D.O.M.

First off, I think someone took pictures which will be posted shortly.  If not, I'll remove this thread as it would then evidently be worthless.

The Appleseed events at SaraSpa Rod & Gun Club are always special, due in large part to the immense efforts R1sgx2 and the club members who are also Appleseed instructors put forth to make them so.  This weekend was no exception.

Despite the forecast for heavy rain, thunder storms, and chilly temps, we had a very good turnout of 34 attendees.  11 of these were female shooters and we also had many first time shooters.  At least three had never held a rifle before.

The weather held out for us and we had mostly dry conditions - there was one very heavy downpour on Saturday for about 10 minutes but everyone was under cover for much of it; and the rain held off completely until after the end of the event on Sunday.

Everyone had a fantastic time and left with greatly improved rifle marksmanship skills and a much broader understanding of and appreciation for the sacrifices that were made by ordinary citizens on April 19, 1775 with the intent of preserving the rights and liberties of the future generations of Americans.  Improvement in skills was seen throughout the group, most noticeably in the newer shooters, most of whom were shooting sub-6MOA groups by the end of the weekend.

The memorial ceremony on Saturday was stunning.  Earlier in the day the students were brought to the memorial cemetery where markers had been erected for each of the individuals whose name was to be called out during the memorial volley.  After the volley had been completed we were treated to a bagpipe version of Amazing Grace, followed by a bell tolling off in the distance, and then culminating with Taps performed live by R1sgx2.  A very moving and memorable tribute to just a handful of those who gave their lives 237 years earlier to begin "The Great American Experiment".

Thanks to all who participated this weekend to make this another fabulous Appleseed event, instructors and students alike.  Thanks to the SaraSpa Rod & Gun Club for allowing us to hold this historic event at their range.  And thanks to the weather forecasters for being just enough off on their predictions to allow us to enjoy this weekend in relative comfort (Spartan checked in via phone early on Sunday from Vermontville, NY to let us know he awoke to several inches of fresh wet snow).
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

The Mrs.

A great shoot.  Great shooters with a desire to learn.  Wonderful instructor corp and a beautiful site.  Shoot Boss, R1sgx2 put on one heck of a shoot.  Be puts so much into his events.  Thank you so much Mark!!

Shooters, thank you so much for your time, attention and openness to learn.  From  the highly skilled shooters to those who had never pulled the trigger on a loaded firearm.....you all put so much into your efforts to learn.  You were a all a pleasure to work with.

Hope to see you all on the trail in the future.

Sue
Think with love and truth
See with love and truth
Speak with love and truth
Hear with love and truth
And come from the heart, with love, and truth, and honor.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. ~ Margaret Mead  US anthropologist

Josey Wales

..Saraspa..

..How were the coydogs this time of year?  Any howling all night long?..

..The dedication and sence of urgency in which you all do this thing called Project Appleseed is appriciated.  Reads like the shoot was full of honorable events to make this Patriot's Day shoot special.  That is what will make the difference in winning the hearts and minds of the American public once again.  ..Thank You.. First Sgt Mark, ADOM, Mad Mark,  Sue, Chely, sureshot Danny, Little Mo, Smurf & Gregch44 for what you do. And, I am 99% sure Ryan supplied the cardboard.  Saraspa, thanks for sharing Dude Bill it was a pleasure to have him Instruct with me.  Stay On Mission we have a good thing going at Team Northeast, division New York State........Bless...............

...............Strength & Honor....................Josey Wales................................
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

Spartan

You guys do a great job in Saratoga!  The green hat looks good on you ADOM.  More snow this morning too. Spring will come someday.
"With your shield or on it"

R1SGx2

Let me weigh in on the beautiful weekend. First off, neighbors to the range called and said they heard canon fire on Saturday, I didn't ear or see one, must of been thunder.  ;)

We were so close to snow this weekend, almost had a winter seed, Spartan stopped by Sunday to show the pictures of snow at his house just a few miles north.

Eric brought his dad from New Hampshire and sister from Western New York, On the back of Eric's Dad's truck was a snow blower, we laughed when we saw it, almost needed it before the weekend was over. Eric, thank you for bringing your family.

Now the Rifleman - everytime I turned around Gregch44 was bringing another one over, 9 rifleman in all out of 34 participants, NICE, Russ with his CZ 213, 221...,Ric smiling with a 228, Pete 216 and 213, Mike 214 and 212, Jeremy 213, Jaime 223, Keith and Dave, NOW for Gunny, every time he went to the mat he came up smiling, Cleared every Red Coat and high AQT was ONLY a 247... Gotta work on him. Gunny, not bad for being a young 70 year old.  O0 Both Gunny and Jeremy went to the 100 / 200 with .22's, both came in with rifleman scores at 100, but the high swirling winds keep them back at 200, good work by all. :--- :~

Claire brought her mom and two friends on Saturday. Smiling when they left, like the song, see you in September (in Saraspa Anniversary of Battles of Saratoga).

