News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Clinton, IL - April 21-22, 2012

Started by Tornado, April 23, 2012, 12:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tornado

What a great shoot! Everyone who signed up, showed up (with a couple of walk-ons) for the Appleseed in Clinton, IL and we had a great time. Over 50% of the shooters on the line were 18 or under but they were so well behaved that you wouldn't have known it. They all did great at following the safety rules, clearing their rifles, and engaging their targets. One of them, Noah, was our first Rifleman on Saturday! And Jenny re-qualified!

The History was well done and well received by the shooters. The memorial volley was a solemn event. The red coats were cleared by the shooters as we remembered the fallen on April 19, 1775 and the fallen since, in support of Liberty.

About half the shooters came back for Sunday and we were joined by Kacy who came with her Dad to help with lunch provided by the club. I could tell she was interested in shooting but hesitant to try it. But after a little encouragement she joined the shooters on the line. She was timid at first but by lunch was having a great time and hitting her targets well. RBKL and The Nailer did a fine job assisting her and getting her up to speed.

The young people at this shoot truly were remarkable and they make Appleseed so rewarding as we see them progress and gain confidence.

Bryan, an amputee, was early Saturday and Sunday and ready to go! His persistence paid off and he achieved the Rifleman score, shooting a 219 Sunday!

John, also shot the Rifleman score on the first AQT on Sunday! Then re-qualified twice. Several more shooters were knocking on the door, with a couple around 190 and 2 or 3 above 200.

Those that didn't quite get there. Remember, Dry fire at home. You'll be ready for the next event.

All the instructors (Shooter30-06, The Nailer, RBKL, nailer22, Brother_Com (Sat.) Outa Ammo, PlentyofAmmo (Sun.)) did a great job, demonstrating to standards, working with the shooters, and sharing the history. I think Shooter30-06's shadow even helps shooters improve.  ;)  We had 2 instructor promotions: The Nailer to IIT4 and nailer22 to IIT1. We also had 3 new Orange Hats: John, Brian, and Richard "3-gunner". Way to step up! These Instructors and new Orange Hats are all assets to the program and I'm looking forward to working with them again!  O0

RBKL, thanks for the admin work! You made things much less stressful. Blue Hats are awesome, especially ones who also wear Orange!

This was all around a great event and although physically tiring, a very fulfilling and energizing weekend. Thanks to all those who got off the couch and showed up! Thank you also to the DeWitt County Sportsman's Club for hosting us and for providing lunch both days.

A few photos below.

-Tornado
"Great things have been affected by a few Men well Conducted."

George Rogers Clark

Tornado

More pictures:

George Rogers Clark

Tornado

:

George Rogers Clark

Tornado

:

George Rogers Clark

The Nailer

You couldn't ask for much more out of a weekend.  We had an exceptional bunch of shooters who made the shoot easy and fun to run, the weather was great, we had an outstanding bunch of instructors and as always the hospitality from the Dewitt County Sportsmans Club was top notch.  Oh yeah we had a few riflemen and new orange hats along the way .

Patriot Gal

Sounds like a "bang up" good time!  Well done everyone!!  O0

Patriot Gal :---
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan

RBKL

What a great shoot!!   DeWitt Co. Sportsman's Club is a great host and a great location.

The shooters were excellent. Great to see the repeat an new rifleman, and the ones that were sooo close - next time maybe.   I do believe that Shooter 30-06 shadow does makes shooters improve.  I saw it happen several times over the weekend.

Brother_COM brought some of his family plus a couple of extra.   What a great group.   Jenny (with a ! and a heart) looks like a natural.   She would look great in orange.    Josh(y) was so close.  He just ran out of time.   Looking forward to working with this group again.

Richard,  great job.  We saw you at Riley and now Clinton.  I'm sure we will run into you again.   You are a pleasure.

It was great to working with Kacy on Sunday.   I think she really had fun.  The Nailer worked with here in the afternoon.   They brought out a Garand to shoot next to her.  Tornado gave her a set of muffs to go over her plugs.   The Nailer said she didn't jump, flinch or blink when it went off.   9 (?) and she can already get into the bubble.

