News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Chugiak, AK April 21-22, 2012 AAR

Started by bob 210, April 22, 2012, 11:44:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob 210

Signing in from Alaska! Had a great Saturday, the Memorial Volley went of great, the local IIT's are doing a great job and we had our first Rifleman during this Winterseed! (Yes, there is still snow on the ground up here.) Congratulation Alex! More to come later.....post your comments and pictures here.

Well back in CA now, but every time I leave I feel like I left another little piece of my soul in Alaska. What A wonderful place! Besides the scenery and besides the wonderful folks and besides the outstanding range, I kept finding myself breaking into an uncontrolable smile. And then I would think to myself....I can't believe I actually get to do this! Weekends like this one truly give me hope for our Nation. The morning started out chilly and overcast with snow all around us on the mountains, on the side of the road and even on our firing range....the decision to give out Winterseed patches was an easy one!
  As we arrived at the range we were greeted at the gate by our friendly Range Master Dale Andrews and we began setting up, which included pushing some snow off the range to accomodate the full 30 registered shooters. After the introductions and safety briefing we continued the building of a "Nation of Rifleman" It was nice to see such a great mix of families and friends. We were also joined by Richard & Deanna and their family. They are the owners of the Birchwood Manor, the B&B that is our base of operations for this area. It was great to have you folks come out and join us!
  The new Alaska IIT's stepped up in grand fashion and did a splendid job engaging the shooters. Everthing was kept safe and timely and improvement was shown by all.
  As we neared our 12:00 appointment with the "National Memorial Volley" Bloody British Butchery broadsides were handed out to the shooters and were read with respect. 30 shooters opened up in volley fire and we really made those Redcoat targets pay! Afterwards we shared the 3 Strikes of the Match with our shooters over lunch which included an outstanding rendition by our Alaska IIT, Josh. Great job Josh and with that kind of talent I look forward to doing a local Libraryseed!
   After lunch it was back into the "Making of Rifleman" and by the end of the day, the first Alaska Rifleman of the weekend was made....Congratulations Alex! Alex did it with fortitude and shot a 237! We finished with a Redcoat and sent our weary shooters home with instruction and history....and possibly nightmares of little black squares!
   Sunday dawned cold and bright as we had no cloud cover which kept the temperatures down in the morning, but as the day broke the freezing mark, and after a little review, we began the AQT grind.
   During our lunch break we were given a great rendition of the Dangerous Old Men stories by our IIT's and after the story of the "Wedding Portrait that never was" I had the opportunity to share the letter entitled, "Thank you Captain Parker" I thought it was appropriate as it was written by an Alaskan last year on April 19th. Between tears, I was able to finish and I'm hoping it covered the feelings of most of our shooters present.
   After History it was back into the AQT grind in earnest and it payed off in great dividends! Our resident Biathalon Shooters turned out a good showing as Alex threw out 3 more Rifleman scores; 225, 214, 226 and Grace shot a 230! Not to be out done by her younger sister Mariya posted an impressive 231 and at the end of the day asked to start her journey as an IIT! Among the many Riflewomen, Jessica impressed with a 214 and a 227 and Brenda posted a 220 with an AR15. Our new Rifleman were Bryan with a 213. And on the last two AQT's of the day Richard posted a 215 followed up by a 228! And last but nowhere near least Dalton posted a 222! Good job all! Alaskans continue to impress!
  The only break we took from the AQT's was after a great "Timothy Murphy" presentation by AKMan when we posted 2"x4"'s and proceed to cut lumber. Our resident Biatholon team took the honors as their "fence post" fell first. Congratulations!
   We wrapped up the weekend with the final Redcoat done in "Parker's Revenge" style and fun was had by all as it was evident by all the great big smiles!
   I want to thank all the good folks that came out and joined us and it was good to see familiar faces; Wally, John, Darrin, "Mooseneck" Bob, the Gillilands, but the one who stole my heart was Sarah. She was our designated sniper and she qualified Sharpshooter with a score of 197! Keep up the good work all and I look forward to our next meeting in June. Remember, all I asked is that you come back with one friend.....but you better hurry, because the June event is already half sold out!

If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,go home from us.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. SA

jasoncshooter

Bob and Chris,

I want to thank you both for coming up from California and helping us out. It is always great to see you and I am looking forward to seeing you again in June.

