News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

BURLINGTON FLATS, NY, 21/22 APR 2012,, AAR

Started by sgtrock, April 22, 2012, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgtrock

What a Glorious Weekend For America

The folks that come to Burlington Flats just keep getting better, Everone here was anticipating a very wet weekend, however with very overcast skies Saturday, it was not too bad, Sunday turned quite a bit cooler with drizzle and low hanging clouds, with rain about an hour and half or so before ending.
    This group of Great Americans that came to hear the story of our Great Country, and of course to learn a few things about the Rifle, were just a joy to have on the line,
    We had with us a young lady name Amber, first time shooting anything, and took to the instruction like a duck to water, today (Sunday) with rifle malfunctions plaguing her she switched rifles and used her friends as he was down on the KD range,,, she put up a squares target, fired a few 5 round groups, did her IMC, zeroed her friends rifle to her zero and shot a 197 for her high score, age I believe was 16 yrs old and she did this all on her own, with what we taught her this weekend, Very Nice Job Amber.

We also had on our line 3 folks from the Utica, NY area, Dean, Aaron, and Tammy, They did a fine job all were first time Appleseeders, Dean and Aaron both shot an expert score of 219 and 220 respectively, a most excellent job, Both of these guys were one day shooters and they did it on the first AQT down range, plus they are rifle instructors in the high power discipline too, They spoke of coming back in the near future to a 2 day event, can't wait to see them again.

It keeps getting better, We had with us again The men from Rochester, NY, Jay and Brad, they were here 11 months ago for the "seed" following our RBC, in which Jay fired a rifleman score and Brad punching out some pretty good scores as well,,, This year Jay did not disappoint, he shot rifleman on every target he did, very dedicated To Having Fun type of guy, awesome Job, He's the one with the North Bridge water coming up in the pictures soon,,,, Plus they brought 3 more friends with them, Ryan, Dan and Jim,,, These guys know how to have fun, especially with Brad cooking for the group, they came prepared, with Brad scoring in the high 190's, he did awesome job,,, Plus he also did a great job peppering the 300 yd target on the KD range, with a Mosin Nagant 8mm, pic's to follow as well, Dan went to KD too, he was shooting a Mini 14, in .223, and did a good job. Its nice for them to see what a 25yd/m zero will do at distance,, pretty cool, Ryan and Jim, very pleasent to have on the line, I am sure they will be back to fine tune they're skills some more, a great job by all, Rochester has some really Great people there, but to have them come here to Burlington Flats, Is our privilege, Thank you.

Then we have a good friend of mine, Lynn, she is one very dedicated woman when it comes to setting her mind on a course of action, Folks we are looking at a future instructor here, we try to get together at times on the range and practice, it is not only a teaching opportunity for me, but a fun time as well, she has been around the shooting sports for years, but took a break of about just over a decade, but now she is coming back to it with her sights set on being an instructor, its only a matter of time, great job Lynn, see you soon.

Next up is Frank and Chris, father and son, both are riflemen from past shoot here at B-Flats when the Hurricane last year took our power out on Sunday, well they have been bit by the Appleseed bug, I know Frank pretty well too, He also has a nice M1 that shoots very well, on the KD line it did some pretty good talking, we will be getting together for some extra range time soon, maybe have a Garand Day,, I love the sound of that.

Now,,,, Last but not least we have Thomas from New Jersey, an IIT that accepted his Orange hat at B-Flats at our last shoot of the season in OCT 2011,,, he signed up as a shooter this trip and between shooting rifleman scores on Demand,, he did a lot of observing on how to instruct and asked questions that will make his tenure as an instructor very beneficial to himself and Project Appleseed in the near future, he will be signed up for duty in New Jersey next month,,, He is 16 yrs old by the way.

My Instructor crew of Odin (Dan), Charlie Girl (Brianna), and CountryBoy243 (Ethan) did an absolutely fantastic job. till the next time, oh and by the way,,,,

Charlie Girl and CountryBoy243 have been instructors for 2 and 1 years respectively, plus they received they're 19 April 1775 rockers today,,, Pic's to follow,,,,

The sharing of the club with The New York Youth Turkey Hunt Festivities went off without a hitch, pic's follow on that as well, of 2 young ladies birds that they harvested, in the 18 pound range,,,,

The Burlington Flats Fish and Game Club is the place to be for family oriented fun in the shooting sports,
Thank you for hosting The RWVA events of Project Appleseed,,,,

sgtrock

Odin

It was a pleasure to work with these students.  They were attentive, motivated, safe and a joy to be around.