Rich and Shay - great to see you again.  Congrats on the orange hat Rich.  Shay - Think Blue (AppleCore).  Then Blue and Orange when you get your patch.

John - do you still feel the Rifleman buzz?     Tell all your buddies -and bring them next time. 

I have some photos to post - but my computer is down right now.   Hopefully I can have them posted later in the week.

Again - a really fun weekend with great people!!.

RBKL

Shooter30-06

This was a very nice shoot with a great group of shooters.  Congratulations to our new Rifleman.  From my perspective this was also a wonderful group of Instructors to work with.  You all worked very hard and did a great job working with the shooters.  RBKL, I hope your voice has come back from calling the line in the wind!  Special thanks to Ed and the other folks at the DeWitt County Sportsman Club for your hospitality.  It's no secret that Clinton is one of my favorite venues.  Last but not least I want to thank Tornado for for a very efficient, relaxed, well run event.  Great job!  Hope to see you all on the trail soon (yes, even you Nailer22).
"We cannot insure success but we can deserve it."-John Adams
"Remember, all men would be tyrants if they could."-Daniel Defoe

Sprout

Sounds like an awesome event. Wish we could have made it.  Wifes 40th suprise party went great. she had no idea i had it planned . look forward to seeing you guys again. Sprout and kev. Kev is buying an AR this weekend. God help us.

RBKL

Here are a few photos:

Shoot Boss Tornado

The line

Shooter 30-06 doing his thing

The Nailer doing the 3rd Strike.

I think this is the rifleman smile ^:)^

or maybe the new orange hat smile.

Saturday's Young Shooters:

The whole group:

Great event - looking forward to doing it again!!

RBKL

TheEditor

Excellent!  Congrats on a well run, well executed, and well attended shoot.  Looked like just about the right size for that venue. 

TE
John N.
Author of "50 Things You Didn't Learn in School - But Should Have"
www.heuristicbooks.com

Brother_COM

What a rewarding shoot! Once again Tornado led the charge and all went extremely well. A small "shot before the FIRE command" incident happened as I was calling the line. I wasn't quite sure what Tornado was going to say or do. He calmly found the shooter (who looked like he was about to be whooped,) and Tornado said, "Was that you?" the shooter replied, "Yes." Tornado says in a clam collected tone, "Listen carefully for the linecommands; Don't do that again" and that was it... Over n' done.

We were ecstatic about Noah getting his Rifleman patch! He was too, to say the least! We have known the Browns for about 15 years. They live in our beautiful home state of New Hampshire and were down for the week visiting. They plan to go home to N.H. and get involved in Project Appleseed up there! They have already located and plan on attending a shoot up there next month!

Here's another pic of Noah receiving his coveted Rifleman's Patch! Way ta go Noah!  O0 and others who achieved qualification as well!

On a personal note: I have a Mini-14 which I'm trying to qualify with.... I was 3 points away from my goal  !@#) I'll get it next time!

Thanks again to all the RWVA help. YOU made this shootan absolute joy!

See you at the next shoot!

Brother_COM

Shooter30-06

Brother_Com: I have to tell you that I always look forward to working with your clan.  The youngsters you bring to the shoots are some of the nicest, courteous, intelligent, and well mannered shooters that I see anytime or anywhere.  They give me some reason to have some confidence in our future.  If you talk with him, pass on my congratulations again to Noah.
"We cannot insure success but we can deserve it."-John Adams
"Remember, all men would be tyrants if they could."-Daniel Defoe

RiflesnReins

Thanks for the pic's RBKL. O0It looks like you guys had a nice sized shoot.

RnR

"Come on guys!  Keep your eyes on your magazines. Stop looking at RnR to tell you when to fire. I know you can hear her down there. Trust me I should know, I live in the same house!."  Mutti

"The truly blind are those who will not open their eyes to see"

"How can a man die better, than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his Fathers, and the temple of his Gods."
"Horatius At The Bridge"
Thomas Lord Macaulay

I am not sleeping... I'm just practicing the prone position.

"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."
― Winston Churchill

"The trouble is not in dying for a friend, but in finding a friend worth dying for."
― Mark Twain

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
George S. Patton