Jason

PS. I think this smiley thing shoots as quick as I was at the end of the day when you were talking about rapid fire  :---

fisherdawg

Bob & Chris,
Thank you so much for making the long trip North to help us become Riflemen.  We had a blast. We've already registered for the June Appleseed and my wife Amy is coming too.  I'll keep at the dry fire until I qualify.  :wb:  We've handed out about a dozen trifolds in the past 2 days too, so I'm sure another sellout is on the way.  The Alaska IIT's were awesome  O0.  I can't say enough to express my thanks for their commitment.
See ya soon, fisherdawg, AKA Wally Thomas
Best wishes.
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."
(Captain Levi Preston, of the Danvers militia, at age 91, remembering the day)

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

Josh Holloway

Wally, guys like you make this program awesome.

Thank you to everyone who participated and helped.  I had a great weekend.  I think we're doing some good with this!
"A Republic-- if you can keep it"

fisherdawg

Josh or Bob210,
I need some more Trifold brochures.  Between me and David and Danny we gave away about 12 with the Chugiak information sheet stapled to it.  We're just going to keep planting seeds!
Thanks,
Wally
PS: We registered for June, added my wife Amy to the crew leaving only 11 tickets available.  I'll be at BRSP sunday afternoon and if I see Dale, well I just might say 2 ranges would be even better!
^:)^
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

Josh Holloway

I can get some to you anytime, Wally.  Probably even drop them by your house this evening.  I'll PM a number for you.
"A Republic-- if you can keep it"

Freeman

Thank you all again for having me up to help out last weekend. I'm sure you get tired of hearing it all the time, but Alaska is truly an amazing place. For all its beauty, what really captured me was the community you have up there. To a person, everyone I had the chance to interact with had a familial sense about them that is all too rare elsewhere. Thank you all for such a great experience. Certainly the heart of Appleseed is alive and flourishing well in Chugiak.

Congratulations again to all the Riflemen and Riflewomen. I saw some of the best marksmanship I have seen in a long time. It was fun to see a group that encompassed everything from the air rifle marksman to the 416 Rigby shooter come together for the common interests of marksmanship and heritage. I hope to see you all up there again soon.
Freeman
n.
1. A person not in slavery or serfdom.
2. One who possesses the rights or privileges of a citizen.

"Liberty is not a means to a political end. It is itself the highest political end." – Lord Acton

Appleseed: The only program endorsed by the Founding Fathers and GSG9.

Mooseneck

Hi All,
Again, thanks to everyone for yet another great Appleseed! I just wanted to post a quick note to tell y'all that I've got some photos to post, I've just been swamped with work and some med issues. I'll get them posted as soon as I can...And I'll see y'all in June - maybe a short fishing trip could be in order if our Outside friends can stay a bit longer...Cheers...Bob "Mooseneck" Ourso
"The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away."

Mooseneck

I know, I know...it has been a while since the shoot and the snow is finally gone from the lower elevations (for the most part). But here are a few photos to keep you going. As I edit more, I'll post them. One thing about digital cameras, they don't run out of "film". I'll be looking for y'all at the June Shoot. Good news for this part of AK - I think spring is finally here, as the trees and grass are finally starting to green up...Big thanks to our Orange Hats and our 2 Red Hats...Cheers...Bob "Mooseneck" Ourso

fisherdawg

Mooseneck,
(aka Bob) Thank you for the great pics!  ^:)^ That was an awesome shoot. And, thank you for let me try that beautiful 10/22, I appreciate it.  I'll see you on the line on June 23rd & 24th.  The whole family, including my wife, are coming.
Regards,
Wally Thomas, aka fisherdawg O0

Mooseneck

My pleasure, Wally. I've still got some to put up, but I've had a lot going on lately (summer in AK), so posting more photos has taken the back seat for the moment. I'll put up more as I am able, hopefully this weekend. I look forward to seeing y'all again, especially the honor of meeting your wife. One of these days, we're bound to get that patch...probability is on our side, if nothing else. I'll be seeing you soon...Bob "Mooseneck" Ourso

PS - Is there an honorary patch for attendance? I'd have that one in the bag!

fisherdawg

Mooseneck, there is such a Patch.  Would you prefer drab olive green or desert tan? O0