News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

HAT CREEK, CA--- APRIL 21-22, 2012 AAR

Started by NorCal22Gal, April 23, 2012, 01:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorCal22Gal

WOW.....!!!!

What a great event!! MAJOR THANKS TO THE HAT CREEK RIFLE AND PISTOL CLUB FOR HOSTING US!!!!!
Weather was a bit warm but it was sunny and clear!
This was my first Patriot's Day Shoot as a Shoot Boss.  The last couple I have been on staff.  I have to say it was a blast!!  This was primarily due to the wonderful staff and shooters I had this weekend.
Saturday we had 17 shooters...7 of those were youth...8-14!
After the morning welcome and safety briefing we turn the fire hose on and these shooters began soaking it up like sponges!!
It was beginning to look like a race as to who was gaining skills faster...the kids or the adults....
Everyone was ready for lunch break as the temps began to climb.  Settling in the shade to eat, the shooters soon were hearing the story...the strikes...the reason....  Eaglescouter started us off with a bit of prehistory...had everyone's attention then said...hmmm wonder what happens next....
I picked up with the first strike and had not only our students listening, but the shooters waiting for their match to begin on the range next to us, were listening intently as well.   At the end of the first strike eaglescouter and polygunner handed out the Bloody Butcher sheets... eaglescouter explained what they were and had everyone eagerly reaching for one.
I finished the 2nd and 3rd strikes and reminded them of the choices and the one we have and to remember the sacrifices they made.
We returned to the line for THE VOLLEY!  I truly loved doing this volley. I think everyone of those shooters understood what the volley was.  As an added bonus... polygunner was on one end of the line shooting at a steel target set at 100 yards painted red...and in the light shade from the trees it really looked like one of the red coats on the paper...deep red...now sporting a lovely group in the center from 13 well placed shots...most people heard the bong of the metal but first thought it was the silhouette match next to us... and were impressed when I told them it was polygunner.
After the volley it was on to an AQT!
It was Boyd with a nice 215 on an iron site, tube fed, lever action .22 rifle who posted our first Rifleman...It was impressive to watch him operate that lever action.  Even more impressive was watching him post a 214...with a Kimber 82G...ummm single shot rifle... Talk about a man who knew what he was about!!!
Second on the Rifleman path was Frank also with a very nice 215!!! Frank stepped up and joined the ranks of the instructor crew.  WELCOME FRANK.
We ended Saturday with awarding of the patches.  One of my favorite parts is awarding the Young Patriot Patch.  Christopher, Jacob, Allison, Vince, Cosette, Dakota and Kora.  You are what renew the faith in the future generation.  Thank you for being there.  Thank you for your wonderful attitudes.
Sunday promised to be as warm if not warmer than Saturday was, so after a welcome back I reminded the shooters to stay hydrated.
We got started on the review and started the AQT's.  Adding the time line in at the appropriate times was motivating.  Even for me.  On a Red AQT right before lunch, Fred posted our first rifleman score...so in front of the lunch crowd...oh...he was surprised with a "baptism in the waters of the North Bridge" (aka a bottle of water) after posting a perfectly acceptable 210 at his first Appleseed.
Lunch was relaxed and we all enjoyed the stories of the DOM's and the Ladies.
Back to the AQTs and Fred and Boyd were determined to see who could post the most Rifleman scores!  Fred posted 3 or 4 more and Boyd posted his 214 on his single shot...oh...he saved 4 rounds and got that score... then he switched to his other lever action with a scope and posted a 221.
Ended the day with awarding of patches.

I really, really want to give major thanks to my instructors.  Without their help I could not have had the smooth, safe shoot we had.

NorCal22Gal

eaglescouter

Arrived home from the shoot about 8:30pm, participants from about 8 through 55 years of age have boosted my faith in both humanity and the future of this country.

Friday night after setup I wonder why I bother to put in all this effort.
However on Sunday night I sleep well and I know why this was the right way to spend my weekend.
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

eaglescouter

Placeholder for more photos:

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

levergun

Our family had a great time at the Hat Creek Appleseed.  This was our second AS event, and we talked our friends into going with us.  We cannot say enough about the terrific instructors and Range Boss, not to mention the B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L Hat Creek Range.

Thanks Joe, Mike, Laurie, Frank, Shauna and all participants! 

My Wife hasn't said anything yet about posting my Rifleman scores on the bedroom wall, but when she makes me take them down I will move them to the man-room out back.

God Bless America,

LeverGun
Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle  --  Psalm 144:1

NorCal22Gal

Thanks for the wonderful pictures! 

Levergun....you mean you haven't framed them yet?!

You and your family and  your friends were awesome folk.  Look forward to seeing you guys at the next shoot!!!

Laurie

eaglescouter

Levergun, thank you for posting the photos and for the feedback.

It was a distinct pleasure having your family attend this event.

--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

Graceful22Gal

Had a blast meeting new people at the shoot at the Hat Creek range.  Was inspired by the young people at the shoot, talk about determination, WOW!!!  Here are the pictures I took during the weekend.
Can't wait for the next shoot so I can meet more people.
God Bless Everyone!
  Shauna   ;)

Leadslinger22

I had a great time this past weekend. Shooting Saturday to get my Rifleman and Sunday to assist as an instructor. What an experience. Made a number of good friends. All was done Safety First! Fred and Boyd and their families made an impression on me that will last (yes, a GOOD ONE).
Frank Schmitt
Leadslinger22

NorCal22Gal

Hey didn't anyone get a picture of Fred getting doused!!????

Graceful22Gal

This was as good as I got......
Fred getting doused with cold water....

NorCal22Gal