News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Wallingford, CT April 21-22

Started by The Log, April 23, 2012, 08:36:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Log

Just a quick stub AAR to get the ball rolling - the dreaded Day Job awaits.

Saturday - "BlisterSeed": Started with 30 shooters, who persisted through the intense sunshine and temps in the low 80s.

Sunday - "Increasingly-Miserable-As-The-Day-ProgressedSeed": Twenty-eight shooters to start the day, and then the much-needed and heavily hyped rain began. As the rain ratcheted up in intensity, to the ludicrous point at times, shooters began peeling off, until we were left with a stalwart pair of hardy shooters for the final COF. And they were both women, I might add.

Results: Five brand, spanking new and soaking wet Riflemen for the CT Wall of Riflemen. Intense enthusiasm both days, despite the conditions, and many promises to return. Lots of questions like "When's the next one?" and "Can I do this in another state?" Lots of trifolds disappeared after I gave the shooters their "homework" to distribute at least five flyers to friends. And, personally, I managed to get water in places I didn't think a human body could get water.

Pictures to follow. And post what you've got. Great job, everyone!

</log>
"The future belongs to those that show up." - hawkhavn

The Log

Looks like my camera survived its drenching. Here's the proof:

Glock23 bestows the first patch of the shoot to first-time Appleseeder Phil S.

Who_Me? entertains the lunch crowd with tales of Dangerous Dudes and Dames. It's a fair guess that this particular bit of history has never been delivered from under a spiderweb umbrella.

Glock23 emotes in the building rain after tagging-in to finish off DOMW.

Rifleman JT takes the patch with a 217 from a bolt-cutter, after a pro-tip from Glock23 about elbow placement.

Jim B. after his scorching 236 - with a boltie!

Shooter Ro steps up for his patch after a 210 - or maybe it was a 212 or 213. Hard to tell with the paper turning back to pulp in your hands. If we kept scoring it, we would have gotten to 250 eventually.

Like father, like son. And, like uncle, like nephew. Old Ironsights bestows the patch on his son (and my nephew) Charles after a 224 in horrible conditions. A Rifleman persists!!

The last two shooters on the line, Kathy and Katelyn. Whatsamatta, boys? A little rain too much for you?

Novice shooter Kathy proved a quick study in the art and science of rifle marksmanship. Here she is using Who_Me?'s custom Marlin 795, "The Pink". Say Kathy, does your hair match your rifle?

"Why, yes! Yes it does! Why do you ask?"

Twi7ch

Had a great time learning to handle my rifle better.  I came in shooting good and left shooting great.  Hope to see some boot camps offered in CT to take the next steps after Rifleman.

Old Glory!

High five to the women who persisted to the end. :)

Nice report!

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

~Kathy

Oh boy!  I see that my crazy hair made it to the big time here!  I can't believe you put that up..... Thanks for the 15 minutes of fame and "The Pink" ~ cheerio!
This was my first one and I've signed up for even more Appleseeding.  Can't wait!
oh yea.... Kathy with a K!!

vernic82

Congrats to the new Riflemen!!!!
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?"
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

"Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man."
- The Dude

The Log

Quote from: ~Kathy on April 23, 2012, 10:29:35 PM
Oh boy!  I see that my crazy hair made it to the big time here!  I can't believe you put that up..... Thanks for the 15 minutes of fame and "The Pink" ~ cheerio!
This was my first one and I've signed up for even more Appleseeding.  Can't wait!
oh yea.... Kathy with a K!!
Maybe you're the parti-colored hair, female version of Samson - it gives you your skill and persistence!

Looking forward to seeing you out there again. And sorry about the name - duly changed.

</log>