Amber and Chris, our younger shooters were great.  First squares target of the day, Chris got a single round on paper.  He listened to the instruction and applied what was taught and his groups kept shrinking and shrinking by the end of the first day he had some very nice groups.  Amber, well that young lady did a remarkable job this weekend, it was hard to believe she had no prior shooting experience.

The performance by Chris and Amber was shared by all the shooters.  Everyone listened to the instruction and applied it.  Their groups just kept shrinking and shrinking.  There were some equipment malfunctions but the shooters worked through it and didn't let those minor hiccups discourage them.  The group sizes and scores proved that.

Jay, Brad, great to see you guys again.  Brad is knocking on the door of being a rifleman, Jay's scores this weekend just kept climbing.  Jim, Ryan, Dan pleasure meeting you, I hope to see you again.

Aaron and Dean did an impressive job.  Tammy, you did great and I have to say it's a small world.  I was not expecting to see a former college classmate at this shoot.  That was a nice surprise.

Lynn, I am very honored to have met you.  I know you couldn't join us on the line on Sunday, but still you came to encourage the other shooters.

Frank, thank you for helping out, I look forward to seeing you at another shoot.

Thomas, your scores were remarkable as always.  The questions you asked this weekend tell me you will be a great asset to the program.

Not everyone may have scored rifleman this weekend.  The shooters that didn't are well on their way.  More important though; all the shooters exhibited the spirit and dedication of riflemen and women.

Finally, to my fellow instructors; good job and thank you for your hard work this weekend.  Till next time.

Deluce Bellum Inexpertis (sweet is war to those who have never experienced it) - Roman Proverb

"Of his knowledge a man should never boast, but be sparing in his speech.  When to his house a wiser man comes, seldom do the silent make mistakes" - Havamal

"To ask well and answer rightly are the marks of a wise man" - Havamal

sgtrock

Here are the Pic's from our shoot

First Up the Youth turkey hunt, Sammy with her bird, and an Appeleseeder as well, her sister is Charlie Girl IIT1

Michala, future Appleseeder soon, nice bird yound lady

Our Young Patriots Chris and Amber

Our Riflemen 1st up, Dean

Rifleman Aaron

Repeat Rifleman Jay,,, 210 to start, but as always, scores steadily climbs

Charlie Girl with an AR 10 having fun

Hang in there folks theres more to come

sgtrock

Odin with the 1st strike

Our Friends

Frank far left, Amber and Chris

Rochester crew with Thomas (quickshot IIT) (center)

More to come later computer is locking up

sgtrock

Shooters at KD Range

Thomas (quickshot on left) waiting for Frank to get done with his M1
Thomas shot a 4moa group at 200yds with his 22 Rimfire, Outstanding!!!!

Frank well,,, can you say dead on the money!!!! M1 style

Brad at 200yds With his Mosin Nagant

CountryBoy243 and Charlie Girl with there April rockers, Great young IIT's

I did not get pic's of Jay and Dan on the KD range, but The Mini 14 did well, the AR 15 of Jays was sub moa at all distances, just an outstanding job by all.

The Mrs.

Yup, it sounds like Stoner Weather!!  It ain't a challenge if you don't have at least SOME nasty weather conditions!!  ;D

Sounds like a great time on our Western (well for NY at least) frontier.  I have had the honor to meet many of the folks who were at B-Flats (instructors and shooters alike)this weekend.  Great folks and great American's all.

Sounds like a wonderful time was had by all, and much was shared and learned.  What a great time to be an American.

Hope to see you all on the trail.

Sue
Think with love and truth
See with love and truth
Speak with love and truth
Hear with love and truth
And come from the heart, with love, and truth, and honor.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. ~ Margaret Mead  US anthropologist

Josey Wales

..Good turnout, strong bunch of shooters.  Glad to see and hear that all is going well up state in good old Burllington Flatts.  Great job Stoner, Odin, Charlie Girl & Countryboy243.  About 72 shoots with arond 1200 shooters all across our Nation for the Patriot's Day Shoot..

..........Strength & Honor......................Josey Wales............................. :---

..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

CharlieHotel

Well done guys, looks like it was a great shoot.