Cat came back to continue her journey on Sunday. she found out she could shoot better then she thought.

Gerry was knocking on the door of rifleman when his sights broke. So close.

Stu brought his smile and family back to the line, thank you.

Annie coming down from up north on Sunday to spend time in the line,

Dude who signed up to work Saratoga and lives local, there was a call for assistance from Josey Wales in Winslow South Jersey, Dude packed up and said good bye to his family and headed south on a 5 hour drive, reminds me of April 19th.
Dude you bring so much to the instructor corps, thank you for all you do.

Sarah, Nathan, Casey, Andrew and the other youth shooters - good work by all.

Jaime - Nortatoga - thank you for excepting an Orange Hat, we need the help.

There is so much to speak of for this weekend, no place better on a cold raining weekend then to spend with good people.

After Saturdays volley and ceremony, everyone left taller and proud.

Thank you to all the shooters, I know pictures are to follow... And to the Cadre at Saratoga, thank you for allowing me to spend my weekend with you. 9 Rifleman, you guys know what you are doing. :bow: :bow:

And to Team Northeast the New York Detachment for making this a successful weekend all the way into New Jersey. Proof we have a good thing going. I am proud of all of you, thank you for all you do.
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

sgtrock

Team NorthEast,,,, Great Job at Saratoga Springs, NY

Dude

Quote from: R1sgx2 on April 23, 2012, 11:43:28 PM
First off, neighbors to the range called and said they heard canon fire on Saturday, I didn't ear or see one, must of been thunder.  ;)

I have heard that, too. I'm sure it's the Ghost of Bemis Heights, honoring those who fell.   ;)

Another great day at Saraspa--thanks to Mark and the crew.
Strength and honor

Semper SOM/SOM

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state. --Thomas Jefferson

Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty. --Thomas Jefferson

Gregch44

Thank you to all the shooters for joining us on this great wekend. It was great that the weather held for us, but the shooters all turned out not knowing that this would be the case. The forcast looked bleak at best, and yet we had a real good turn out just the same. A tough and dedicated group for sure.
    Congratulations everybody that took rifleman this shoot, the rest of you continue your journey and succeed. Congrats to instructors as well. We promoted orange hats, red hats, green...What a shoot. Always a pleasure to work with this crew. Mark, oustanding job as always. Lastly I have to thank Ric for making some noise for me on the "BOOMER" end of the line. He was our only shooter with a centerfire this weekend and kept my pulse up for me. Got to love the big guys!
Go big or stay home!

Cabin Fever

It was fun to shoot with this great group of instructors again and to meet lots of new people. 
Looking forward to the next shoot and determined to practice more often to obtain rifleman again.
Shoot Like A Girl ~ If You Can!

Throughout her career, it is believed that Annie Oakley taught upwards of 15,000 women how to use a gun. Oakley believed strongly that it was crucial for women to learn how to use a gun, as not only a form of physical and mental exercise, but also to defend themselves.

LittleMo

This was another great event at a very supportive venue! The students, both experienced and inexperienced shooters, showed their willingness to learn and this was reflected in their great improvement. One third of the students were women and they were eager to learn! Remember to practice, practice, practice! The weather was cooperative and held off until we were done. :)

Congratulations to Mark on your promotion to Shoot Boss, to Michele and Sue on obtaining their Red Hats, and thank you Jamie for accepting the Orange Hat.

Thank you to SaraSpa Rod and Gun Club for hosting Project Appleseed. And a HUGE thank you and congratulations to all the students!

Pictures to follow.

Gary
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional!  :)

Marksmanship can be taught and learned,
but the motivation has to be inspired for the
people to become involved.
How many have you inspired that became involved?

http://www.facebook.com/NYSAppleseed
http://www.facebook.com/ProjectAppleseedVermont

LittleMo

Pictures from the Saratoga Appleseed.  :)
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional!  :)

Marksmanship can be taught and learned,
but the motivation has to be inspired for the
people to become involved.
How many have you inspired that became involved?

http://www.facebook.com/NYSAppleseed
http://www.facebook.com/ProjectAppleseedVermont

Another D.O.M.

"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

Smurf

SUPER GOOD PICTURES!!!! Thank you LittleMO!!!! It was an almost, really close, within a MOA of being a WINTERSEED on Sunday!!! What a fine group of shooters. R1sgx2 ran a excellent event!!!!