CH
"A good plan executed perfectly is better than a perfect plan executed poorly"

"As steel sharpens steel, so one man sharpens another"

"It's not the dope 'ON' the rifle, but the one behind it!" - Unknown PMI, Parris Island, SC 1984

So speak and so act as those who will be judged by the law of Liberty.
For Judgement comes without mercy for those who have shown no mercy, Mercy shall triumph over judgement.
James 2:12-13

Spartan

"With your shield or on it"

R1SGx2

WOW, Nice job by all

Nice weather for an outdoors shoot.

Thomas, Nice shooting at 200 yards... and in the wind... With a .22...

Thank you all
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

leroyjenkins

Quote from: R1sgx2 on April 23, 2012, 04:11:09 PM
WOW, Nice job by all

Nice weather for an outdoors shoot.

Thomas, Nice shooting at 200 yards... and in the wind... With a .22...

Thank you all

I think Tom said it was 112 clicks on his scope.  =)

This weekend was certainly the highlight of my year so far.  That is, until the next time we head to BFlats.  Wearing long johns is for the birds, we have to come out for a summer shoot some time.

Odin and Sgtrock throw a pretty awesome two-day party for America.  Huge thanks to those two for a great history-filled weekend!

~Jay

Odin

There is a summer shoot at Bflats this August, so you are more then welcome to come to that and any other event at Bflats.  Given the weather this year (and your statement) don't be surprised if there is a freak snow storm that weekend.

I did get some pics of this weekend.  I'll try and get them up sometime tonight.
Deluce Bellum Inexpertis (sweet is war to those who have never experienced it) - Roman Proverb

"Of his knowledge a man should never boast, but be sparing in his speech.  When to his house a wiser man comes, seldom do the silent make mistakes" - Havamal

"To ask well and answer rightly are the marks of a wise man" - Havamal

sgtrock

Yes,, 112 clicks from his 25yd zero, Just absolutly a beautiful thing, oh and he will be on the instructor team for our new shoot at West Winfield, NY next month,

B-Blats has 3 more shoots scheduled for this year Jun, Aug, Sept,

And of course if you're ever around these parts on weekends, I usually try to get things going somewhere.

FWAllen

Many thanks to the instructor staff for another excellent learning experience.  Good people and a good program. 

I've been through a few Appleseed events now and can honestly say that I've benefitted notably...both in my understanding of the true story of Lexington/Concord and in my ability to effectively shoot a rifle.  I've learned more and more each time.  Its good to be able to consistently have all AQTs be in the upper Rifleman level.  It just goes to show that if you listen and apply what this  excellent program and wonderful people teach, you CAN do it.

My son Chris and his friend Amber were also very happy with what they learned.  They mentioned that the history covered things that just aren't taught in school (school history classes tend to gloss over or overly abbreviate many events).  Both also clearly learned how to shoot better. Chris is already a Rifleman, but with a scope...he wanted to go through it again with iron sights this time around.  Though he didn't quite make it,  he did show considerable improvement.  With practice he will eventually get there and be proficient in both scope/iron sights.

Amber really impressed me with her ability to listen and apply.  After  numerous FTF issues with her rifle (it turned out to be a bad firing pin by the way), she took my rifle and quickly sighted it in.  She also progressively got better.  It was hard to believe it was her first time shooting ever.  She is looking forward to future Appleseeds and really wants to earn Rifleman.  She will try to attend one of the summer.

In the meantime, we'll alldo our best to get the word out to other family and friends. 

Sorry for the novel, but I wanted to leave feedback from all three of us.

Frank

sgtrock

Frank, Chris, and Amber

It was a pleasure having you folks at our event, makes for a most enjoyable weekend, Chris and Amber, Fine job,,,
Hope to see you again soon, Keep practicing with those iron sights its easier than you think, don't fuss the shot,,
Till next time, be safe.

sgtrock

Mph_VT

Ya gotta love those BF shoots.  Nice work Burlington Flats. That hill top will always be one of my favorite places.

You had good weather?
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it.

Learned Hand

Sir, the gods of the valley are not the gods of the hills, and you shall understand it.             

Ethan Allen

LittleMo

Great job by both the instructors and the students! O0
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional!  :)

Marksmanship can be taught and learned,
but the motivation has to be inspired for the
people to become involved.
How many have you inspired that became involved?

http://www.facebook.com/NYSAppleseed
http://www.facebook.com/ProjectAppleseedVermont

microred

Long over due Folks, Sorry.